So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Late start last night as fermenter was grungier than expected.
Put together a "Frankenstein-ish" spiced winter ale with ingredients had left over. Thought I messed up in the mash as thermowell was off and ended up with 1/2 gallon less than I planned (still learning the new set). Tossed in some Voss Kveik, cranked the temp and let it ride. Blow-off bubbling by hour 7
OG measured at 1.125 so might turn out to be 12% if Bacchus smiles on me. Slainte!

Had a great brew day today for my oatmeal stout. Everything went flawlessly and hit my target OG on the nose.

This is the first batch for my new fermentation chamber (Danby mini fridge and Inkbird thermometer).

Excited to see how this turns out!

PXL_20210307_232234314.jpg

PXL_20210307_232243810.jpg

All the stuff I was going to do last weekend, I'm now going to do this weekend. Expected side-effects of a COVID shot never showed up. I wonder what I'll call this beer...

Potentially looking to brew this weekend: an IPA using medusa for the first time. Only issue is I still have 2 2020 beers on tap, and a sour ready to keg, so I don't need the beer lol. First world problems...

Im trying a few gallons of mead with orange peels and black tea for nutrient. Ec1118 Lavlin yeast. Maybe next week I'll get my beer kit from Brewers best to try that one.

Not quite this weekend, but starting on Monday. I'll be brewing the whole week - 6 different beers.

I'll brew a Dark Mild Ale, a malty Red Ale, a Farmhouse Ale with bergamot orange, Indian coriander and Tea, a Blueberry and Redcurrant Sour Ale, a Double Mash Belgian Dark Strong Ale with Candi SYrup D-240 and D-90, and the last one will be a Double Mash Imperial Pastry Milk Stout with Vanilla, Cinnamon and Tonka.

Not quite this weekend, but starting on Monday. I'll be brewing the whole week - 6 different beers.

I'll brew a Dark Mild Ale, a malty Red Ale, a Farmhouse Ale with bergamot orange, Indian coriander and Tea, a Blueberry and Redcurrant Sour Ale, a Double Mash Belgian Dark Strong Ale with Candi SYrup D-240 and D-90, and the last one will be a Double Mash Imperial Pastry Milk Stout with Vanilla, Cinnamon and Tonka.
Do you use electric brew system for all that? Are those gonna be 5 gallon batches? Do you find it best to do a big brew week over onesies? Thanks

Do you use electric brew system for all that? Are those gonna be 5 gallon batches? Do you find it best to do a big brew week over onesies? Thanks

I use a Grainfather Connect 240V and apart from the Imperial Stout, which will be a bigger 45 liters batch, the rest are 5 gallons* - I always try to maximise the output of my Grainfather and get around 22-24 liters final for each batch. It goes down a couple of liters for dry hopped beers, but I now rarely brew dry hopped beers.

I am not a fan of brewing " onesies " just because I prefer having different styles of beer, on hand. And when I brew, I do it in my kitchen. I mash and boil outside, but I have to go inside to chill down the wort ( I do it in real-time, as I have cold, deep well water ) and transfer to the fermenter ( I don't have an outdoor brew shed ). And the kitchen is a mess for the time I'm brewing. So I prefer brewing over a few days and then clean up everything.

But this is the way I prefer doing it - partly because I cannot do it in any other way, and also because I enjoy drinking more than one style at a time.

Already milled the grain for another batch of lager tomorrow. Latest one is ready to keg, still haven't decided if I'm going to rack directly onto that yeast cake or start a new packet. Will decide tomorrow. Tonight is for hoping my stupid knee goes back the way it's supposed to after kneeling on my mom's hardwood floor to fix her chair tonight.

Finally pitched yeast on my American Light Lager... groundwater can't chill down to lager temps, so I gotta let my ferm chamber get the rest of the way there.

So here are a few pictures of my Oktoberfest. Doing a few LODO techniques. The brew water has been treated with yeast and corn sugar and allowed to sit for a half hour.

This is a pretty big Oktoberfest, so I’m using what I call “Double BIAB” - 2 bags to divide the weight so I can extract the bags easier. I have a stainless bar across the top to clip on to.

Finally, I’m using a mash cap - floating foam pads from Lowes cut to fit to fend off mash oxidation. Make sure to sanitize well!
714340AF-8D6B-441A-85CB-6AB9E9A9D0C2.jpeg
DF8AF0C1-15B8-481A-AC0E-4D0157FD49D3.jpeg
A4C3F5DC-9AC3-40E7-B24A-0A3AA59EA9F8.jpeg

Finally pitched yeast on my American Light Lager... groundwater can't chill down to lager temps, so I gotta let my ferm chamber get the rest of the way there.
Nice!

