Something festive for the fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychogenius

Reaction score
I wanted to make something to fit the up coming season, and although i like pumpkin ales, i didnt really want to work with pumpkin in the brewing process but i still wanted something along those lines.

i came up with a Maple spiced ale.

5 lbs. Light DME
2 lbs. Crystal 60
2 lbs. Maple Syrup
1 lbs. Crystal 80

E.K. Goldings 1.5 oz. 60 mins 5 AAU
Cascade 1 oz 10 mins 6 AAU
Cascade 1 oz flame out 6 AAU

Adjuncts:
cinnamon 1 tsp. 5 min
ground clove .25 tsp. 5 min
allspice .5 tsp. 5 min

Yeast Wy'east American Ale II 1272

Est. IBU's 37
Est. OG 1.075
Est. FG 1.019

what do you think?

That is a lot of crystal. I think that will come out very, very sweet. Also, I think I would shy away from the Cascade for flavor, the very citrusy flavors it can give do not go well with the spices, IMO. More EKG, Fuggles, and Willamette come to mind. Also, a lot of people leave aroma additions off spiced beers, letting the spice be the dominate aroma. I have heard people say that if you use pure maple syrup it pretty much ferments out completely leaving no flavor, something to think about before making that investment.

I am in the process of putting together a pumpkin spice beer so I have been doing some research. Good luck.:mug:

I'd heard that alot about the maple syrup. apparently the key is to use grade B. its less refined and is a lot more maple than syrup if you know what mean.

thanks for the input though. i'll probably drop out a pound of 60. i guess the OG is a bit high for a brown ale.

Ok so heres the recipe as it stands now. the thing is, after a bit of research into other spiced beers i found that many of them have honey in them. would this be a better choice than the maple syrup?

5 lbs. Light DME
1 lbs. Crystal 60
3 lbs. Maple Syrup or honey
.5 lbs. Crystal 80

E.K. Goldings 1.5 oz. 60 mins 5 AAU
Hersbrucker or Hallertauer 1.5 oz 15 mins 3.5 AAU

Adjuncts:
cinnamon 1 tsp. 5 min
ground clove .25 tsp. 5 min
allspice .5 tsp. 5 min

Yeast Wy'east American Ale II 1272

Est. IBU's 37
Est. OG 1.075
Est. FG 1.019

what do you think?

I think that looks pretty good. I really dislike the taste of fermented honey, but a lot of people do like it and do put it in spice beers.

Back