So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing the American Wheat again this weekend. I think I may use an ounce of knockout hops and possibly dry hop a bit.

Then depending on how bored I am since my boat is in the shop; I may head to the LHBS and brew some more. Decisions, decisions, decisions :mug:

SMaSH on Saturday to avoid a trip to the brew shop. 10# MO mashed at 152, 1 oz Cascade each at FWH, 20, 5, and dry hop. I'll let US-05 do the dirty work.

Brewing 12-14g of a straight up pale on Saturday, 14lbs of 2-row, ~8lbs Marris to keep it interesting, 3oz ea of Cascade and Citra. S-05.
I plan to drink heavily and blow stuff up also. My beers aren't named, just numbered - but I asked someone what I should call it since it's the 4th. Something super American, over the top. With a crazed look in their eyes, they said "EagleFire" which I freaking love. So, EagleFire IV pale it is.

Monster Imperial Stout sparging right now. 11 gallon batch - 38 lbs of grain. Should OG at 1.1 or so.

It's been a brute of a brewday. Got started late due to being at a friend's birthday party last night and not really snapping outta bed all bright-eyed at 5am :cross: Then screwed a couple of things up which took some time. Didn't hit my pH's for reasons that completely baffle me. Same as last brew session, which is very unusual. I think my pH meter needs a new probe.

Feeling good about getting this stout brewed in time to put it up for four to six months for aging. I'll keg half and bottle half of it for longer term aging.

Finished at 1:30 this afternoon. My immersion chiller sprang a leak, and I clogged two Pur filters, but everything else went according to plan.

Right now, brewing the beer I was supposed to brew last weekend. For 4 gallons:
  • 7 lb pale ale malt
  • 4 oz Special B
  • 1 oz Bramling Cross @60 minutes
  • 1 oz Bramling Cross @2 minutes
  • S-04 yeast.

Just pitched the yeast on my first batch in about a year and a half (last year was spent working on my house).

Belgian Specialty Ale
7.5 lbs. Belgian Pils
1 lb. Wyermann Abbey Malt
.25 lb. Light Crystal

1 lb. local honey (Forgot to put my honey in at flameout so I pitched it in when I racked the beer to the fermenter...gotta live a little dangerously)

Hops:
1 oz. Fr. Streisselspalt - 60 min
1 oz. UK Kent Goldings - 15 min
.25 oz. El Dorado (15 min)

Using the Wyeast PC Leuven 3538 strain.

Going for something a bit like a Saison but with a different hop profile.... should be in the neighborhood of 30 IBUs.

Of COURSE impending disaster would strike.. my brand new stainless steel wort chiller sprayed cold hose water into the cooling wort.. so I ended up boiling it again for 5 minutes once I tightened the d*mned hose fittings on the chiller.

OG came out a little lighter than I thought it would be.. 1.052 vs. 1.056 but I'm sure it will still be BEER when it's done.

Tasted the wort... nothing off or funky... so we'll see what the yeast does with it.

Glad to be back in the game! I really missed this hobby. :)

I was thinking about brewing 8 gallons of an Orval clone this weekend. But when I got up this morning there was an ambulance in front of my neighbor's house.

I don't want to be an insensitive prick, brewing in our shared driveway if one of the older sisters passed away last night.

I was thinking about brewing 8 gallons of an Orval clone this weekend. But when I got up this morning there was an ambulance in front of my neighbor's house.

I don't want to be an insensitive prick, brewing in our shared driveway if one of the older sisters passed away last night.

It could be a brew made in memorium...

I need to brew something! It's been a month since my last session.

Brewed a Kölsch up today. Overshot my volume by .5 gal using a new BK and burner but only lost a few points. Was looking for 1.056 and came in @ 1.052

It could be a brew made in memorium...

I need to brew something! It's been a month since my last session.

It's been about half a year for me since my last brewday.

Saw my neighbor tonight. The elder sister fell and broke her hip, again. She just got out of surgery.

Brewing is still probably off for the weekend. It's too late to pick up ingredients today. But next Saturday is looking pretty good. Maybe I can think of something I'll be more exited to brew than a bunch of Orval.

