Rookie/ half-azzed hop grower would appreciate some help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
I planted three rhizomes two years ago: fuggles centennial, and either galaxy or glacier. Problem is I didn’t give them a trellis or even properly weed around them. I was hoping they would take off on the fence for a low effort yield, but so far 0 hops harvested. There appear to be some fox grape and some other vine that looks sort of like a hop like vine but that set berries. Some of what I think are actual hops start out like grape leaves and then become hop like when they mature.
Needless to say, it is a mess. What should I do? Cut everything back to where the rhizomes were planted and they it down some landscape cloth? Think I could do it now and have some harvest by fall? Or should I wait until Spring?

could tomato cages work as something to climb on? I’m not looking for a huge harvest, but some wet hops in the fall would be nice.

Pics

Attachments

• 3B46C605-00D8-4B59-BE35-42EAD8BB6A29.jpeg
    3B46C605-00D8-4B59-BE35-42EAD8BB6A29.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 873E16D7-9406-4E49-8D24-3B325928F86C.jpeg
    873E16D7-9406-4E49-8D24-3B325928F86C.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 29
  • E7D81CD1-5D23-4A33-87CD-3C8F844AFF30.jpeg
    E7D81CD1-5D23-4A33-87CD-3C8F844AFF30.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
I get a pretty good harvest with out doing all the weeding I should, but if you've got a competing vine and youre not easily identifying your hop bines... Many people do train them to grow on a fence successfully. Tomato cages won’t give them the space for a meaningful harvest.

I would definitely get my hands dirty and clean that mess up. It’s never too late and would only benefit the plants. They might take off after the competition is removed. A simple training set up on your fence would be to stick some wooden stakes in the ground by each crown with an eyelet, string it from there to another wooden stake attached slightly above your fence, run horizontally to the next post and so on. If your varieties are close to each other be sure to train them separately. You can do a lower row, middle row, and upper row to keep them separate. Here is a sketch for you of what I’d do there for a quick and cheap set up.
image.jpg

You may also consider purchasing obelisks or for each one if you aren’t worried about a huge yield but an easier harvest. They will take it over. A user on here has some great shots of a cascade filling one in nicely.

Back