So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a whim, jumped into an impromptu brew today. looked at what I had on hand and came up with the following (used a few little scraps along the way)

5.5 gallon batch OG 1.058

10.0 lbs maris otter
1.75 lbs malted red wheat
.5 lbs golden naked oats

.5 oz Columbus @ 60

1.0 oz Columbus @ 20

0.5 oz Comet @ 5

1.0 oz Idaho 7 @ at 2, 0.5 oz Citra @ 2 (leftovers), 0.5 oz Mosaic @ 2 (leftovers)

Hopstand @ 160°F for 20 min
1.5 oz Idaho 7
1.0 oz Comet
1.0 oz Cascade (Leftovers)

Pitched WY1968

Will Dryhop for 5 days
1.5 oz Idaho 7
1.5 oz Comet
1.5 oz Columbus

Great day on the deck brewing outside for the first time. Will do this a LOT more. So much nicer

Just before a bit of painting the ceiling (freak ale incident, don't ask) I emptied a gallon of apple juice in a 5L measuring cup, dissolved .5 lb brewing sugar, used a cup of that to mix 2 tsp of champagne yeast, added everything to a 5L demijohn et viola: happily bubbling away in the pantry, next to mr. JAOM :rockin:

Brewing 40L of Red Ale for Canada's 150th birthday, which I'll be celebrating at my cabin in Northern Saskatchewan. Jockey box FTW!

Brewing on the Zymatic today for the second time.
First batch, Pico Pale Ale, is in secondary today
This is a friends recipe cut in half...

Kicking up the hops today and brewing an IPA. Occurred to me that since going all grain, I've brewed a whole lot of APAs, porters, Belgiums and even a klosch, but haven't brewed my favorite style.

experimenting with 5 hops additions Magnum @ 60, then equal amounts of Centennial and Chinook at 30, 10, flame out and then dry hop - with some Cascade in the dry hop to boot.

Never drank a Dunkel Weizen. Had a request. Looked at the guidelines and couldn't find an American Dark Wheat so I tried my luck. Input will be appreciated, just be gentle.
5# Pilsen
5# White Wheat
1# Chocolate Malt
1# CaraWheat
.5# Flakes oats
.75 oz Nugget @ 60 (What I had in the freezer)
1pk US 05
Mash @ 152
Boil 90 minutes.

Every thing but the 05 in the house.

Never drank a Dunkel Weizen. Had a request. Looked at the guidelines and couldn't find an American Dark Wheat so I tried my luck. Input will be appreciated, just be gentle.
5# Pilsen
5# White Wheat
1# Chocolate Malt
1# CaraWheat
.5# Flakes oats
.75 oz Nugget @ 60 (What I had in the freezer)
1pk US 05
Mash @ 152
Boil 90 minutes.

Every thing but the 05 in the house.

It will not be a dunkelweizen with that yeast.
You NEED a german wheat beer yeast.

Best Dunkelweizen I ever made was something like 5 lb Munich, 5 lb dark wheat, 2 oz of dehusked Carafa III and 3068 yeast, fermented around 62-64. Oh, and low bittering - I think I used an ounce of Tettnanger with a AA% less than 5.

Since I've got 10 gallons sitting on tap, was considering making something that can age for a bit. I've got a sugar-carbed keg of my brown waiting to go on, so I can do something else that I can afford to let age a while. One of the employees at the LHBS I used to frequent before they closed has opened his own LHBS in Puyallup (all my WA peeps, check out Jon's Homebrew & Wine Supply!!) so I was thinking of doing my Scotch Ale again. Either that, or having another go at Yoopers Oatmeal Stout. Ah, the possibilities!!!

Well it is time for me too test un familiar waters so I am going to do a pale ale with some warrior for bittering. I will probably try a blonde with warrior also. I am thinking 35 Ibus for the pale and 15 for the blond.:mug:

Brewing an American Pale ale this weekend, using left over German Magnum hops for bittering, and then 4 ounces of Waimea split between whirlpool and dry hopping. They are the free hops AHA gave out for renewing membership.

Might brew up an IPA... but I will have to swamp cooler or ferment warmer than I like. Until I finish a corner of the new brew shed I don't have my fermentation chamber which is a commercial fridge with a bad compressor. I am going to put a portable AC unit in it that goes down to 61 degrees on its own for cooling. Vent the heat out the wall of the fridge. It looks very similar to this

Double-Door-Commercial-Refrigerator_Addt.jpg

Don't know if I'll get it brewed this weekend or not (got a *lot* of gardening to catch up on too) but I'm planning to brew a nice summery cream ale. 80% pilsner, 20% rice, Sorachi Ace hops, and German ale yeast.

