Something ATE IT >=(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry too hear it got eaten. Damn things! I say you get the pellet gun out. I know if I see a rabbit rummaging though my hops I'm going too grab the 22. Lets hope the rest live a long life for you my friend. Cheers

JeffNYC said:
Do you mix this chili/garlic mix with water and spray it directly on the plants?

This stuff is quite acidic, I wouldn't want it to burn the leaves. I'd just put a perimeter of stench around it. :)

So sorry for your loss. SWMBO said that there is no way that I could have a BBgun, so thats out of the question. I will have to stick with the mesh if squirrels start bothering my plants. On the Garlic/chili tip. Someone told me that if I covered the spot in my lawn that my dog loves to dig at with super hot chili powder that my dog would stop diggin....now her breath smells like chili's. Not to say it wouldnt work for other animals, but my choc. lab seems to love it :)

No BB gun? My kids have a couple each! My little one reminded me that we still needed to keep her working on her firearm training. She is all psyched to get a .22 cricket next year. We'll see.

There is always the live trap option! I like them cause you never know what you gonna get!

greenleaf said:
So sorry for your loss. SWMBO said that there is no way that I could have a BBgun, so thats out of the question. I will have to stick with the mesh if squirrels start bothering my plants. On the Garlic/chili tip. Someone told me that if I covered the spot in my lawn that my dog loves to dig at with super hot chili powder that my dog would stop diggin....now her breath smells like chili's. Not to say it wouldnt work for other animals, but my choc. lab seems to love it :)

Most dogs love hot peppers. This is documented.

cheezydemon said:
Most dogs love hot peppers. This is documented.
Great, there goes the pepper option. I have like 5,000 neighborhood dogs.

Any recommended brand of BB gun? I saw a rabbit the other day. Squirrels everywhere.

JeffNYC said:
Any recommended brand of BB gun? I saw a rabbit the other day. Squirrels everywhere.

Motion activated claymores are effective. Just make sure that they are pointed away from your bines........;)

JeffNYC said:
If you're actually seriously asking, the Gamo PT80 is a pretty awesome pellet / bb gun. Pellets are ideal for hunting (well, the hunting pellet ammo is anyway). If I remember correctly, it shoots pellets around 300 fps? I think? That'd be on a full Co2 cartridge anyway. I used to have one of these bad boys, it was pretty cool.

After you get one, put it's head on a stick as a warning to the others.

I was kind of joking, but the more I think about it, it could be fun. But I was thinking rifle, preferably one without a sight so I can use it for sight practice for skeet shooting...ultimately. But that's like two hobbies away...

JeffNYC said:
I was kind of joking, but the more I think about it, it could be fun. But I was thinking rifle, preferably one without a sight so I can use it for sight practice for skeet shooting...ultimately. But that's like two hobbies away...

Unless you're like a super marksman, skeet shooting with a rifle is like...impossible. You use shotguns for that. Also, the good BB / Pellet rifles are pump action, which gives critters a long time to get away. With a semi auto gun like the one I mentioned earlier, you can squeeze off probably 3 rounds before everything scrams.

JeffNYC said:

Remington Genesis is a nice air rifle - 1000fps .177 about 180$

I like the Air Arms TX200 MkIII. Get the .22 Its pricey but it sure works on vermin around the house. I paid $350 for a used one,new is around $600

I have both of these guns and the MKIII is a much better gun.

I cant use the 22 with rat-shot or the shotgun around my house . Damn neighbors..lol

foonder said:
Unless you're like a super marksman, skeet shooting with a rifle is like...impossible. You use shotguns for that. Also, the good BB / Pellet rifles are pump action, which gives critters a long time to get away. With a semi auto gun like the one I mentioned earlier, you can squeeze off probably 3 rounds before everything scrams.

No, I'm a beginner. I was referring to a training exercise suggested in a book, using a BB gun to learn to line up quickly (at several stationary targets).

foonder said:

I think he just wants to hone his marksmanship like you said damn near impossible to skeet shot with a rifle.

If I were to go with an air rifle that wasnt a pump model I would buy the ShinSung 300 . These are charged with either a hand pump/scuba tank or electric pump to 3000psi. But they are pricey

CA300.jpg

Glad to see people are as serious about BB guns as they are their beer!

So I can't believe this has turned into a hunting thread. Here's a solution:
awesome2da0.jpg

With Jason Statham and a gun turret toting velociraptor guarding my hops I think I should be okay.

Go to your local pawn shop and buy a single shot .410. Pretty cheap. Pretty close range. And on rabbits, squirrels, and other little critters, pretty effective.

Better yet, get one of these. Its made by Baikal in Russia. It is a fully automatic BB gun that fires lead or steel BB's at your choice of 1,3, or 6 round bursts at your choice of 300 rpm, 450 rpm, or 600 rounds per minute. It also fires at around 500 fps with a full cylinder, so its sure to create havoc on rabbits/squirrels, birds, whatever that moves.

I've fired one of these, and its mega-sweet.

seeing as a squirrel dug up my crystal rhizome this AM, I'm thinking of sitting out with a beer and the Drozd sub-machine-bb-gun and creating squirrel genocide.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefe.x...dair.com/cgi-bin/zoomed_model.pl?model_id=362

The full auto bb gun looks pretty badass. I'm sure squirrel blood would make good fertilizer. Sorry to hear about your rhizome, did you have it caged in? Or did you figure like I did (because I was told from the LHBS) that once it started growing, things should leave it alone?

foonder said:
The full auto bb gun looks pretty badass. I'm sure squirrel blood would make good fertilizer. Sorry to hear about your rhizome, did you have it caged in? Or did you figure like I did (because I was told from the LHBS) that once it started growing, things should leave it alone?

The rhizome was intact, only partially dug up at the bottom. (small squirrel tunnel leading to the bottom-hard to explain). I replanted it, and set some claymores.

Doxology said:
Go to your local pawn shop and buy a single shot .410. Pretty cheap. Pretty close range. And on rabbits, squirrels, and other little critters, pretty effective.

Those are nice, but I prefer a .22 for small game. I got tired of chewing on the shot!

You know, you could buy a small crossbow for next to nothing at flea markets. They don't no real noise to worry the neighbors, and they can be pretty fun as well.

Doxology said:

police dont like me shooting firearms in town.... dont ask how I know.

Back