So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fell asleep after work but gaining ground now, currently 5 minutes into mash with sparge water heating on stovetop

Just got some experimental grapefruit hops from my LHBS. Doing a pale ale using them exclusively for FWH, post-boil steep and dry hopping. Interested to see if they live up to their name. Grist made up of 87.5% domestic 2 row, 8.3% Munich 10L and 3.7% white wheat. 1.053 OG, 38 IBUs and using WLP060 American Ale Blend. Will mash at 152, ferment at 67 and dry hop for 3 days.

Dunkleweizen brewing right now. God I love the smell in my house right now. Just threw Perle in as the bittering hop, I'm in heaven.

Rebrewing my West Coast imperial Red. Dialing down the ibu's a little..too harsh last time. But huge hop burst centennial, cascade, simcoe

My first 3.5 gallon batch tonight after close to 150 1-gallon batches. Shiny new keg waiting to get filled with a super hoppy pale ale. Wish me luck!

Found blood oranges at store, been waiting a year for them to come back around. Two extract recipes to work out the ideas, a saison and a strong. The strong is going to be American hopped, so we will see.

With a baby due literally any day, As soon as i found out that day wasn't going to be saturday I started heating strike water. Didn't have a brewday planned so just brewed what i could throw together

6gal IPA 2/ Warrior & Summit, going to dry hop it with either Simcoe or EXP6300

6gal English Amber

Put a Rye-IPA in secondary w/ 2 oz of Amarillo, and kegged a Porter that i brewed 2 weeks ago. Used the yeast cakes for these 2 beers for the IPA and Amber.

TWO BEERS LAST NIGHT!!! LOL. For these test recipes I went back to all extract for first time in about two/three years. (Well the belgian strong inspired one got some steeping of Special B and Crystal 60) WAY WAY less stress than if I attempted two BIAB in one night.

20150119_094824-picsay.jpg

Brewed a batch of Beavr Nutz on Saturday, when it was 45 degrees here. I live across the street from a Mormon church; always seems a bit wrong to be brewing in view of that place. ;)

First time brewing in nearly two years.

10 gal of a Citra Pale Ale. Easiest Brewday I can remember in +50 batches.

Won't let my equipment sit that long again.

Pitched two different yeasts in 5 gal ferms and they are bubbling away!

Day late, but not a dollar short! Actually, 10.5 gallons richer! Haha.

Made an Oatmeal Porter yesterday. Pitched at 65 with a Irish Ale/Belgian Ale yeast blend from Omega Yeast Labs. Interested to see what the yeast does to this.

My LHBS has a 12 days of Christmas promotion. From the 12th to the 24th of December they have a daily special that heavily discounts certain items. This year one of the days they had half off if you bought a canned kit, a Munton's beer kit enhancer and a package of Munton's Kreamyx beer primer. I chose the Cooper's English Bitter and was out the door for less than $20. These three items on their own will make 23 litres of pretty decent beer at about 31 cents a bottle at the sale price. But...

I like Hobgoblin, a lot. Coopers has a recipe on their site called Hop Gobbler:

•1.7kg English Bitter
•1.5kg Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
•500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
•100g Chocolate Malt grain
•100g Crystal Malt grain
•25g Fuggles Hop pellets
•25g East Kent Goldings (EKG) Hop pellets
•Coopers commercial ale yeast , English Ale yeast or yeast with the kit
•Coopers Carbonation Drops

You steep the grains and dry hop with the Fuggles and EKG. This is meant to be 25 litre batch.

I'm going to make a slightly modified version this coming weekend. Instead of the LME and DME I will use 2 Munton's Beer kit enhancers (I already had one I bought on sale previously). I bought an ounce each of Fuggles and Styrian Golding hops (couldn't get EKG), a quarter pound each of Crystal 40 and Chocolate malt and a package of Danstar Windsor yeast to use instead of the Cooper's yeast. These extra ingredients cost another 12 or 13 dollars.

My plan is to steep the Crystal and Chocolate malt for a half hour and then add both Munton beer kit enhancer's and bring that to a boil. Once the boil is going I will add 10 grams each of the Fuggles and Styrian hops and boil for 10 minutes. Then I'll combine that wort in the fermenter with the English bitter kit and top off to only 23 litres and pitch the rehydrated Windsor. Once the krausen has fallen I will dry hop with the remaining hops. After a week or so of dry hopping I will bulk prime with some (or all?) of the Kreamyx primer instead of using carbonation drops in the bottle.

Small (no?) chance this will come out tasting exactly like Hobgoblin but if it's anywhere close I'll be happy. With the deal I got over Christmas this batch will be slightly cheaper than a same sized all grain batch would be (for me) and way, way cheaper than buying Hobgoblin at the liquor store (~$0.55/340ml vs $3.99/500ml)

Here's hoping it turns out all right.

Planning on doing the ESB common from the recipe selection, but am still unsure, I know I want to brew but can't decide what to brew....

What a problem to have eh?

Not sure what I'm doing yet. Maybe I'll give the Orange Kolsch another go, since I screwed up the first batch.

Did two AG batches back to back on Sunday. A Wee Heavy and a Smoked Porter. Long day....lets just say the Porter will be called the 13th Hour

My first brew of the new year (after being sick since New Year's Eve) will be this Saturday, and I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of Northern Brewer's Sinistral Warrior IPA, and then in two weeks I'll brew another 5 gallon batch of Dry Irish Stout for St. Patrick's Day and a 4 gallon batch of Chocolate Milk Stout because my last batch was so good and gone so fast...

Been planning the 1914 Courage Imperial for a little while now. I need something that I can justify bulk aging, and it sounds badass. Probably make it a long day and partigyle a mild out of it.

Edit: scrap that. Make that a plan for a little while down the road. Fermentation room is currently at "last couple points in a belgian" mode. Meaning pitching a massive starter into a 1.09X imperial at that temperature will likely end poorly. Maybe whip up a Centennial Blonde and stick it into somewhere not heated quite as much.

Gonna brew a 5.5 gal batch of Rye Pale Ale. Not my usual thing but I felt like doing something different. And then going to brew 10 gallons of Scottish 60/-. Much more my thing. Going to split boil it, with the first runnings getting boiled down long and hard to get some strong Maillard/caramelization/whatever you want to call it chemically.

Was going to brew a Slightly modified version of NB's Kiwi IPA, and another Kit that I have last weekend...

BUUUUT..... Saturday went out and bought a new 12 Gallon Aluminum Pot to replace my 7 Gal one that always boiled over... so I decide to do a Test Boil and condition my new pot.... Well it was about 4 C here in Calgary, and my poor little turkey fryer burned for almost 2 hours and only got to about 90C (then I ran out of propane)

Sooo brewing is on hold till its warmer or I clear up the Credit Card enough for a new burner!

brewing a Mosaic/Amarillo IPA on Saturday. Going to try the Omega 052 yeast and see how she does.

If my thermometer comes in via post this weekend is gonna be a double brew kinda weekend. Haven't been able to do any since my last once busted and I got fed up with crap breaking and ordered a CDN from Amazon. Though even if it comes in I still need to get into my damn mailbox, some idiot(likely a former tenant) keeps trying to bust into it and just winds up breaking the lock instead (least if he got in I could get MY mail).

Gonna make my first saison this weekend! Gotta get drinking so I can bottle my blonde ale either this or next weekend.

I need a lot more bottles! Lol

Back