So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to brew my 5% American Wheat today. A few days ago I picked up my 12 lbs or so of grains and, at the time, thought the bag felt heavy. I ran them through my mill this morning and when I looked into the bucket there appeared to be way more than what 12 lbs should look like. Just weighed them. 20 lbs!!! LHBS is 30 miles away so I'm not going back just going forward. Is Imperial Wheat beer a thing? I'm guess I'm going to find out.View attachment 775695
There's only 3 grains in this recipe - white wheat, 2-row, and carapils. Not sure which grain(s) are off. I think what I'll do is to just add 2 or 3 more gallons of water and make a larger batch. I don't know what else to do.

Getting ready to brew my 5% American Wheat today. A few days ago I picked up my 12 lbs or so of grains and, at the time, thought the bag felt heavy. I ran them through my mill this morning and when I looked into the bucket there appeared to be way more than what 12 lbs should look like. Just weighed them. 20 lbs!!! LHBS is 30 miles away so I'm not going back just going forward. Is Imperial Wheat beer a thing? I'm guess I'm going to find out.View attachment 775695
Decided to bag it after all. Going to drive up for replacement grains, hopefully they'll make it right.

Right OK so you got 66% more. I'll tell you what. Send me that excess and I'll tell you if Imperial wheat beer is a thing or not.

There's only 3 grains in this recipe - white wheat, 2-row, and carapils. Not sure which grain(s) are off. I think what I'll do is to just add 2 or 3 more gallons of water and make a larger batch. I don't know what else to do.
Wheat wine is a thing!

Decided to bag it after all. Going to drive up for replacement grains, hopefully they'll make it right.
Rather than return to your LHBS, embrace the fact that you got a lot more than you paid for. Simply use the weight of grist necessary for your recipe, then use the remainder the following day or following weekend for a second batch.

A fella can have all kinds of fun with eight pounds of free grain! I would use that extra eight pounds to do something daring. Have you ever brewed with Hibiscus? It adds a wonderful tart, fruity note and makes the beer pink. It makes a fun thirst-quenching beer for the summer. Have you played with ginger and lemon grass in a wheat beer? Do you like Dry Irish Stouts? I've taken to using wheat in the place of flaked barley, just add black patent and you're off to the races.

You have endless opportunities for fun! Take the opportunity to do something stupid!

Last edited:
Getting ready to grind tomorrow's grist.

I'm doing the Panther Piss Ultra Dry again. It's been a fantastic July beer, it should be an equally good August beer. It'll be a long day because of the 3hr mash, but totally worth it.

I'm between two beers this weekend, can't decide which to brew.

Either:

~9% Belgian Tripel hopped with Mandarina Bavaria

Or:

~8.5% hazy DIPA with Amarillo, Simcoe and Sabro

Currently leaning towards the Tripel as I've already got one IPA on tap but this pile is definitely singing to me:

PXL-20220723-101847195-PORTRAIT.jpg

Getting ready to stir up a Genesee Cream clone because WHERE IN THE HELL IS ALL THE CREAM ALE????
Seriously, tho. I only found 1 Vanilla Cream in a huge store. (This is what I will be drinking today, ftr).
Genesee, get ye to Atlanta!

Getting ready to stir up a Genesee Cream clone because WHERE IN THE HELL IS ALL THE CREAM ALE????
Seriously, tho. I only found 1 Vanilla Cream in a huge store. (This is what I will be drinking today, ftr).
Genesee, get ye to Atlanta!
I'd love to brew a decent Genny Cream clone. If you come close please report back.

I have one stainless fermenter and several clear PET fermenters. I like how easy it is to clean the stainless one, but I do miss out on the information that you get from being able to see the state of fermentation. Plus, it just looks cool!!
I have the same one Stainless and several clear plastics. Easy to clean the stainless, but i miss seeing the fermentation.

It's bad when you can't even get bottled water. I brewed a Blond Ale today full grain with the grandfather. Boring beer to make and not much on flavor, but I'm brewing for the neighborhood party coming up in early October and a lot of oldies that don't like real homebrew, so I 'll just put it in the keg in a couple weeks and into the cooler. By then hopefully it will get some flavor going.

It's bad when you can't even get bottled water. I brewed a Blond Ale today full grain with the grandfather. Boring beer to make and not much on flavor, but I'm brewing for the neighborhood party coming up in early October and a lot of oldies that don't like real homebrew, so I 'll just put it in the keg in a couple weeks and into the cooler. By then hopefully it will get some flavor going.

Well what can I say, it was $2.25 for 2.5 gal last time I bought it. Gal jugs are now 1.08. However Harris teeter and publix were both over $3 for the 2.5 gal. Sadly, I'm going to have to buy that, or try aldi.

American Wheat ale in the fermenter and bubbling through the blow-off in less than 4 hours. We have company coming to visit in 3 weeks so I want to turn this one around fairly quickly. Went with Voss Kveik yeast, and since it can give some orange flavors I added some Valencia orange zest at flame out.

IMG-1851.jpg

American Wheat ale in the fermenter and bubbling through the blow-off in less than 4 hours. We have company coming to visit in 3 weeks so I want to turn this one around fairly quickly. Went with Voss Kveik yeast, and since it can give some orange flavors I added some Valencia orange zest at flame out.

View attachment 775865

Nice speakers. Paradigm ? Focal ?

Yesterday I brewed up a Mosaic Pale; and this is the very first time I'm really going LODO on a beer. It's in my fermonster with a pressure transfer lid on it, and my spunding valve for allowing the co2 out; dry hops are already in there, held up with magnets so I can drop them without opening the lid. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

LOL the other one I've never owned. But I'm a vintage guy myself, though I've had my share of 80's and 90's poly cone speakers I knew it wasn't one I have ever had. This one is newer - early-mid 00's ?
Yep, somewhere around 2005. I also have the PSB center and rear speakers, and a HSU sub (that I just received a new amp for yesterday). I had a nice surround setup for music listening when I had a dedicated music room back in NY. Now, due to lack of space in this house I only have the mains and a sub connected.

*Sorry for the interruption.

With my keg of Panther Piss Ultra rice lager's floating dip tube starting to suck up stuff from the bottom, it was time to brew another batch to get me through to cooler weather. Can you call a beer that requires a three hour mash and a further 1hr runoff a LODO beer? I'm sure the LODO boys would recoil in horror, but this recipe gets the full LODO treatment anyway.

I never stop being amused by the fact that the absolute worst beer that I make is also the most technically challenging. Making terrible beer is a real challenge, but brewing it at 1.050 and 47 IBU makes it enjoyable.

Should dip under the 100° mark in the North Texas area next weekend so going to try and brew next weekend. May try and pull off back to back brews Saturday and Sunday. Blue Moon-ish Type beer that my wife and friends enjoy, along with a Lemon Drop Saison fingers crossed on the weather. May also try and make it to the new Homebrew store that opens in Dallas next weekend.

Brewed up a Caribou Slobber from northern. Really don't like how their directions are worded as I might have screwed it up . So used to having a brew schedule to follow not just a gaggle of words. So I know I might have messed up this batch but hay in their defense it was 105 out and I was by the burner lol. So instead of 60 45 15 hops went in at the start of boil 45 into the boil and flame out for 15 min. if anything I think it might just give me an interesting beer non less. Sadly i cannot seem to calibrate my refractometer so i am unsure of the og of this batch. this weekend when I transfer to the secondary I'll be starting a honey nut brown for kegging. though might swap and bottle age that and keg age the other.

Back