So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is due in 37 days so I'm currently on my second batch of the weekend (choc porter last night). Maris otter cascade smash.

Congrats to both of you. Yeah, get your brews in while you can.;)

I am a tired boy right now. I didn't keep a close eye on my pipeline and both my taps ran dry this weekend. I only have 2 taps and 3 kegs so I have to keep close watch, but I didn't. I'm not in too bad a shape though.

I made a Helles last week, but that needs another month at least before tapping. I also have a British mild that was ready for the keg. So today I:

Brewed a southern brown
Kegged the mild ale
Cleaned out the mild's ferm bucket then moved the southern brown into that, and dumped in half the mild's yeast cake. Wyeast 1496-good for all that is brown:mug:
Cleaned out the other 2 kegs and both beer lines
Chopped the 2 inches of ice that was sitting on my driveway before the next snow started

So I'll be drinking Newcastles until my mild is carbed up, then the brown will be along in about 3 weeks. Serves me right for not having enough brews on deck.

I feel your pain with the empty kegs -- I let my pipeline dry up just before christmas ! Getting back on traCK, thankfully, and made my first of the year entry into the new Brewers logbook (thank you James)

I am wondering what style of beer this recipe makes ... something I cobbled together today with spare parts for a 2.5G batch

3.5 lbs Pils DME

1.5 oz cascade (60)
1 oz Willamette (10)

Nottingham dry yeast

got 1.056 and I will be curious what this will taste like -- I am thinking an American Pale Ale (??)

Brewed up 5.5 of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale clone this morning. Just finished my Saturday chores, now time to relax. OG 1.050

Here was my sample before pitching.

IMG_2618-L.jpg

Happy Brewing!

Brewed up 5.5 of Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale clone this morning. Just finished my Saturday chores, now time to relax. OG 1.050

Here was my sample before pitching.

IMG_2618-L.jpg

Happy Brewing!

Wow that's going to be purdy. You got a really good break if your sample looks that clear. What finings / filtering / chill method are you using?

Wow that's going to be purdy. You got a really good break if your sample looks that clear. What finings / filtering / chill method are you using?

I just used one tablet of whirfloc at 10 minutes. Sadly, my inexperience kicked in shortly after the picture was taken. I gave the wort a good hard spin and let it sit in the BK for 15 minutes to settle - which it did. But as I was siphoning off the wort into the primary there was still about 1-1 1/2 gallons of wort left that I needed to get my full 5.5 gallons of wort for the carboy. Not wanting to short myself, I cringed as I siphoned the rest of it in there. It went from looking absolutely beautiful to disgusting in 15 seconds.

The instructions on the kits tells me to transfer to secondary in one week so that I can add my dry hops. I hope the yeasties get's to work ASAP so that things can settle down a lil before I rack over to my 5 gallon carboy. Maybe just maybe it'll clear out again.

I'm brewing today for my first time! I'm doing a witbier extract kit (brewer's best).... I want to do the whole 5 gallons worth that comes in the kit but I only have a 5 gallon ss pot. Will that be a problem?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app

I was siphoning off the wort into the primary there was still about 1-1 1/2 gallons of wort left that I needed to get my full 5.5 gallons of wort for the carboy. Not wanting to short myself, I cringed as I siphoned the rest of it in there. It went from looking absolutely beautiful to disgusting in 15 seconds. ... Maybe just maybe it'll clear out again.

It will. Many of us here regularly suck the break material into the fermenter. It ought to precipitate out as the yeast finish eating.

I'm brewing today for my first time! I'm doing a witbier extract kit (brewer's best).... I want to do the whole 5 gallons worth that comes in the kit but I only have a 5 gallon ss pot. Will that be a problem?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Home Brew mobile app
I would assume you'd do ~3 gallon boil and top up to 5 gallons in the fermenter, at least that's how most extract kits come.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Screw brewing outside with temps in the teen.

Adventures in Homebrewing had a Dunkel Rye extract kit for $20 this week.

Its boiling away on the stove as I type. I am not expecting anything spectacular but its filling my need to brew.

Nothing this weekend outside of swamp cooler management.

The end of the week and next weekend will be a lot though. Thursday evening, bottling my Dusseldorf Alt, racking its bigger brothers to secondary for "lagering" at ~40 for a month. And crack open a bottle of Westy 12 for my birthday (one of the 5 I have left from last year's release). Friday after work, I'll brew a Roggenbier. Thinking I'll do a 3 or 4 step decoction mash (either acid/sacch/mashout or acid/protein/sacch/mashout) that'll be a lot of work. Despite the late night, get up early Saturday, bottle my SMaSH. Then SWMBO takes me out for birthday dinner. Promised a bottle of Cantillon with dinner (assuming we can find a place that has some on hand). And then Sunday, brew a Weizenbock, also with a 3 or 4 step decoction mash, and do my first ever top crop from the Roggenbier for the yeast.

