So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrNickVT said:
I brewed my first AG batch yesterday. Brewed a blonde ale. I got better efficiency then I thought I would. First time around wasn't bad. Only thing that sucked was the longer then anticipated brew day!
brewed my first all grain yesterday as well( pale ale) . Everything went well but still waiting for ferment to start up. Yours going already?

vtbrewer111 said:
brewed my first all grain yesterday as well( pale ale) . Everything went well but still waiting for ferment to start up. Yours going already?
oh yes. Just racked into secondary. Went from 1.052 to 1.008 in 10 days!

Brew my first partial mash today. Kind of ESP/EPA. Also did my first yeast starter. Only used us-05 but i did it for ****s and giggles more then anything. May have to order some liquid yeast now. Good temps to do lagers right now.

Good luck to all others brewing!!

After a summer that was pretty much a lose for brewing (busy at work, new baby in the house, etc; I have some excuses), I finally got things going again. Shooting for a 2 gallon batch of AG BIAB barley wine with some cascade and simcoe hops.

Just threw in the bittering hops after a fairly smooth mash, considering that it's been months since I've brewed. Only real problem was BeerSmith's underestimating the volume of water + grain. Ended up with a bit of overflow. Gotta say, it's really nice not screwing around with DME---the hot break was so much easier to manage than ever before.

Wound up with a free second recipe's worth of malts through some brew shop hijinks. So next weekend or so I'm going to repeat this (hopefully without the overflow) but using EKG instead of the American hops. I'd planned to do a full UK style barleywine with UK malts, but this'll be ok, and a real direct comparison of the hops.

I took part in the Covert Hops Society's Fall Group Brew yesterday, brewing up a mild from an established and trusted recipe. Despite some missteps along the way (Dorothy, our RIMS, apparently hadn't been cleaned as thoroughly as we thought it was after the last brewing session, and some of the connections were clogged), we managed to get the wort into Tinman (our brew kettle, which was being heated on the new brewing stand, the Wicked Witch of the West, which features two 10" banjo burners, which replaces Toto, the heavily-rusted one we'd used for years) by mid-afternoon. I had to leave a bit early, but the host of the gathering was gracious enough to make sure my carboy had been filled and pitched for me - thank you very much, Eric! - and I picked up the fermenting beer today.

Dorothy the RIMS.jpg

Toto and the Witch.jpg

Im currently brewing up BM SWMBO Slayer. Just started the boil. His recipe called for (willamet?) hops, but I sub'd them for Fuggles. Thought I would use up what I had in the fridge. Anyways I just got my boil over, lol. Ill keep ya updated.

ForumRunner_20131110_160523.png

Leaving on vacation, and all my fermenters are empty, so needed to get something going...

Threw together a 1.5 gallon batch of a hoppy American Red Ale with Centennial, Amarillo and Citra out of some leftover DME, crystal 40 and carafa III. A little short on fermentables so added some brown sugar to bring it up to 1.065.

Should be ready to dry hop when I return from Hawaii!

I have tomorrow (Veteran's Day) off, and have the house to myself. First chance I've had to brew in a month. I stoked!

BTW, thanks to all vets and active duty personnel for your service!:eek:nestar:

So all finished up with the SWMBO Slayer. Im thinking it looks a bit dark in the carboy, but looks ok in the gravity reading tube.

ForumRunner_20131110_185332.png

ForumRunner_20131110_185408.png

Next up is either an XPA or Coffee Porter. Since I have all the ingredients for the Extra Pale, I'll probably go with that while I await my specialty grains for the CP.

I got to brew my first spontaneous fermented beer on Friday, and today I'm going to brew an oatmeal stout. :)

Gonna brew 2 batches this weekend, an IPA and a Saison, to showcase our up and coming brewery at the Phoenix Brewer's Invitiational on Dec. 7th.

cutting it a little close, eh? :D

Yeah, not much chance for error... With the right amount of happy, healthy yeast and good temp control we won't have trouble though. It's even a little longer than my normal turn-time, especially for the IPA. I would have liked to have more time to prepare, but we just found out we are doing this last Thursday. :ban:

Doing an experiment today. Small 1 gallon batch. A Pumpkin pie hefe. Well see how it turns out.

