So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing my first maibock today, 5 gallon all grain. Shooting for being ready early to mid may. Pretty excited as I hit my number spot on so far.

Got a yeast starter going, but not brewing until Tues or Weds. Another tripel, but tweaking water and pitching rate, hopefully good things will happen.

Planning on doing my latest iteration of an altbier tomorrow.

I know tomorrow is Monday, but I'm retired so everyday (almost everyday) is a weekend.

[emoji43]...crawfish beer??[emoji37][emoji37][emoji43]..l love crawfish..im not saying it's wrong...but it just ain't right!!!
Reminds me of a guy I know who had the idea that hot dogs and beer go together so well, it would be a good idea to put hot dogs in his boil for a batch of hot dog beer. He finally came around and realized that some perfect combinations are better left side by side. And left on the side, what doesn't beer go with?

It’s Tuesday. That’s not the weekend, but when you’re self-employed and semi-retired, and the weather puts a stop to the day’s productive activities, what better way to spend the afternoon than brewing?

Brewing an Altbier. About ready to start the boil.

8B009E38-C0BD-4C1D-8B69-B1A502B25D38.jpeg

I've been holding off because of being unsure when I need to fly out. Was going to say the heck with it, milled some grain yesterday for a quad, then got hit with rain for the last 2 days. Got an email today with my flight info, will be out of the country from Feb 22-29. Hopefully will be able to squeeze in the quad brew when I get back, or maybe before I leave?

EDIT: screw it, I'm brewing tomorrow.

Last edited:
Took a break from brewing for a few years. Just got my new electric system set up a few weeks ago. Brewed a few batches so far.

1 staple beer was my saison using a “house blend” yeast. Well not brewing for almost 2 years, the yeast didn’t pull through. My inaugural brew was a saison brewed with yeast I harvested from a bottle of DuPont. I saved the yeast cake from that batch.

I got a pouch of Wlp 566 that was expired from my LHBS, so that is spinning up now. If it pulls through I will brew with it, if not I have a fresh pouch of 565.

I am trying to recreate my house yeast the best I can going from the notes I have. Granted that yeast was probably mutated beyond its original mixture, but trying is part of the fun.

Having another group brewday at my buddy's place this weekend; going to brew up my American Strong for that. Just have to hit up the LHBS for some special Belgian, more gypsum, and exchange the propane. YVH is coming through with the hops (slap out of Chinook, original recipe calls for Columbus but I like Chinook better) so all will be ready to load in the SUV Saturday morning. Love taking my brewery on the road, it's the unloading & cleaning at the end that sucks. Looking forward to tasting some homebrew, possibly some spirits, and one of the guys smokes his own cheese which is beyond delectable. Always a fun time.

*edit Also get to show off my medals....

Last edited:
Love the improvised brew steps. Performed like a seasoned soldier! Improvise, overcome, adapt. I usually use counter to chair to flat step stool. The char I was using was my wife's mother chair from like 50 years ago. Was working out fine for a number of years...till I spilled wee heavy wort all over it...wasnt pretty! She called an air strike on me! [emoji23][emoji23]

Took a break from brewing for a few years. Just got my new electric system set up a few weeks ago. Brewed a few batches so far.

1 staple beer was my saison using a “house blend” yeast. Well not brewing for almost 2 years, the yeast didn’t pull through. My inaugural brew was a saison brewed with yeast I harvested from a bottle of DuPont. I saved the yeast cake from that batch.

I got a pouch of Wlp 566 that was expired from my LHBS, so that is spinning up now. If it pulls through I will brew with it, if not I have a fresh pouch of 565.

I am trying to recreate my house yeast the best I can going from the notes I have. Granted that yeast was probably mutated beyond its original mixture, but trying is part of the fun.
What electric equipment are you using? I want to move away from my propane burner.

Thank you,

John

In the middle of a mash of a really nice Irish Red that always is a hit with everyone around here. 5 gallons of this will be given to a friend of mine who asked me to brew this beer for her wedding in March. The other 5 gallons will be served with another beer at my annual St. Paddy's Day Party! Nice way to start a three day weekend!

John

Putting together a great big old wheatwine, then salvaging a belgian wit from the second runnings (plus a little sumtin sumtin to cap off the mash, another half lb of mela and 2-3 lbs of pils).

86409105_2845021162221798_2476283971697115136_o.jpg

Brewed up a Single today. Smooth brew day...4 hours from start to beer in fermenter and all cleaned up (though I let it chill in the chamber for a few hours for the last 20F...about to pitch the yeast).

My goal for 2020 is to brew several Belgian beers. I figured a 5.5% Single is a good way to play with grains, hops, yeast and fermentation temps. This batch was: 5.5 gal batch, 91% Wyermann Bohemian Pils, 4% Dingemans Aromatic, 5% Cane Sugar, 26 IBUs (0.8 oz) Northern Brewer at 60, 0.75 oz Hersbrucker at 20 min, 0.75 oz Hersbrucker at 5 min, Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity, Target OG 1.051, Actual OG 1.052. Should be a good batch to build up yeast for a Dubbel.

20200216_115029 - Copy.jpg

Brewed an APA yesterday (2/15/20) on my brand new BIAB setup. First time using that. OG projected to be 1.056 and I ended with 1.057 so not bad at all. I'm supposed to brew an IPA today, but I'm still waiting on the rains to stop.

Latest posts

Back