Software to Create Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1sportsdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What does everyone use for software to create bottle labels. I see some pretty amazing bottle labels, but I sure don’t have software to create anything near as nice.

I've seen some creative things done with just microsoft Paint. A lot of stuff can even be done with just a word processor and it's clip art tools as well as importing images to it.

Mainly just depends on how creative you are. I'm not. So I just put a little sticker on the cap with what it is and the date.

I use an old version Coreldraw. One of my sons had a student discount version of it. It made the transfer to my 2006 Mac, but not the 2014 or its replacement. The only thing that 2006 Mac does is design beer labels that are transferred to the new, upstairs equipment by memory stick as pdfs. I've made a label for every brew since #94 in 1998. I'm now on batch #306. Like the last posters, it's basically just me drinking the beer, but I enjoy deigning the label. They only cost me a few cents each. I usually only print 9 (one page), just for enjoyment; removing even easy to remove labels isn't really fun. On the other hand, sometimes I'll do more. Keep in mind that the beer is meant to be served in a glass. Also, easily removed labels fall off in ice chests.
This was/is all very cheap for me because I didn't buy the software. There may be good enough free and different ways (like AI) to do labels you will enjoy using. If you're looking at labels on the thread "Show Us Your Label," maybe you can find out what some poster whose work you like uses. I find @Dgallo's work great.

I use an old version Coreldraw. One of my sons had a student discount version of it. It made the transfer to my 2006 Mac, but not the 2014 or its replacement. The only thing that 2006 Mac does is design beer labels that are transferred to the new, upstairs equipment by memory stick as pdfs. I've made a label for every brew since #94 in 1998. I'm now on batch #306. Like the last posters, it's basically just me drinking the beer, but I enjoy deigning the label. They only cost me a few cents each. I usually only print 9 (one page), just for enjoyment; removing even easy to remove labels isn't really fun. On the other hand, sometimes I'll do more. Keep in mind that the beer is meant to be served in a glass. Also, easily removed labels fall off in ice chests.
This was/is all very cheap for me because I didn't buy the software. There may be good enough free and different ways (like AI) to do labels you will enjoy using. If you're looking at labels on the thread "Show Us Your Label," maybe you can find out what some poster whose work you like uses. I find @Dgallo's work great.
Thanks brother. I appreciate that!

Love the "classic" graphics app names. I have a dated but fully functional CorelDRAW X8 suite for cool stuff but I still use an ancient Paint Shop Pro 7.something for quick 'n' dirty edits...

Cheers!

I use onlinelabels.com. When you buy the labels they give you access to Maesto Label maker, which is their software and pretty much a basic version of Canva. I edit images in photoshop and save them jpegs with transparent background. I then assemble the layout for the label in Maestro and print. Has worked really well for me so far!

How do you print them so they are color fast. Anything I try to print runs if the ink gets wet. I’ve been paying to get mine printed so I have labels that will hold up to moisture.

How do you print them so they are color fast. Anything I try to print runs if the ink gets wet. I’ve been paying to get mine printed so I have labels that will hold up to moisture.
Post processing is the key for me. I'll hit the paper with some spray lacquer before I cut them out and stick 'em.

My daughter is an aspiring graphic designer and makes all my labels in ProCreate on her iPad. I just upload them to Avery and add the details (name, ABV, etc) and print on simple 2x2 labels. Not color fast, but haven’t really had any issues, even in the older ones.

Attachments

• Cup%20Check%20Tap.jpeg
    Cup%20Check%20Tap.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3750.jpeg
    IMG_3750.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 0
You need to buy the right labels. Ink will always run if it gets wet, so you need to buy waterproof labels

Back when I first started brewing and collecting bottles, it was such a pain getting the original labels off, I really didn’t want to put anything back on them. I just labeled the cap with a permanent marker, and separated batches by shelf.
Since I started kegging, I still label my kegs with the permanent marker. A little spray of isopropyl alcohol, and it wipes off.

@A1sprtsdad - I bought some beer bottle labels off Amazon. They were peel off and stick on. They came with a template which I scanned into my computer and then used in PowerPoint as a background. I scanned the label off my recipe kit for the main label and just used PowerPoint to create a "brewery" name for the neck label. When I had everything lined up I deleted the template image and printed it out on my inkject printer. When I rinsed out the bottles after drinking, the labels didn't run, so it worked pretty well.

