So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck, or hope it went well.

BTW, did you know your local KTTC weather guy Ted Schmidt is a homebrewer?

Yes, Ted is a member of the local homebrew club.

The brew went pretty well, except the grain didn't absorb nearly as much water as I calculated, so I ended up with almost an extra gallon, and the gravity is kinda low (about 1.060, it should have been 1.07-something) So I guess it will be a "session IPA" (I hate that term, but sometimes it fits) I pitched the yeast, and it already had a krausen about 2 hours later.

Super excited that this Saturday will be part of a group brewday at a friend's house. There will be four of us, they all do partial mash and they're keen to see how my all-grain system works. Planning a Bear Republic Racer 5 clone, I've done it well in the past and it will be fun. Although loading all my gear in the SUV is gonna be a challenge...got my checklist written out and hope I don't forget anything!

I'm planning to brew a porter this weekend. I brewed it late last winter and fermented with S-33 yeast and it turned out really good. Haven't decided if I'll use S-33 again, T-58, Nottingham, yeast cultured from Bell's Oberon, or Voss Kveik. I have all of those in my fridge. (the Oberon is still in cans) I really like that I can pitch the kveik yeast at 80+ degrees because my immersion chiller sucks, so it may become my "house yeast" just for that reason. But it attenuates more than I really need for this beer.

IMG_0004.JPG

Mashing my first all grain brew after 46 extract and grains or partial mash batches. A Pilsner.

Currently half through the boil on my last all grain for the year. When it gets cold I switch to extract or partial mash for the winter.

I'm about to boil my first of two 18 gallon batches of American Wheat. Gotta drive the kids around so there's a little Gap between the mash and the boil.

October 13, 2019

I am brewing a London Fog Porter kit from Midwest Supplies. Waiting for my cider yeast to arrive as I recently scored four gallons of fresh pressed unpasteurized apple cider. Going to mix in a mixed berry juice and see what results!

October 13, 2019

I am brewing a London Fog Porter kit from Midwest Supplies. Waiting for my cider yeast to arrive as I recently scored four gallons of fresh pressed unpasteurized apple cider. Going to mix in a mixed berry juice and see what results!

A time traveler is brewing next year as we speak (OK, as we type). Awesome!

Group brewday yesterday went fantastically well. Five of us brewed 6 batches over about 7 hours, much homebrew was shared, excellent snacks and pizza were consumed, and a great time was had by all. Hit my numbers right on the nose too. Best of all, my husband has decided that he now wants to brew his OWN partial mash batch for the next one. He's been super supportive of me and my obsession but has never expressed an interest in doing it himself. Seeing all of us having a great time (the host is a bowling buddy of us both) changed his mind. Have I created a monster???

Got a window to brew next friday but I'm all out of ideas... Went through my old hops and got the following bag-ends in the freezer:

Mt.Hood 5AA 40g
Hallertau Mittelfruch 4.4AA 40g
East Kent Goldings 5.1AA 25g
Target 10.6AA 20g
Bramling Cross 5.2AA 30g
First Gold 6.8AA 25g
Tettnager 3AA 40g

Any ideas welcome, want to get rid of these as some of them are quite old. Need to order malts today so they make it here in time.

brewing a grain based, soon to be alcoholic liquid! was hoping to do it yesterday, but needed to dry in the oven longer. got excited about my new @Schlenkerla baskets, and didn't give the grain the full 24 hours with the box fan, just 8...ended up kilning it for 36 hours instead of 12...

Looking forward to adding another 10 gals to the how many gallons thread! when i add the yeast it's officially beer! acording to the gov'ment, doesn't matter what my water profile was, how many steps i had in the mash, or the pH! malt, water, sometimes hops, makes beer!

So hell yeah i'm brewing this weekend! (and sometimes weekdays!)...

I just got done making a Light Pilsner (OG 1.041)

I found a recipe for a Light Ale earlier this year. I've made 5 batches. I tweaked 1 ingredient each time and every one of them were great. This time I changed the 7# 2 row with Pilsner, the 12 oz crystal with Munich Lager and the Cascades hops with Saaz. I kept the AAUs the same, but reduced the Saaz aroma hops by half. Also using WLP862 Cry Havoc yeast and fermenting cold.

Only the brew pot is left to clean.

No brewing this weekend. But, bottled a blonde Belgium ale at FG 1.004 / 7.3%. One more week before my winter wheat-kicker is ready to bottle. OG 1.084 with Lellemand Munich Classic.

I hope to brew my American Barleywine this Friday. I have my big starter going this week. I hope I have time to do my first partygyle beer too. I’m debating if I’ll try to weigh then crush the grain and mash in around 11pm after working all day and driving six hours to return home Thursday night. Let it mash all night and get up early in the morning to start letting the bag (I BIAB) drain while I get the kids ready for school then fire up the burner after they leave.
Hmmm I guess I’ll have to see how I feel Thursday night.

I just got done making a Light Pilsner (OG 1.041)

Only the brew pot is left to clean.

ahhh, clean up...I got active fermentation in my beer before i even had time to clean the pot! pitched 3 cups of left over yeast sediment from the last batch, at 85f!

yeah, i know, i know....but it still makes a decent beer!

ahhh, clean up...I got active fermentation in my beer before i even had time to clean the pot! pitched 3 cups of left over yeast sediment from the last batch, at 85f!

yeah, i know, i know....but it still makes a decent beer!

YIKES! LOL!

I learned to "clean as you go" a long time ago. During any free time I dry and put it all away too.

What I meant was after the wort goes into the primary all I have left to clean is the brew pot, lid, paddle and very few odds and ends. Done. :rock:

Did my herbal stout yesterday. Extra long mash due to an impromptu bowling trip with my mom, aunt, and nephew. Blowing through the airlock this morning.

Back