Solstice Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenbricks

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I waited too long to start a winter warmer for this season, and was debating what to do to keep this from happening again. Clearly, need to brew early, and what better time to start than now? So, starting next years winter beer now.

A Solstice Ale.

The idea is brew a big beer this solstice, to be consumed next solstice. Brewed next weekend, with the yeast pitched at 3:03PM PST. First Drink (TM) to be next year on the solstice, 8:48pm for us pacific timers.

A big spiced RIS is traditional, what I've made most winters. But this year I'm thinking maybe a belgian quad, something that won't even be drinkable for 6 months. Along the lines of Bruerys 7 swans a swimming quad. Strong, but with the yeast providing most of the spicey notes. I'll post a recipe as soon as I get closer to finalizing it.

So who's with me? Anyone else want to brew a beer that will be cluttering the closet for the next year? Perhaps a bottle swap early next December?

Based loosely on Averys The Reverend Quad, but with a bit higher abv and more crystal for a bigger, more complex taste; here's the current iteration of the recipe:

12Gal batch,

72%, 32 lbs Belgian Pilsner
9%, 4 lbs Dark Candi Sugar
7%, 3 lbs Aromatic Malt
3%, 1.5 lbs Crystal 80
3%, 1.5 lbs Crystal 40
3%, 1.5 lbs Crystal 20
2%, 1 lbs Special B Malt

1 oz Magnum FWH

WLP430, the Westmalle Abbey ale strain.

Debating switching half of the pilsner malt for maris otter - I love its flavor and think that if it can be tasted with all the darker malts it would be good.

No comments? Nobody else feel like celebrating the coming of winter by brewing something you, uh, won't actually be celebrating with (this year)?

Just got starter going, yeasties are spinning merrily. Looking forward to a relaxing brewtime as a brief respite from this miserable shopping season.

Back