So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know how this one turns out. Started using Comet a few months ago ad really love what this one can do.

Since I supplied this keg for poker night I have some feedback. I put this on tap Thursday and it was gone before the end of poker night Friday (4.5 guys can drink a lot of beer) so, It was well received and I like to brag every so often (I'm a modest guy :rockin:).

The comet was excellent and I will be buying a pound of it to replace the 1/2 pound I put into this beer. Yakima Valley Hops is marketing this as "Citra's little sister" I think that's apt. The 3 oz 30 min hopstand gave me a ludicrous amount of citrus flavor that really held its own against the accidentally high abv of 8.5% (bought online and underestimated my efficiency and ended up with less water since I was adjusting things to start fermenting in kegs, side note I hit my numbers perfectly yesterday :ban:). The bitterness was also very smooth and accentuated that classic american grapefruit we've all come to love. Pretty much a solid citrus american hop.

Golden Promise was the perfect choice and by far my favorite single malt I've used. It had a lot of complexity and an excellent sweetness to it without it tasting cloying like crystal malts. All around not as bready as Vienna and sweeter than MO. Again, this is going to make it into more of my recipes.

This SMaSH was a great success.

Planning on brewing another iteration of my sour saison to pitch onto my last batches yeast cake. This is the third batch on the same cake over the past 5 years. Super solid and consistent culture. Also I have to brew a Flanders red for a second gen Roselare

Brewing my rich malty Dunkelweizen tomorrow with Spalter and Santiam hops. Looking forward to this one. I make it bock strength sometimes too and that variation also is well received. Just can't drink as many of those in one sitting.....

John

I am getting everything ready to brew a saison tomorrow. My yeast starter looks good and my fermenters are clean. Just have to organize and measure out the ingredients. Oh, and I have yet to clean my mashtun so there is that.

Just finished bottling my first partial mash hefe and getting geared up to brew my second. First one was delicious right out of the fermenter so I'm not going to change too much. Simplicity seems, after all, to be best with this style.

Me and a friend brewed Yellow Diamond Belgian Pale Ale recipe from Radical Brewing last night. Looking forward to this one plus it's a competition beer for our company homebrew comp!

Got started about 7:30 this am but had to do a lot of little stuff I didn't get to yesterday. Weighing ingredients and collecting/heating water and some last minute cleaning.

Anyway, we are brewing! Oh, and it's a saison...

Brewing the House IPA on the new brew stand that came home yesterday. Burners need tweaking but overall I'm happy.

1493573054007-939912430.jpg

Since I supplied this keg for poker night I have some feedback. I put this on tap Thursday and it was gone before the end of poker night Friday (4.5 guys can drink a lot of beer) so, It was well received and I like to brag every so often (I'm a modest guy :rockin:).

The comet was excellent and I will be buying a pound of it to replace the 1/2 pound I put into this beer. Yakima Valley Hops is marketing this as "Citra's little sister" I think that's apt. The 3 oz 30 min hopstand gave me a ludicrous amount of citrus flavor that really held its own against the accidentally high abv of 8.5% (bought online and underestimated my efficiency and ended up with less water since I was adjusting things to start fermenting in kegs, side note I hit my numbers perfectly yesterday :ban:). The bitterness was also very smooth and accentuated that classic american grapefruit we've all come to love. Pretty much a solid citrus american hop.

Golden Promise was the perfect choice and by far my favorite single malt I've used. It had a lot of complexity and an excellent sweetness to it without it tasting cloying like crystal malts. All around not as bready as Vienna and sweeter than MO. Again, this is going to make it into more of my recipes.

This SMaSH was a great success.

Always looking for new ways to make my house IPA. I love Mosaic but Comet sounds like more of what I'm looking for. Doing my House today with a mix of Simcoe and Mosaic (because that's what I have in stock).

Got Cream of Three Crops in the fermenter and thought "I could put everything away, or I could leave it in the garage and just brew next weekend too. So I'm doing that. Nugget/Centennial IPA.

Got started about 7:30 this am but had to do a lot of little stuff I didn't get to yesterday. Weighing ingredients and collecting/heating water and some last minute cleaning.

Anyway, we are brewing! Oh, and it's a saison...

Getting a late start was the ONLY hiccup in a (damn near) perfect brew day! Hit all my numbers for temps, times, gravities and anything else today. Poured the cooled wort into the fermenter and didn't spill a single drop. That's a first lol

Collected exactly 5 gal and will pitch in the am before work.