Re-brewing my porter today. Had a little accident with my last batch at the end of fermentation. I was draining the trub out of my conical and forgot about my blowoff tube. Ended up sucking up about a gallon and a half of stars san into the fermenter. Oops

Since I did not manage it today(cleaned all of my kegs and house a bit as well) since I have Thursday off this week I am brewing up that batch of Cream Ale I have been neglecting, and then on Saturday am brewing a Boddingtons Pub-ish ale with a friend and possibly the head brewer of a now defunct brewery.

This Sunday I will be brewing 2 batchs of IPA. The wife and I are having a brew-off. Same recipe but have to use different fruit.

Using 6row,uswheat, victory,am carapils,2oz of rosasted barley and crystal10L. Not doing all grin yet so using pale lme and 1lb extra light. For the hops 1oz of each. Centennial 60min chinook 30min cascade 10min. And American ale yeast. Wyeast 1056

She has gone out of the box and went with Pluots (plum apricot) making a PIPA. She's still thinking of a 2nd item to add

I have picked Apples and Cranberrys. With ginger root. Cranapple. Calling this a cranapp IPA

Now we just have to figure out how much fruit and when/how long to steep in wort.

Also have a Pumpkin wheat in the 2nd ready to be bottled. Thinking of priming with Molasses.
And lastly I will be getting my outdoor 62k btu burner! Can't wait to use.

I haven't brewed in way too long, so it's time to get cranking again. Won't be brewing this weekend, but will hit the LHBS late week, get a starter going, and brew a Dusseldorf Altbier early next week while I'm on vacation.

Just finished the brew
9lbs Belgian pilsner
1lb Flaked Wheat
80min 144 10min 147 10min 152
Just to see how dry the Belle Saison yeast well go
.5 Citra@60 .5Galaxy@40 .5Galaxy@20 1Galaxy@5 .5Simcoe@5 .5Citra@5
1.050SG. Startering fermentaion @68F and plan on going as high as 78F. After fermentation Im going to keg and cold condition for a week then carb fairly high, a little worried about an astringent bitterness, but am looking forward to getting this once through the process

I'm hoping my Whiskely stout I bottled 6 days ago will be good by Christmas. With only about 1/3 of a large bag of ice left,I'm wondering if I should go ahead & get the vanilla porter going today?! I do have 2G of local spring water in the fridge a couple days now. Maybe that'll be enough with the ice I have left to get down to pitch temp? IDK...

Well,the 156F mash temp on my robust porter worked a lot better than on the stout. This one has a good roasty almost soup kinda smell. like french roast coffee smell mixing with smells of dinner or something. Got the boil going with .5oz warrior for bittering. Fuggle & wakatu goin in at 20 & 15. The vanilla has been soaking in vodka a couple days now. Should be great by the time I dump it in the beer.

My third starter from Bells dregs should be at high krausen after the last step this morning. So I should be set to brew this weekend.

Going to do my third batch of orange pale ale using zested tangerine peels and homegrown cascade hops. I am going to up the gravity and the hopping a tad this time to make it an extra pale ale.

I will use the Bells yeast from the EPA to brew up my 50th brew, a massive Barleywine that can age in carboys till spring. Can't wait to see how high I can get that gravity.

solbes said:
My third starter from Bells dregs should be at high krausen after the last step this morning. So I should be set to brew this weekend.

Going to do my third batch of orange pale ale using zested tangerine peels and homegrown cascade hops. I am going to up the gravity and the hopping a tad this time to make it an extra pale ale.

I will use the Bells yeast from the EPA to brew up my 50th brew, a massive Barleywine that can age in carboys till spring. Can't wait to see how high I can get that gravity.

Recipe please?

Back