Soapy beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledgeH

Reaction score
I am a firm believer of the long primary, but I've just had a batch that tasted soapy. Usually that off flavor is from autolysis. This was entirely my error but unfortunately, it's likely one of two mistakes I made.
The first was pitching a couple of jars of saved WY1762 (3 months old, no starter made). These were directly harvested from a previous batch that tasted great but I didn't properly wash the yeast I just harvested slurry (I thought I'd be brewing again much soon than 3 months afterward). Fermentation didn't kick off so I had to pitch a smack pack 3 days later.
The second error was leaving this stuff in primary for 83 days until bottling. Which, while excessive, I don't feel is insanely long...

I'm going to assume my error was a combination of the two. I likely pitched 2 jars of mostly dead yeast and let it hang out in my beer for 3 months. But I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

I'm not terribly worried about this occuring again. Unless I have another child come along and mess with the brew schedule.

I've made this recipe 4 times without issue, it's an extract/steeping grain OG 1.050 Belgian Pale. Temp maintained at 62 to 64 degrees for 15 days, with a jump to 70 for the remaining 68 days.

Exactly that, dead yeast taste from a breakdown of fatty acids in the yeast. Three months is a long time to re-pitch slurry from a previous batch.

83 days sounds pretty excessive to me....especially given the health of your yeast to start with.

Latest posts

Back