It will be my first time doing a cereal mash; figured I would start with an easy one before I try it with lots of wheat for a witbier

Edit: Just poured it into the fermenter and finished about half of the cleanup. This is gonna be the lightest-colored beer I've ever made. Not sure yet what I think of the Sorachi Ace hops.

Last minute decision to brew this weekend. Mashed in a simple SMaSH a little while ago, will brew it up tomorrow.

I also decided to brew at the last minute. Made 2 gallons of Cream of Three Crops, with Cascade hops. I haven't been able to brew much lately, so was very glad to get it done

Almost posted yesterday, but I was just too into it all. I smoked yesterday AND brewed for the first time.

Unsure if there are any smokers here, but my MIL had a couple of whole tri-tip steaks preseasoned and prepackaged just needing to be grilled. Well, after my BIL didn't do it the day before, I asked her if she might like it smoked? She said cool, so I started yesterday off with a trip to Home Depot to pick up a $20 back of hickory.
Had the meat on smoke by about 9 am.

Not gonna lie, it was a lazy day. I work today, so I wasn't exactly johnny go get 'em when it came to cleaning up after my last brewing. However, sometime around 11ish, I finally got the mashtun and boil kettle reasonably cleaned in order to brew my third and last Cal common 'steam' beer.

I have ordered one all grain recipe online, and picked up another two from my LHBS.

My previous iteration on this one, I under-targetted my mash ph, somehow. I had used RODI water and accumash for it. Checking the beer today at lower than room temperature, it came in at 4.9 ph. A bit low. I am hoping that temperature was to blame for this reading. Please keep in mind, also, that this wasn't what I brewed yesterday, but a two week old batch that I transferred recently to keg.

For yesterday's brew, I did not have accumash. I had some gypsum. I didn't know the water reading for RO/DI water (if anyone could provide that, I would be very much obliged) so I followed the instructions on the gypsum bottle which was 1-2 teaspoons per 5 gallons of water, I believe. As I had 8.5 gallons of water to mash in with, I added the gypsum to this (which, I believe, was a huge mistake). I ended up coming out with a reading of near 7.9 to 8.0 on my hot liquor prior to mashing in. I will likely not have a reading of the final ph of my mash until it's finished attenuating, which, by then, will be too late.

But, on the tail of that, I have my big mouth carboy now in a conrtrolled 68 degree environment for the Wyeast 2112 California yeast to do its business. Wish me luck.

Sympathy with the gardeners, we've been trying to catch up here after a rainy spring as well. So we'll be brewing a Memorial Day CCC IPA (Centennial,Cascade, Citra) tomorrow.

Promise, the next brew will be the lawnmower lite IPA....

Boundary Bay Scotch ale clone on the boil and doing well. 1 gallon is simmering away on the induction burner to add some gravity and more maltiness as well, worked fine last time. Since I actually have a good pipeline right now will leave it at least 3 weeks before kegging or maybe bottling, I want this one to age a while. Yesterday was stinky hot here in Western Washington, today is a bit cooler so will go for a bike ride this afternoon.

1/2 bbl of my farmhouse. Just moving it to the boil kettle now. It's a really great summer beer. 6.26 abv 36 ibu's. first wort hop with crystal and finish with sterling at flameout and dry hop. Saison II @82.5.

Brewed a two hearted ale. 1/2 barrel to the keg and another 5 or so gallons to bottle. It went into the fermenter yesterday.

Wow. Don't know if they'll come through in a pic but the bubbles on my scotch ale are borderline psychedelic. Weird. All different colors.

149609217503816218205.jpg

Not this weekend but Thursday. Doing my 6g contribution to a club brew of 60+ gal of a high gravity (1.096) Scottish Ale. This beer will replace the 55g of an RIS we've been aging in a freshly dumped Jack Daniels barrel for a little over a year.

Knocked out 11g of the popular Treehouse Julius clone recipe - which may or may not actually resemble Julius.
Ironically, while the brewery is only 58 miles away I've yet to try it so I won't have a clue if it's in the same ballpark :)

Whatever. Between the FO, WP and dry hops with Conan it should make for a tasty DIPA...

Cheers!

ab_29may2017_01.jpg

Chocolate Coconut porter. In the fermentation chamber at noon today.
Thanks to all who served this great country and condolences to all of those who have lost family and friends fighting for the cause. Just know that it is recognized, remembered and not forgotten. Cheers!! and Thank You!

Brown porter fermenting with Voss Kveik(origial culture) and going to hit it with both raw and toasted coconut.

Making an imperial chocolate peanut butter pumpkin habanero saison.
Or maybe a cream ale.

Back