Tomorrow I'll be brewing my first batch on my new mash tun, boil kettle, propane burner, wort chiller set up. I''ll be starting with NB's SMaSH and adding some other left over specialty malts and a bunch of hops. Won't be a SMaSH no more.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

I just used one tablet of whirfloc at 10 minutes. Sadly, my inexperience kicked in shortly after the picture was taken. I gave the wort a good hard spin and let it sit in the BK for 15 minutes to settle - which it did. But as I was siphoning off the wort into the primary there was still about 1-1 1/2 gallons of wort left that I needed to get my full 5.5 gallons of wort for the carboy. Not wanting to short myself, I cringed as I siphoned the rest of it in there. It went from looking absolutely beautiful to disgusting in 15 seconds.

The instructions on the kits tells me to transfer to secondary in one week so that I can add my dry hops. I hope the yeasties get's to work ASAP so that things can settle down a lil before I rack over to my 5 gallon carboy. Maybe just maybe it'll clear out again.

Ignore those directions. Leave it sit on the yeast for at least 10 days. Most folks on this forum skip the secondary. There are a few good reasons to do it, but if you don't know why you want to, then you probably don't need to. Just go straight from primary to keg/bottle.

Back on topic, tomorrow I'm brewing a Flanders Red :rockin:

Rochester? I'm from buffalo and went to undergrad at Geneseo. But Ya, it's been really cold in Columbus lately.....It was -30F with wind chill last week

-Rooster

Gotta love buffalo since I still live here haha.
Drinking some hb. Wish I was brewing but not enough supplies on hand.
Brewing later on in the week or next weekend as my pipeline is rather weak

Just got done with an AG clone kit from Northern Brewer of Surly Bender ale. Interesting day for sure this was my 3rd AG brew day. Some observations..... First off my supposed 9 gallon brew kettle from Bayou Classic was actually 8 gallons, wife was kinda mad since it was an Xmas present last year too late to send it back. Now I know why I overshot the OG on my first two batches. So I carefully poured a measured 1 gallon into the kettle and made some marks on the 5.5 gallon and 7 gallon levels. Had an uneventful mash, boil went fine. Ended up with what i thought was 5.5 gallons..........when i poured it in the fermenter it was 6 gallons. WTF??? Found out i measured wrong.... supposed to be 1.060 and i ended up with 6 gallons of 1.058. I'll take it!

So my brew kettle is a little small, but i remembered a trick from HBT. I put 1.5 gallons of the first runnings of the mash into a smaller kettle and chucked that on the stove. The rest of the first runnings and the sparge went into the main brew kettle (about 5.5.gallons). When i went to do my boil after I had the brew kettle on the burner I poured in the first runnings from the stove (they were near boiling) and went to town. Fermcap helps when you are using a smaller kettle.

Getting good. My first AG brew days was almost 6 hours, today I did it in less than 4 hours. Every time I brew i learn new tricks.

I brewed an all-brett porter over the weekend. It was about as uneventful a brew-day as you can get - aside from the fact I did it while freezing my ass off in the garage.

Good news is SWIMBO took pity on me - a brew-shed may be in my near future!

Bryan

Brewed a 11 gal, AG California Common yesterday called Cleveland Steamer (my own recipe). Put in a stepped starter from 1 to 2.5L of old yeast ( Sep date) and threw in a pack of December 13th manufactured yeast as well. Super-gurgle now and I pitched yeast at 8 last night!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I brewed up a Meridian pale ale, and an "Imperial India Saison" that I'll be serving at the local extreme beer fest.

My son, a friend and his son and I all got together Saturday and brewed up 11 gallons of RIS. OG 1.098. Stuff is going crazy, I've had to change the container that the blowoff tubes go into three times. We've probably lost a gallon of beer.

My son, a friend and his son and I all got together Saturday and brewed up 11 gallons of RIS. OG 1.098. Stuff is going crazy, I've had to change the container that the blowoff tubes go into three times. We've probably lost a gallon of beer.

Ive had that happen before, it sucks losing ~ a gallon of beer due to a hyper active fermentation. :ban:

Shoulda used a larger fermenter with more head space. ;)

Waiting for the mash to finish. Brewing a West Coast IPA full of Columbus, Simcoe and Cascade. Will be dry hopping with Amarillo, Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe.

This is a "re-brew" for me, a recipe I think I will be repeating often.

Doing an extract hefewiesse today...first time on a wheat beer. Seems to be going well, so far. Brewing outside on a burner borrowed from my brother inlaw (his turkey fryer set-up.) Thanks, Jerry!

1390251812760.jpg

My weekend running long, so today is a partial mash IPA. Cascade, citra, el dorado. Shooting for ~50IBU and 5%.

(Basically using up a bunch of DME I have and some older hops that need to get into beer.)

First brew of the new year I'm makin a session beer about 1045. With a full bodied mash profile, Belgian pilsner malt a high percentage of C10 and a touch of light Munich. Hop charges at 30, 5 and 0 with CHops about 40Ibus and well clean that up with some 1272. Cheers!

Today I moved my Krolsh from primary to a secondary. This is because I brewed a batch of a Moose Drool clone and I needed my bucket! Man this is going to be a great spring

Moved the irish red to secondary and brewed my stout. Had an inkling to add some cinnamon to the wort to see if it would add anything. After some sprinkles, I realized it was chili powder, damn BWI so my friend said

Back