I brewed my first lager this weekend with bohemian lager yeast 2124. Pack said to pitch at 68-72f. Made a starter the day before and pitched in the wort at 70, then cooled off slowly down to 50f.

Should I have cooled the starter?

There’s a hundred different answers on that and they all make beer.

When I do lagers, I do a big starter a couple days before, then I chill the starter to assist in decanting the starter beer.

I then put the starter in the fermentation chamber and drop the temp of the wort and starter to 48 degrees. That way you are not shocking the yeast. I pitch at 48F and let it ferment at 50F.

There’s a hundred different answers on that and they all make beer.

When I do lagers, I do a big starter a couple days before, then I chill the starter to assist in decanting the starter beer.

I then put the starter in the fermentation chamber and drop the temp of the wort and starter to 48 degrees. That way you are not shocking the yeast. I pitch at 48F and let it ferment at 50F.
Thank you so much.

Mashing right now on an Brown Ale recipe I have been tweaking and adjusting on paper for the last 8 months. It's time to just brew it and see where I am at and tweak from there (if need be). I love a good brown and ale and I am on the hunt to make a really special one. It's going to be a Oat Nut Brown Ale. Beautiful 72 degrees here on the back lanai. Wish me luck!

John

Attempted a Trappist Single on Sunday. 86% pils 8 bicuit 6 cane. 32 IBU mostly Hall Mitt with a little Willamette. When it came time to pitch, I wasn't crazy about the smell of the Ardennes I had harvested a few weeks ago so I tossed it. Pitched 34/70 instead. Trappist Single Lager? Who cares, I made beer!

Planning to brew this weekend. Ordered a saison kit from Norther Brewer last month and ended up getting two kits because the first one went MIA for a week. NB shipped a second and both showed up. Rather than brew another saison with the second kit, I ordered some extra malt and hops and a different yeast to turn it into a Belgian IPA instead. We’ll see how it turns out!

I used brown sugar for black grapes wine making. Trouble is " while trying to activates yeast its working fone like with smell getting chaged the sample used for activation that with brown sugar getting changed with volume and bubbles on its top as layers." But when adding tot he main sample its now wworking like air lock is not bubbling. I am from Surat, Gujarat, India. KIndly Help if possible

My yeast is ready today, Wednesday. I could do it now but maybe tomorrow as it wasn't in the plan for today. Now that I've retired every day is a weekend. This will be the first batch I've ever brewed while there is still beer in the keg from the last batch! I only have one keg so it has to be empty and ready. Of course I could just make it a point to empty it, into glasses of course.

Just checked the weather, rain for tomorrow so tomorrow will be brew day.

I used brown sugar for black grapes wine making. Trouble is " while trying to activates yeast its working fone like with smell getting chaged the sample used for activation that with brown sugar getting changed with volume and bubbles on its top as layers." But when adding tot he main sample its now wworking like air lock is not bubbling. I am from Surat, Gujarat, India. KIndly Help if possible
Not sure you are in the right spot for your question. From what I get it sounds like fermentation is happening, but no bubbles from the airlock. If this is correct my best guess is that there is a leak in the system somewhere and the CO2 is getting out that way. ☘

Me. I will brew the White Labs "Crazy 4 Cali" (California Common) beer from the September 2020 BYO.

However, when working on the recipe, I notice someone f*cked up the recipe. 0.6 lb Northern Brewer hops at 60 minutes! 1 lb of Northern Brewer hops at 15 minutes! 0.6 lb Northern Brewer hops at 5 minutes! No, the hop charges are incorrect. Correct are 0.6 ounces at 60 minutes, 0.1 ounces at 15 minutes and 0.6 ounces at 5 minutes.

Recipe scaled to my brewhouse/mash efficiency. Everything is ready to go.
Haha. I thought a pound of hops sounded like a lot!

Today was a pale ale, OG: 1.052, chinook, cascade and citra. Trying to get those “C” hops to pop. First time using hornindal kveik, so I’m pretty excited to see how it turns out!
7B11382F-EE90-49A1-AB55-780BE2F89108.jpeg

Wow nothing since last weekend??? Brewing up a simple IPA today finally using the Idaho 7 hops we got a couple months ago; mixing them up with some Mosaic on a solid 2-row 1.041SG base. Nothing but late additions and a huge dry hop at the end.

I brewed up a hoppy America Wheat with 2.4 oz citra at 60 and 2.0 oz cascade at FO. I'm thinking about dry hopping with either zythos or more cascade. :mug:

Probably do my NEIPA light this week, then clean everything and do a pseudo lager on the weekend. I want beer i can drink now so the PL might get subbed for a hefe

Planning to brew a NEIPA Thursday for my club's competition at the end of April. Doing a variation of a recipe I've done twice before. Added a small bittering charge at 15 minutes of the boil to help try to balance it a bit and make the dry hops a little more pronounced.

Back