Soda Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyanmonkey

Reaction score
Coffee Stout head disappears like soda.

Am I right in assuming this is mineral additions or could it be an infection of some sort?

It's either related to the ingredients (the grainbill), the glass itself, or the level of carbonation of the beer. If it's kegged, it could be overcarbed (or undercarbed) or dispensed through a too-short line, and if it's bottled it could be either as well.

One cause is simply the glassware. I'd do a quick salt scrub on the glass- that is, take the glass, moisten it, then sprinkle it with salt and 'scrub' with your hand well, and then simply rinse. Then pour the beer into that and check again.

Different glasses, different bottles, bottle conditioned. It was the Northern Brewer Peace Coffee 2nd Crack kit, so I wouldn't think it'd be grain bill.

It goes immediately flat, like the CO2 isn't dissolving.

If the beer has been conditioning for at least a few weeks, I still think it could be the glassware- especially if you use a dishwasher on them. Residue on glassware is the most common head killer.

Didn't use detergent, just soaked in starsan. I'm going to just go with water additions.

Different glasses, different bottles, bottle conditioned. It was the Northern Brewer Peace Coffee 2nd Crack kit, so I wouldn't think it'd be grain bill.

It goes immediately flat, like the CO2 isn't dissolving.

Does it have coffee in it? Coffee kills head retention as I understand it... I am having the same problem with an Oatmeal Stout I just started drinking & read that while researching the problem....

I think my problem was oil from too much oats in my recipe killing my head....

Beer still tastes great but it's off putting to me, so I will be revisiting the recipe...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I am a complete newbie at water chemistry, but I don't think it affects head. If it does, it certainly isn't to that extent!

Did you stray from the kit ingredients at all?

How is the coffee added? I had the same issue with a coffee stout I did and I think it was the oils contributed by the coffee beans. Next time I'll be doing the coffee a bit differently.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I am a complete newbie at water chemistry, but I don't think it affects head. If it does, it certainly isn't to that extent!

Did you stray from the kit ingredients at all?

How is the coffee added? I had the same issue with a coffee stout I did and I think it was the oils contributed by the coffee beans. Next time I'll be doing the coffee a bit differently.

It was much more likely the coffee than the water chemistry

I didn't consider the coffee.

I steeped it for 15 minutes at flameout. I didn't stray from the kit, but the oils make sense.

Back