After a lovely day in the 80s yesterday I woke up to 50s and drizzle. BREW DAY!
Totally unplanned, decided on a Galaxy APA.
Whipped up a BS2 recipe and a Bru'n Water RO package and got to work.
Et voila! Another 10+ gallons for the pipeline...

ab_30apr2017_01.jpg

Cheers!

Woke up to no power, and 38 degrees. Spent the day babysitting the pellet stove turning it on and off to keep the house semi warm. I swear I have a third world electrical system out here in the boonies of MN! Above 32 degrees I cannot run the pellet stove full time, I have to cycle it.

This weekend I have a NE session pale on deck, based on a previous recipe I have done that was incredible (you would never have guessed it was only 4.2% - Crazy aroma/flavor and body as well)… However, changing the hops a bit to some varieties I have not used or have little experience with… Azacca, Belma and Mandaria. This will be a great compliment to the 6.8% NE IPA I will be tapping this weekend which is all Columbus/Galaxy based on Trillium’s DDH Congress Street (my favorite IPA of all time!).

Going to a tasting at my lhbs Saturday and get what I need to brew later that day (national homebrew day!)... I have to get my starter going tonight though.

I will ponder the proper recipe tonight also.

4:45 this morning started heating my "sanitizing" water... boiling water circulated through all piping and CF chiller. Strike water heated and doughed in by 5:45. 90 minute mash @ 154* Boil underway right now on an Orange APA - Zest of to Tangelos @ 10min; 1oz respectively, Citra/Simcoe/Mosaic @ 5min; 2oz/1.5oz respectively Citra/Simcoe/Mosaic @ 1min. Will dry hop with 4.5 oz of same hops-heavy on the citra.

Cheers!

4:45 this morning started heating my "sanitizing" water... boiling water circulated through all piping and CF chiller. Strike water heated and doughed in by 5:45. 90 minute mash @ 154* Boil underway right now on an Orange APA - Zest of to Tangelos @ 10min; 1oz respectively, Citra/Simcoe/Mosaic @ 5min; 2oz/1.5oz respectively Citra/Simcoe/Mosaic @ 1min. Will dry hop with 4.5 oz of same hops-heavy on the citra.

Cheers!

Man that sounds good. On the fence to buy a chest freezer that can hold 10 kegs, your recipe is on the list!

No brewing for us this weekend...have 17 gallons in fermenters, 12 of which get packaged tomorrow. Then have to make a trip to the hardware store to buy new fittings for the brewstand, and figure out why the gas isn't flowing right. Going to be a smelly day in my garage tomorrow.

PianoMan - I'm hoping it is good! I do this same APA without the zest and it's really nice. Hopefully the tangelo zest adds just a touch of true citrus. The wort was delicious with the tangelo just barely in the background. 3-4 weeks and I'll know!

Cheers!

PianoMan - I'm hoping it is good! I do this same APA without the zest and it's really nice. Hopefully the tangelo zest adds just a touch of true citrus. The wort was delicious with the tangelo just barely in the background. 3-4 weeks and I'll know!

Cheers!

I make something similar, but about 1/2 the hops. Could totally see the zest adding to it. Think I'm struggling with oxygenation of my IPAs so once that's resolved, you'll see it posted here.

My weekend is slightly different then others, but a basic English stout planned.

Centennial/Nugget IPA is in the fermenter. Mash pH was a little jacked - 5.15 at room temp - but I'm not going to sweat it.

Brewed up a batch of a mock pilsner using pilsner malt and Tettanang and Saaz hops, with WLP 060 ale yeast. Everything went great, even went over my estimated OG by a few points so was def a good brew day for National Homebrew Day.

I brewed a pale ale today that I thought I was gonna brew almost a month ago. Belgian pilsner malt, munich, and Mt Hood hops. Haven't pitched it yet, but going to use K-97 and ferment in a bucket this time instead of a carboy.

I got to try out my new Hot Rod heat stick, with a 1650W heating element. It made all the difference in the world, boiling the wort on a kitchen stove. And in the summer when I'm boiling outside, it should cut way down on the amount of propane I use.

Making a 9.5G batch of a low oxygen Maris Otter and Willamette lager. Also throwing in an oz of Cluster I've had since 2015 to get a few more IBUs.

I don 't expect the beer to be great due to the simplistic grain bill, but for years and years i've wanted to make an all MO beer, and this will be it.

Latest posts

Back