So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished an Oddsides PA. Getting ready to transfer to carboy. All temps to drop then pitch.
Then football the rest of the day.

Well, no brewing today, but I did just finish bottling up 55 bottles of a robust porter with cacao nibs and vanilla beans. The sample I tasted was amazing. Can't wait to get it carbed and chilled.

Just finished Caramel Amber Ale. Awesome brew day the weather is beautiful and everything went so smoothly I am now double checking my notes to see if I missed anything.

Its in the fermenter in swamp cooler at this moment.

Made a russian imperial stout and then used the grist for a parti-gyle dry stout. Two for one (plus a little dme...)!

Also, Brauer, that Merry Krampus label is awesome!

Made a russian imperial stout and then used the grist for a parti-gyle dry stout. Two for one (plus a little dme...)!

Also, Brauer, that Merry Krampus label is awesome!

That is cool! Exactly what I have planed for Wednesday (10-fidy clone and then an english stout gyle). If you don't mind me asking, how much grains for RIS and what did the parti gyle OG end up being?

That is cool! Exactly what I have planed for Wednesday (10-fidy clone and then an english stout gyle). If you don't mind me asking, how much grains for RIS and what did the parti gyle OG end up being?

The RIS was 20.5lbs of grain...my regular mash tun couldn't handle that so I mashed in one of my kettles. The OG of the parti gyle dry stout was at 1.035 which I guess is fine but I added just a bit of dme to kick it up a little and ended up at 1.052 after the boil. I was reading that a classic technique is to drop a bit of crushed crystal and maybe more of some sort of dark roasted malt onto the parti gyle to improve the body. I didn't do that but it seems like it worked pretty well anyway. I think it is a pretty classic combo.

The RIS was 20.5lbs of grain...my regular mash tun couldn't handle that so I mashed in one of my kettles. The OG of the parti gyle dry stout was at 1.035 which I guess is fine but I added just a bit of dme to kick it up a little and ended up at 1.052 after the boil. I was reading that a classic technique is to drop a bit of crushed crystal and maybe more of some sort of dark roasted malt onto the parti gyle to improve the body. I didn't do that but it seems like it worked pretty well anyway. I think it is a pretty classic combo.

That is good info! I have 4lbs of grain, all same ratio as RIS, for the gyle and 1lb Dark DME for standby. Thanks, I feel more comfortable going into this project!

GAH!!!! Fruit flies in my yeast....frick. Got an ~11% RIS and had two packs of safbrew abbaye ready to go. Moved the "covered" jug it was rehydrating in and buncha fruit flies come out. GAH. I had left the aluminum foil cover tilted from when i was boiling the water.

So wort in the basement, will try to get more yeast tomorrow.

Brewed a nice smelling American pale ale today and loaded it with citra. So much my local home brew guy gave me the look like, "are you sure this is what you want?" Haha

So how many people would post to this thread EVERY weekend? I havent missed one since I got out of the hospital. I wanted to convince the dorctors to let my bring in my BIAB setup but that was in between talking about Dinosaurs on the ceiling and whether or not Martians could read pdf files so they didnt listen....

Bottled 12 gallons of Biermuncher's Belgian Blonde
Bottled 6 gallons Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout
Brewed 12 gallons Noble D Honey Hefeveizen

Busy beer weekend.

My last IPA was a total experiment. I had been using a particular grain bill and I never varied the timing and amounts of hops, but last time I chucked it all and started from scratch.

It was ... educational.

The new recipe had some bugs to work out, but I think I've got new recipe v. 2.0 all figured out.

Basically it's got a lot of pilsner, some Vienna and wheat and a little victory. I'll do two just-over-three-oz hopsstands with a blend of Nugget, Simcoe, and Amarillo and then dry hop with the same thing. Should be interesting.

Bottled 12 gallons of Biermuncher's Belgian Blonde
Bottled 6 gallons Dwarven Warrior Oatmeal Stout
Brewed 12 gallons Noble D Honey Hefeveizen

Busy beer weekend.

Wow. That's more than 250 12oz bottles. I want to know what your bottling routine is.

Wow. That's more than 250 12oz bottles. I want to know what your bottling routine is.

I have help, my 4 kids aid in the sanitize, fill, and cap procedure. The biggist issue I have right now is having enough bottles. Looking forward to a keg someday.

didn't wait till the weekend to brew. brewed up rahr's winter warmer tonight. this weekend i'll be brewing up 10 gallons of the fizzy yellow beer, also. might also throw in a 5g brown ale, since i have the fermenter space and the makings

It's been a good year and I can't wait to get back to brewing. Going to start with a boubon barrel aged porter with some long term cellaring, then on to an iPA that I can drink in a few weeks

Brewed a Mystery Ale today. I'm not really sure what grains went into it, as I was cleaning out some miscellaneous bags from the cabinet and figured I'd use them before they were useless, as they've probably been in there at least 4 months. I >think< it was roughly:

½lb Flaked Oats
½lb Victory
½lb Crystal 120
½lb Belgian Wheat
1½lb 2-row
¼lb Amber Belgian Candi Sugar at 225-263°
1lb Corn sugar @ flameout

All I really know for sure is that it totaled out to 3lb 8.5oz of grains, plus the corn sugar and candi sugar. I first wort hopped with ½oz Liberty at 5.8% AA and ¼oz Amarillo at 8% AA, and added ½oz Citra at 7.5% AA at 5 minutes, and the plan is to double dry hop with Citra and Amarillo. Final volume was a shade over 2½ gallons, and I added half a packet of US-05. It's not really an experiment so much as just having fun, since my hydrometer is broken and I have no clue what most of the ingredients are. It made me feel like I usually do when I cook, because I do that the same way. FEEL the recipe, and just add a bit of this, and a dash of that. The result could be awesome, or it could be an abject failure. Whatever it is, dammit, I had FUN making it!

Just finished my Simplicity Pale Ale - emphasizing perfection in process over complexity of ingredients

95% pale malt
5% C40
--------
1.052 predicted (and measured!)

2oz Centennial @ 60 min (30 IBU)
8oz Cascade @ Whirlpool 45 min/180F
2oz Centennial @ Whirlpool 45 min/180F

US-05 (first time i've done in ale in about 1.5 years) @ 64F

Back