So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you share the recipe?
Certainly! The ratio is the same for whatever size batch you want to make; I usually do 5 gallons. I use 4 gallons apple juice (not cider, any cheap 100% juice will do) and 1 gallon cherry juice from Trader Joe's. Dump in a sanitized fermenter, and use the yeast of your choice. Safale US-05 does well, as does Lallemand Nottingham. I would not recommend champagne yeast unless you want to use at least 2 packets of it, and it will wind up pretty sweet. I tried using kveik yeast once and it was a massive failure. Ale yeasts will make it dryer; you can always backsweeten it later. Nice thing about fermenting cider, you don't have to worry too much about headspace in the fermenter; you probably won't see anything even closely resembling krausen. Also it can ferment just fine at room temperature in the house as long as it isn't getting over 80°. Tastes great either carbonated or still.

PXL_20210802_171320826.jpg

Brewed a Porter over the weekend. No sparge, because eff it.

Tried kveik for the first time today. Lallemand Voss dry yeast.

Brew before this was the Verdant IPA from David Heath's YT channel which I'm drinking right now (turned out pretty good despite some brew day issues), so I modified that recipe based on what I had in stock. For a 19L batch:

RO water base, 84ca | 15mg | 83 cl | 153 so4

2,71 kg 2-row Pale ale
780 g Vienna
690 g Flaked wheat
230 g Carahell
140 g Carapils

60 min mash at 65c, was supposed to do a mash out but forgot.

25g Citra @10 min boil
25g Simcoe @10 min boil
25g Citra @ 90c hopstand 20 min
25g Simcoe @ 90c hopstand 20 min

I plan on dry hopping after reaching fg by soft crashing to 15c with 50g Citra and 50g Simcoe. Duration 2-3 days and then cold crash and keg.

1 packet of the Voss yeast straight into the fermenter, pitching temp around 34c, I aim to keep it around 35c.

I heard it bubbling pretty soon after pitching, and after 3 hours of pitching it has now formed a thick krausen and the airlock is foaming:

IMG_20210802_215640.jpg

Getting ready for fall with 3 gallons of Vienna lager.

3 lbs vienna
3 lbs Pilsner
1 lb munich
1 oz hulled blackprinz (500 L)

.5 oz hops at 60 min
.5 oz hops at 10 min

2 packs S-189

not sure if I’ll use Hallertau or Celia Hops. Going for clean, crisp - no fruit and all flowers.

I've got big plans for this long between-jobs weekend. First of all, take the 3yo camping. Then celebrate wife's birthday. Then, and only then, brew some beer.

I've been warned that very soon my fermentation freezer will revert back to its original purpose; overstock storage of breastmilk. My wife does a really good job of fattening up babies and I'm not going to stand in her way. This is 1 month...

20210802_204155.jpg

So, I'm going to squeeze one more batch in before relinquishing the freezer to higher purposes. Going to cook up my usual best bitter, but with Golden Promise and Imperial Tartan. Maybe reduce the hopping a tad, we'll see.

Then if I can get in one more brewday, I'll do a strong pale ale with whatever bits of MO and Optic I've got, top it off with Simpson's Best Pale, and hop with Mittlefrüh. Pitched with Voss, I'll start my exodus from the dairy.

Last edited:
I swear to dog there are NO more improvements I need for the brewery, so this weekend will be the real inaugural brewstand-is-finally-done batch, since I'm jonesing to use the new kettle. House lager is getting low, but so is the pilsner grain inventory; so I'm going to do a 50/50 pilsner/two-row kinda lager/kinda festbier on fresh S23, with nothing but German hops. Sunday brew instead of Saturday, since Saturday morning I have to run the State Fair entries in, and we're going to a wedding (don't get to take beer because commercial venue, darn it). Then I'll be set for beer until 3 weeks from now when I'll brew up the IPA batch for the upcoming competition; that one will be done on kveik, just a bare 2 weeks before entries are due, so it's nice & fresh.

In a similar vein as a previous post about hefeweizens, I am planning on brewing a Baltic Porter with washed and repitched Marzen yeast slurry.

It has a very similar malt bill to my Marzen with additions of dark malts and Vienna because my brew shop messed up my Marzen malt bill big time and now I have a bunch of extra malt. So yay for Baltic Porters!

Hoping to brew a SMASH Saison this weekend. 1 TEN GALLON batch. 3.33333 gallons will be fermented straight, 6.666666 gallons will be fermented with 3 lb of my Dad's honey and then a final split to 3.3333 of the 6.666666 gallons secondaried on Hungarian toasted oak cubes.