Last edited:
You need to buy the right labels. Ink will always run if it gets wet, so you need to buy waterproof labels

I use Inkscape and vinyl labels from Online labels. Using a laser printer is the key to colorfast graphics. Inkjet printers will run every time. Even on plain paper with the glue below, you’ll get good results. For that glue, just soak In very hot water and they’ll come right off.

Basic Waterproof Glue
* 6 tbsp water

* 2 packets unflavored gelatin (1/2 oz.)

* 2 tbsp white vinegar

* 2 tsp glycerine
Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until it is dissolved. Add vinegar and glycerin and stir well. Let the mixture cool slightly and pour into a jar and seal tightly. To Use: This glue is best applied while warm. Apply to surfaces using a brush. Glue will gel after a few days. To re-use, warm by placing the jar in a pan of hot water. Good for binding leather to leather, fabrics to cardboard, paper to paper.

I don't, though I don't see the ink running. I print with an Epson inkjet on Artisan's Label Making Paper. They're meant to go in the refrigerator and come off easily. when wet. I usually only label nine bottles in a 5 gallon batch. I just do the labels for the fun of designing the label. The beer is drunk from a glass. To actually identify the beers I mark the Grolsh tops and bottle caps and use several colors of caps.
Currently:
"O" on gold caps for Orange Blossom Special a gingermead bottled in Feb., 2022 All these bottles have labels, but I only did a 2 gallon batch.
"3" on yellow caps for Three Hopper bottled in July
"P" on Grolsh tops or no marking on yellow caps for First Class Porter, bottled two weeks ago yesterday
"T" on Grolsh tops or gold caps for Toad Hall stout, to be done tomorrow

Last edited:
Avery template for little circle labels on cap to identify the beer. Don't like peeling labels and the beer in the bottle is the art not a label on the bottle

It’s time
I use Inkscape and vinyl labels from Online labels. Using a laser printer is the key to colorfast graphics. Inkjet printers will run every time. Even on plain paper with the glue below, you’ll get good results. For that glue, just soak In very hot water and they’ll come right off.

Basic Waterproof Glue
* 6 tbsp water

* 2 packets unflavored gelatin (1/2 oz.)

* 2 tbsp white vinegar

* 2 tsp glycerine
Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until it is dissolved. Add vinegar and glycerin and stir well. Let the mixture cool slightly and pour into a jar and seal tightly. To Use: This glue is best applied while warm. Apply to surfaces using a brush. Glue will gel after a few days. To re-use, warm by placing the jar in a pan of hot water. Good for binding leather to leather, fabrics to cardboard, paper to paper.
I think the labels I get from online labels are less that $0.25 a sheet of 6 and about $0.04 a label. Your method 100% works but in literally print and stick water proof labels in a matter of second. With the 3 little one under 5, I have no more time for beer. I’m lucky my wife still let’s be brew every month or so lol

Yeah. Mine is an inkjet and the labels I use run if they get wet at all.

I just print them in b/w with a laserprinter and use milk as glue.

Last edited:
I use Photoshop. I found the Avery 94248 to be exactly what I want for bottle labels. They are 3” x 3.75”. They can be put on vertically or horizontally. And when you’re done they peel off in one piece with a little finger strength and not too much difficulty. You do have to buy the waterproof ones or they tell you which coating for inkjet printers. You can download their template to print the labels, they come 6 on a sheet.

These are a bit expensive and I don’t label every bottle of every batch. These are great though for special beers, beers you give away, etc.

https://www.avery.com/industrial/blank-labels-and-signs/labels/94248
https://www.avery.com/industrial/templates/presta-94248

Last edited:
Avery template for little circle labels on cap to identify the beer. Don't like peeling labels and the beer in the bottle is the art not a label on the bottle
I used to do this and had so many fall off and was left with so many “mystery beers” I will never do this again.

Back when I first started brewing and collecting bottles, it was such a pain getting the original labels off, I really didn’t want to put anything back on them. I just labeled the cap with a permanent marker, and separated batches by shelf.
Since I started kegging, I still label my kegs with the permanent marker. A little spray of isopropyl alcohol, and it wipes off.
I label fermenters, kegs and the inside of my beer boxes with a piece of the beige painters tape. It starts out on my fermenter with 4 pieces of info: beer name, date brewed, og, and the yeast I used. After fermentation it goes on the inside lid of my beer case if I bottle or on the keg. On kegs I put it right under the out post on the outside. Write on it with a sharpie and peel it off and throw it away when you’re done.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Beer Bottle Label.jpg
    Beer Bottle Label.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back