some advice on homemade conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got this big old kettle with a rusted out bottom and kicking around trying to recycle it. It had been used for cooking fish for my dog team back in the early days. The black stuff on it is just carbon from the wood fire. I was thinking of making a conical fermenter out of it ala this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f258/40-diy-conical-keg-no-welding-262336/

So my questions are that this is a 20 gallon kettle and the cone I designed is another 4 gallons, for a total of 24. I was picturing using it for 10 gallon batches as that is my sized equipment. Too much headspace or not worry about it?

Also, I just took a shot at the cone design.. about 14" tall by 17.5" diameter. 2" outlet at bottom. Look about right? (Hopefully pic is attached).

Also - the thread I referenced used 24 ga. sheet and solder. I'm open to suggestions and even open to having the cone fabricated. I'm up in Alaska so shipping would add a bit but a mostly empty 20" x 20" x 16" box shouldn't cost too much.

cheers, JD

thumb2_img_20150110_144933-64697.jpg

Back