Decided to brew a Munich Helles at the last minute, more or less. Couldn't really justify 4 movies again like yesterday. Gotta be active at least one day of the 3-day weekend.

I put the ESB into the fermentation chamber last night. This morning it was at the proper temperature and bubbling away quietly. Now I'm getting away with my wonderful wife (who fully supports my hobby) to the city for a few nights away together.

So far a good weekend.

Brewed up a Kolsch this weekend, right now it's sitting in my new fermenter (wine fridge, nothing fancy) at a solid 60 degrees.

20150704_144241.jpg

Have a batch of Flanders red boiling now. It will be tacked onto a roeselare cake that my previous batch has been sitting on for the last six weeks.

Wha?! That sounds awesome. Try a bunch of Duvel instead.

I'm doing a black wheat beer now. Not a Hefe, more of a Wit without the tart, orange, or coriander. Or maybe it's better described as a wheat porter/stout with subdued roasty character.

I'm splitting the 8 gallons with my ... My wife's second cousin's husband. I guess that's a second cousin-in-law? Puerto Rican families...

But, I finally have a brew buddy.

Orange American Wheat put down tonight. Used Liberty instead of Hallertauer, forgot the 30 minute hops so they went in at 10.

I really need to start drinking while brewing so I have an excuse for screwups. :drunk:

Orange American Wheat put down tonight. Used Liberty instead of Hallertauer, forgot the 30 minute hops so they went in at 10.

I really need to start drinking while brewing so I have an excuse for screwups. :drunk:

Seems very similar to what I am doing next week. I am using tettnang and Liberty, and a blood orange syrup that morebeer has.

After tentative brewing plans have fallen through over six of the last eight weeks, I'm going to brew this weekend (or someone's going to get hurt!) With luck I'm going to get in three batches - a saison, a lambic style and then a barleywine or IPA. Hopefully I survive all that in the 90 degree weather.

Going to try to sneak in a batch this weekend and doing a Cream ale tonight.

@Qhrumphf 's mild is up next.

Will be brewing my annual imperial stout on my sons birthday, tomorrow. Going to hope for a partigyle brown ale as well.

Cream of three crops today hopefully, that'll give me two fermenting at once and hopefully they'll last won't be able to brew for a couple weeks

This guy is finally brewing again. I checked my log and it's been nearly a year.

But in that time I haven't been sitting idle. I have a cooler for sparge water now. I installed a valve and thermometer in my keggle. I got my grain mill set up yesterday. I also built a recirculation system for my IC.

It's almost like losing my virginity again.

Today I'm drinking beer, clearing the brew area (garage), testing **** out, and verifying system loss assumptions.

And it looks like I'm right on 75 minutes for boiling 10 gallons of water.

Brewing a helles with Mandarina hops tomorrow.

Other brewing related items:
- Bottling a normal helles from the keg
- Kegging an export I brewed with Azacca hops
- Moving a saison made with 3724 to the garage so it'll warm up and finish fermenting

I also have the labels "designed" for 6 batches I have ready (the labels will be mainly to identify them in my bottle collection). Just need to get the ink tomorrow. Dreading labeling 145 bottles.

Brewed a pale ale with all vienna malt and hopped with 40 IBU of columbus (60 min & 10 min) and el dorado (5 min) and a 25 minute 170F hopstand using 2 oz of hops (1:1 columbus:el dorado). This is the first time I've brewed a base malt only beer, the first time using wyeast 1332 (pacific nw ale), AND the first time using my chest freezer / STC-1000 fermentation chamber. :)

Brewed 8.5 gallons of oatmeal stout last night, and pitched the yeast this morning (couldn't chill it below 80 degrees with the warmer groundwater). Will keg 5 gallons and put the other 3 in secondary on top of raspberries, cocoa nibs, and vanilla bean (chocolate decadence inspiration) and bottle after secondary. While my 32 IBU is within style for oatmeal stout, it might be too bitter for the chocolate/raspberry version, so I anticipate I'll have to age it for a while for the bitterness to fade.

B rewed a blonde and did my first attempt at FWH I probably came in low if you can believe brewers friend software. I just don't see how you can only get 70% of the bitterness from the extra time.:confused:

Just doughed in 5 gallon batch of co3c. Hopefully this time I don't brew carbonated water

Back