Some Assistance Identifying Things During Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crumb93

Reaction score
I just brewed my second batch of beer; and my first BIAB batch. I noticed some strange happenings in my fermenter that I didn't see while brewing my first batch.

And I have a feeling that a little bit of cooling water made its way into the wort while trying to cool this batch, so I’m a little bit concerned about infection.
I brewed this on Saturday, saw some Krausen on Sunday, and it seems to be subsiding now. I’m concerned about the sheer volume of white cake on the sides of my fermenter, coupled with the stuff on top.

I made a 1L starter with one vial of WLP565…

What do you guys think?

IMG_20150217_155627.jpg

IMG_20150217_155644.jpg

IMG_20150217_155801.jpg

That looks very, very good brew ! Give it some more time and get a gravity reading in a few days. The yeast on the sides is normal in my brews.

That is a perfect looking fermentation....the stuff on the sides is just yeast that stuck while settling. The brownish ring is crude left behind from the krausen. You can give the fermenter a little back and forth twisting motion to shake some of that yeast loose if you want but it is harmless....

Nice job!

I appreciate both of you taking a look at it for me. This yeast is notorious for stalling, so it's definitely going to sit for a bit before I even take another gravity reading.

Back