So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About to start 5 gal of a peanut butter milk stout and whatever my buddy brings to brew!!

brewing a robust porter for our homebrew fixed recipe competition in february!

as an added bonus, the yeast cake we get from it will be used for a majority ale we are brewing up for our recently born son!

Went to the brew store yesterday with my wife. Got stuff to brew and told her I was going to brew in a few weeks, because I have a lot of beer sitting in bottles. She said I should brew today, so guess I'm brewing! Going to be a Best Bitter with London Ale yeast :rockin:

Just about to mash in on my basic American Wheat.. gonna be a late night.

I brewed my dry stout yesterday. This morning, 15 he's after pitching yeast, I already had fermentation activity. I brewed a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy fitted with a blowoff tube leading to a bucket of starsan solution. This is my ffirst time using a blowoff tube... I assume that it is OK for the krausen to spill out iinto the overflow bucket without continually needing to clean and re-sanitize everything, right? I'll just pull the tube, clean and sanitize everything, and add an airlock once the krausen falls, right? This is aalso my firat brew fermenting in a carboy so I can't wait to watch the process...

I brewed my dry stout yesterday. This morning, 15 he's after pitching yeast, I already had fermentation activity. I brewed a 5 gallon batch in a 5 gallon carboy fitted with a blowoff tube leading to a bucket of starsan solution. This is my ffirst time using a blowoff tube... I assume that it is OK for the krausen to spill out iinto the overflow bucket without continually needing to clean and re-sanitize everything, right? I'll just pull the tube, clean and sanitize everything, and add an airlock once the krausen falls, right? This is aalso my firat brew fermenting in a carboy so I can't wait to watch the process...

If I get blowoff into the bucket I typically will dump the bucket and refill with sanitizer and water, yes once the high krausen subsides you should be fine to go to airlock...I generally wait 48 hours just to be safe

P.s. nice to see I'm not the only one that sets them in the bathtub for the vigorous part of fermentation

If I get blowoff into the bucket I typically will dump the bucket and refill with sanitizer and water, yes once the high krausen subsides you should be fine to go to airlock...I generally wait 48 hours just to be safe

P.s. nice to see I'm not the only one that sets them in the bathtub for the vigorous part of fermentation

I ferment in my bedroom closet in the wintertime and certainly didn't want to risk an overflow in there. I even cleared it with the wife before i put the carboy in the tub and she thought it was a good idea too! Me thinks I have a keeper!

Heating sparge water while some grains finish steeping for an ESB atm. It's gonna be colder than a well digger's bumm for a few more days. So much the better for the yeastie's.

I was somewhat amazed to see that in 8 hours I gained about a litre (a dash more than a quart) into my blow-off basin. Then started to panic as the blowoff tubes are going into a 2L vessel. Changed it out right before bed, changed it out right before going to work, then work. Came home and only gained about half a pint so I think I'm out of the danger zone for now. Actually, I might have a use for those old brew pots after all...

As far as brewing goes I'm out this weekend. Though fermenters are available I seem to be running out of places to put beer. Don't you hate it when that happens?

I feel your pain. I had 4 batches worth under my bottling table & in front of the wire shelf. That's about all I have room for. Even using ice packs to chill the hot wort & cold spring water in the fridge, I got the wort down to 66.2F (19C). Even had enough left of the 6th gallon to rehydrate the S-04 yeast in the last 300mL's worth. Not bad. Then, by pitch time, the wort was down to 18C, or 64.4F. Cool! :ban::rockin::tank: Saved my last home brew to celebrate. Sons got me some Southern Tier 2XIPA & a 5th of vodka for my back & hips. Sweet pain, you're gonna drive me insane!

My ESB started bubbling slowly when I got up. Was 66.2F when I topped it off, by the time I pitched the rehydrated yeast, it was 64.4F. By this morning, it was down to 60.2F. Had to cover it to try & keep some warmth in there.

Brewed a Ginger Beer last Saturday that's now happily bubbling away:
6 lbs Malted Wheat
3 lbs Pilsner 2 row
1 oz hallertau
.5 oz citra
2.25 lbs fresh ginger in 3 boil additions
2 cups lemon juice
2 oz fresh lemon zest
1 g black pepper corns
1 g cloveS
WLP565 Saison yeast

Kegged a Funktown Pale Ale and an Oak Smoked Wheat Ale. Tapped a Flanders Red. Brewing an Oatmeal Stout now and doing a Golden Promise Centennial SMaSH to go on the Funktown cake.

New run of my pale based on the Zombie Dust Clone. Adding in O2, faster chilling with my new counterflow chiller, and hopefully some better fermentation temp control.

Brewed an amber this past weekend. After a tough mental fight between cream ale and saison I ended up with amber. . .don't ask how. I am hoping it will be a lovely brew concocted of Pale ale malt, 80L, 120L and Victory. Should be finished up by now.

Hoping to get the spring water to first make a starter with the half-frozen yeast shipment for the kottbusser this weekend. Dang, it's colder than a well-digger's bumm around here lately!

Doing a 10gal batch of pale ale tonight that is going to get split into two 5gal batches of ESB and an American pale.

Will be brewing an IPA on Sunday, the warmer of the 2 weekend days up here. My first brew using my new false bottom, new aeration stone, and new fermentation chamber. It was a really good beer last time I made it, curious how it may differ with my new toys.

Doing 5.5 gal AG clone of GFH 60 tonight and a 5.5 gal AG clone of Blue Moon on Sunday. Its my clone weekend.
Helping my Broother-in-law do his first AG tonight as well. We are doing a "WebBrew" video chat seeing as I can't get to his house tonight

Our local club is having a group brew tomorrow. I will be brewing Speckled Mudcat Cream Ale... and grilling burgers. Need every flame I can get... pretty chilly in Alabama

House closing got bumped for 2 weeks. So, I have time to get a batch in. Gonna brew a simcoe smash and an is rush red tomorrow!!!!!

Got all my new year's upgrades setup. Mashing for a 12 gallon batch and brewing up two 6 gallon batches of IPA with completely different hop bills and yeasts. One all Azacca, another with Nelson Sauvin & Experimental Pinefruit.

My weekend started today :ban:

Started up a ~60 point 'Murrican Wheat finished with Mosaic and a 110 point chocolate stout.

Keeping the pipeline full...

Cheers!

ab_jan_09_2015_13.jpg

Back