soft drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soberJim

Reaction score
So i was just wondering.. can cool drink like fanta etc be fermented, and how would the outcome work? Where i work i can get lots of free "out of date" drinks, was thinking about doing something with it. The abv wouldnt be any higher than around 4% without adding any extra sugar, so maybe add a bit.. but seeing as these are already carbonated, would it even start?

Thanks, i actually have 24 litres of mother right now, half is lemon, half is low carb.. as soon as i get yeast, ill see how this is going to turn out! Might just use half of each slab in the primary.. in case it tastes like rubbish. Fairly sure i could still find a home for it! Did notice though it doesnt sound very sweet, so possibly some artificial sweetener wouldnt go amiss, along with added sugar to compensate for the low carb.. am expecting a very watery result though. Are there any recommended artificial sweeteners? Ones that arent just starch.. because that can have quite a bad taste.

Well i began a pale ale, using five litres of lemon mother, which added approx 500g of simple sugar, while i used around 700g plain white sugar. OG 1.067, yeast pitched at 24c, brewed between 14-20c (its winter here), second lot of different yeast added on third day as it still hadnt even formed one layer of foam above the liquid. Initial reaction, that i had created poison with a nice aftertaste. As it slowly brewed away, the tastes have mingled and combined, leaving it tasting almost like a wine. Interesting to see how it shapes up.

Back