So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heating strike water for my golden strong ale. I am going to try to bottle a batch along the way but that means I will need to drink several... I mean, 'empty' several more bottles today!

Heating up to mash out on a chocolate hazelnut porter
20180527_122315.jpg

I brewed my first Barleywine yesterday. A small 3.5 gallon batch which came up short with about 3.2 gallons in the fermenter, and quite a bit of trub. It took off like a rocket and is going strong now.

20180526_130448.jpg 20180526_182309.jpg This weekend brewed a basic American wheat that my wife enjoys and lemondrop saison that northern brewer had advertised, all four of my fermentors are full! In two weeks when two of them should open up I'm gonna do maybe a October fest and maybe some sort of IPA haven't pick either recipe out yet though

Decided to take on a venture of doing ultra small batch brews, we are talking 1.5 gallon yields. This is to get me acquainted with how each variety of hop reacts with each malt. It's an incredibly fast process - boil time is cut in half, and my ingredients usage is almost nothing. Today's venture :

a SMaSH beer called 100 Degree Day (that's what it is outside).

2 gallons water
1 lb Great Western NW Pale Ale High Color
4g Amarillo at boil, for 50 minutes
4g Amarillo for 20 minutes
and later will dry hop the remaining Amarillo I have (another 3-4g)

So far it's smelling great. I bought two 2.5 gal food grade buckets from Menards yesterday, and drilled spigots for them today. Can't wait to see the results.

Happy Memorial Day!

Last edited:
Finally snuck in a brew day! The new job has killed my brewing but I took Sat off and made an English Rye IPA and plan on making a Vienna lager on Monday (rain, rain stay away...!)

Since its forecast to be over 100 degrees Friday through Sunday here, I'll be brewing an all grain AHS Greenbelt Pale Ale kit INDOORS this weekend.

I dumped a nut brown because it smelled like vinegar :( I'm not sure how it became contaminated, but took it as a wake up call to be more vigilant about sanitation. And, brewed it again.

I’m planning on brewing my first all grain batch of beer this weekend! I’m going to try BierMuncher’s Cream Of Three crops. It’s gonna be a small batch BIAB (2.5 gallon). Although, I’m using grits rather than flaked maize. Regardless, I’m excited and I hope it turns out well!

I’m planning on brewing my first all grain batch of beer this weekend! I’m going to try BierMuncher’s Cream Of Three crops. It’s gonna be a small batch BIAB (2.5 gallon). Although, I’m using grits rather than flaked maize. Regardless, I’m excited and I hope it turns out well!

Great choice with the cream of three crops.. It is a house ale (usually available) at my place. Let us know how it turns out!

Looks like another Julius batch this weekend, it keeps disappearing so fast it's like someone is sneaking in and filling growlers at night!

Cheers! :D

Glad to! It's a simple grain bill...

5# 2-row
3# wheat
2# flaked wheat

Mash at 150°-152° for an hour

1oz Willamette (5.1aa) at 60 min
1oz Kazbek (4.1aa) at 5 min
Total IBU of 29

Fermented at 65° for 14 days with wlp001

Add apricots (4-5#) after primary is nearly complete (10-14 days).

I pureed and froze the fruit before thawing and adding to beer.

I did this last year with cherry puree. It was very good so I was asked to do it again.
Couldn't find Kazbek so used Czech Saaz but just kegged. I used 4lbs of papaya instead. Cut into 1in squares and added at day 2 fermentation. Sample to keg was awesome! Love a simple recipe. Thanks!

I'm brewing an oatmeal brown that I'll secondary on blackberries, and a Czech Pilsner tomorrow.

Despite my lack of interest in the style, I finally got around to brewing BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde and just put 5.5 gallons of liquid gold into the chamber. Had a great brew day, I love when I hit all my numbers...

I just finished brewing a blonde ale, not directly to style as I was using up some odds and ends of grains. Going to put some or all on strawberries, haven’t quite decided yet.

On Friday I brewed up a Best Case West Coast Pale Ale partial grain kit, and taking some inspiration from NewToHomeBrewTom on YouTube, chucked in 200g of toasted coconut at the end of the boil, and will add 200g more once I rack over to secondary. Tried to find a general, easy-drinking beer for most people as I'm brewing it up in anticipation of our first child being born in mid-July, plus I love the idea of adding toasted coconut to get some of that flavor into the beer.

On Friday I brewed up a Best Case West Coast Pale Ale partial grain kit, and taking some inspiration from NewToHomeBrewTom on YouTube, chucked in 200g of toasted coconut at the end of the boil, and will add 200g more once I rack over to secondary. Tried to find a general, easy-drinking beer for most people as I'm brewing it up in anticipation of our first child being born in mid-July, plus I love the idea of adding toasted coconut to get some of that flavor into the beer.

Congratulations on your first child! I am sure I don't need to tell you but once they're born the real work begins!

Coconut pale ale?? Sounds... Intriguing.

Did my first all grain (BIAB) batch Thursday night. NEIPA Mosaic/Galaxy. I've brewed this same recipe with extract, and it was my favorite concoction after a year of strictly extract. Finally made the jump. Hit all my projected numbers, now just have to wait for the yeast to do it's job!

Congratulations on your first child! I am sure I don't need to tell you but once they're born the real work begins!

Coconut pale ale?? Sounds... Intriguing.

Thanks for the congrats! We're pretty excited to finally get to meet her. Had a few folks echo the same sentiment, but it'll all be worth it.

Yeah, the original recipe that NewToHomeBrewTom offered up was for an IPA, but as most of my family aren't big fans of hopped up beers, I thought a nice pale would suffice, and as I'm somewhat limited in what I can actually brew at the moment, Best Case's Pale seemed to be a good base kit to go off.
The Nottingham Ale yeast that came with the kit must have been supercharged, it was bubbling away a little under 2 hours after going into the fermenting bucket.

Doing hop additions now for my House SMaSH IPA with two row and Mosaic. Smells very much good in here right now! Only the 5 minutes & flameout additions to go then the chiller does its magic. Then the cleaning....the tub of PBW I bought today should help out with that. What's that my dear? Dinner? Oh hell no I've been cooking beer all day....you go ahead. Yeah that'll work.

Up early this morning to brew a batch of warm fermented lager. Using S-23 as they were out of 34/70 and I didn't save the yeast from the last batch, because laziness. Waiting on the boil now, gonna bitter with Cascade and might make some late additions with Amarillo or Mosaic, haven't decided yet.

Friends over yesterday - Put in a Mandarina Bavaria/Citra IPA. ESB, White Wheat, CArapils. 20 IBU bittering and the rest after boil. Numbers came in low, but first time with white wheat malt, so wondering if the ocnversion there suffered.

Back