My Pilsener malt is from Valley Malt in Hadley, MA. Hops are pelletized Saaz.

Yeast is dry Belle Saison (hoping I don't regret the dry yeast in place of liquid).

My measurements are not anywhere near that exact BTW.

Last edited:
I swear to dog there are NO more improvements I need for the brewery, so this weekend will be the real inaugural brewstand-is-finally-done batch, since I'm jonesing to use the new kettle. House lager is getting low, but so is the pilsner grain inventory; so I'm going to do a 50/50 pilsner/two-row kinda lager/kinda festbier on fresh S23, with nothing but German hops. Sunday brew instead of Saturday, since Saturday morning I have to run the State Fair entries in, and we're going to a wedding (don't get to take beer because commercial venue, darn it). Then I'll be set for beer until 3 weeks from now when I'll brew up the IPA batch for the upcoming competition; that one will be done on kveik, just a bare 2 weeks before entries are due, so it's nice & fresh.
I am totally with you on the "no more improvements" part. I think I am there too!

Sunday may be a brew day. I'm thinking the Anvil will get a Blue Moon clone and the old cooler MT will get something a little bigger. Not sure just what yet, maybe a Marzanish with Lutra. :mug:

Edit: No, maybe a Kveik smash with MO and citra. I've been thinking about doing the same beer with a different Kveik yeast and fermenting them all at 85* F. That way I can find out what these yeasts can do. Prost

Sunday may be a brew day. I'm thinking the Anvil will get a Blue Moon clone and the old cooler MT will get something a little bigger. Not sure just what yet, maybe a Marzanish with Lutra. :mug:

Edit: No, maybe a Kveik smash with MO and citra. I've been thinking about doing the same beer with a different Kveik yeast and fermenting them all at 85* F. That way I can find out what these yeasts can do. Prost
If you're up for it it'd be interesting to read your tasting notes from this experiment, cheers!

I've got a packet of Lallemand Philly Sour yeast burning a hole in my pocket, and some super old and cheesy hops, thinking about brewing up a "Lambique", adding pasteurized frozen raspberries once primary fermentation winds down. Maybe to tame the old funky hops I'll use just a small amount alongside fresh hops.

Does this make any sense? If not, talk me out of it!
BTW, if the Philly Sour yeast doesn't deliver the sourness I'm looking for, I might hafta dose some lactic acid at kegging.
Hell, I ain't above it.

Since I’m off and not on call this weekend I’m Gonna give the famous
CREAM OF 3 CROPS a go,
I Usually do 2.5 gallon batches but thinking of making this one a full 5.5 gallons ,
2.5 gal for my little keg and bottle the rest. Hopefully the wife leaves me alone long enough to get it done……..

Since I’m off and not on call this weekend I’m Gonna give the famous
CREAM OF 3 CROPS a go,
I Usually do 2.5 gallon batches but thinking of making this one a full 5.5 gallons ,
2.5 gal for my little keg and bottle the rest. Hopefully the wife leaves me alone long enough to get it done……..
That is one of my favorite recipes on the site. I've brewed it twice. LOL The last one was with Lallamand Voss. great yeast for that beer. :mug:

Wife wants me to brew a blue moon clone... and I immediately thought well I know just the place where there is a good recipe for that... HBT!!!!! So I adjusted it for my 15gal batch and we're gonna brew it up on sunday. She picked up the spices and the first 2L starter should be stepped up to the 5L flask tonight.

Cheers!

Wife wants me to brew a blue moon clone... and I immediately thought well I know just the place where there is a good recipe for that... HBT!!!!! So I adjusted it for my 15gal batch and we're gonna brew it up on sunday. She picked up the spices and the first 2L starter should be stepped up to the 5L flask tonight.

Cheers!
I brewed a few Blue Moon clones for my wife, then we extended our palate on to other witbiers, and ended up with a blood orange wit as a regular we always have on tap. Blue Moon is an excellent gateway beer!

Last edited:
How is that Blood Orange Wit ??
I’ve thought about trying it more than once just never got around to it ..

How is that Blood Orange Wit ??
I’ve thought about trying it more than once just never got around to it ..
Turned out really good, I used about half of an 8oz bottle of Amoretti blood orange puree at kegging and shook it up a few times. The first few pints were still a bit too strongly flavored but it evened out after that. Next time I would probably use a bit less of the blood orange and shake it more thoroughly every few days as it carbonates.

Last edited:
Said the hell with brewing on Sunday, and started up this morning instead. We don't have to leave for the wedding until about 4pm, so I've got time in hand. Just mashed in on a batch of the House lager to celebrate the new kettle, and already had a minor screwup; last week "lost" the longer nipple for the CIP ball in the mash tun (found it buried in my recliner/brewchair) and during the search didn't pay attention to the strike temperature. Got up to 177 before I caught it. 2 gallons of cold water from the tap got it down where it needed to be, still hit 152 once mashed in. Once it's on the boil I'll get the last 4 bottles filled for the Fair and get the labels written out. It's gonna be a good day.

Not a very efficient brew day for my first day back. It was 2 hours of cleaning old & new equipment before getting started.

But I got a juice box & I’m heating mash water.

Attachments

• DAFD134B-997D-49CE-B9FE-BE14E6D982EE.jpeg
    DAFD134B-997D-49CE-B9FE-BE14E6D982EE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
913759A2-CE6A-4DAA-B2B5-BD09BF78068C.jpeg
First time attempting a cider on Monday. Krausen rose and fell in about 3 days. Now a second very large krausen has developed. In 7 years of brewing beer I’ve never seen this.

Brewing 10 gal of Imperial New England Farmhouse IPA (kegs 175/176). Got an early start, nearing the end of the mash.

IMG_650121002.jpg

- Gregg

Currently brewing Barnglow (Imperial New England Farmhouse IPA, 9.8%, 90 IBUs)
Cellering Belgian quad (10%)
Drinking House Mouse Demise (imperial multigrain farmhouse, 8.7%), a Belgian Pale (6.3%)
Next up: Rye Saison
#brucontrol

Last edited:
I brewed an iteration of my Voss Pale Ale (this time using Munich vs Crystal to reduce the sweetness, and using Citra + Cascade as the hop combo for an extra citrus punch). I am trying a 100% closed ferment and keg transfer setup. I added a post to a lid for my Fermonster and will use CO2 from fermentation to purge the keg. The dry hops are held in place with some magnets. I swapped the spunding valve in the pic for a blowoff tube.

The Voss (1 pack of Lallemand Voss) was starting to ferment before I finished cleaning all my gear, and it is going full bore this morning at 90F. I am hoping I can cool it down on Wednesday, dry hop for a few days, and keg on Friday or Saturday, to be serving at a campout on Thursday.

IMG_3392.JPG

I brewed an iteration of my Voss Pale Ale (this time using Munich vs Crystal to reduce the sweetness, and using Citra + Cascade as the hop combo for an extra citrus punch). I am trying a 100% closed ferment and keg transfer setup. I added a post to a lid for my Fermonster and will use CO2 from fermentation to purge the keg. The dry hops are held in place with some magnets. I swapped the spunding valve in the pic for a blowoff tube.

The Voss (1 pack of Lallemand Voss) was starting to ferment before I finished cleaning all my gear, and it is going full bore this morning at 90F. I am hoping I can cool it down on Wednesday, dry hop for a few days, and keg on Friday or Saturday, to be serving at a campout on Thursday.

View attachment 738265
Neat setup! I use fermonsters as well, curious what you have that spunding valve set to? Always wondered how much pressure a ported fermonster can handle.

I've got big plans for this long between-jobs weekend. First of all, take the 3yo camping.

Check!

Then celebrate wife's birthday.

Check!

Then, and only then, brew some beer.

Measuring out water and grain. This one'll be a 80/- strength SMaSH. 1.043 worth of Golden Promise, 25IBUs of Fuggles, 2/3 of which will be FWH, the rest at 30m. Fresh pack of Imperial Tartan ready for my first SNS starter.

Neat setup! I use fermonsters as well, curious what you have that spunding valve set to? Always wondered how much pressure a ported fermonster can handle.

I actually swapped off the spunding valve for just a blowoff tube in a jar. I was a little curious/concerned about the pressure and figured it was not worth screwing with for this first try. I would not want to go more than maybe 3 PSI.

Brewed a NEIPA today. Went with a trusty hop combo: Citra, Idaho 7, Strata. This time around with this hop combo though, the Idaho 7 (which I have a solid dose of in the hop steep) was LUPOMAX. Also trying a new yeast with this one, Sundew Ale. Claims of red-berry strawberry had me wanting to see if I can pull some strawberry out of strata. Its claimed to have it but never gotten strawberry from Strata before. If it doesn't, it should still be a nice beer based on past experiences with this hop combo.
65015151453__3F1713C6-D4E8-45F9-9D4F-145E8785738A.jpg

Back