So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently drinking my 2nd cup of coffee waiting for my neighbors to get up so I don't wake their dogs hauling the brew stuff out of the shed. I mean c'mon, it's 6:54AM, get up already. We have a Belgian Strong to brew.

I don't sparge since I use the BIAB method. Still, I've never used quick oats before so who knows what will happen to my bag.

I've been tempted to add some vanilla and cinnamon also. Radical brewing lists those things to make their oatmeal cookie ale. But I'm a coward and will probably make the brown in a purer form. Spiced beers are good when you have one bottle every now and then, but a whole keg when I only have 2 taps? I'm thinking not
What spices are you using in your Christmas ale?

Oh good, yes you have that sorted. I'm sure it will be fine, and delicious. I love oats in beer.

My beer is using cinnamon sticks, ginger root, nutmeg, allspice, and vanilla. Like you said, i don't want 5 gallons of it so this is just a 3 gallon batch. I'll probably bottle this batch. Mmmmmmm....

Just got done brewing a partial mash founders breakfast stout semi-clone! My first stout and my first time using oats, coffee and chocolate.

ForumRunner_20131006_114007.jpg

I think my efficiency woes come from buying my grain pre-milled; I've noticed the efficiency varies greatly depending on which store I buy from. Thankfully, I'm getting a grain mill for my birthday, so I should be able to resolve that source of viability...

Bryan

I have an American Wheat on tap right now. I dry hopped it with 1 oz of citra. It is a winner in my book. Not overpowering, but makes the wheat a bit more interesting. It is also great for folks like me that like a hit of hops aroma/flavor but are not into the bitterness of IPA's

Agree with this. I used Citra late in the boil and wasn't a fan. Anything that you put in an American wheat really shows through. 1 Oz dry hop is the way to go.

Finally getting around to brewing the Dubbel I've been meaning to brew for the last couple weeks.

I think my efficiency woes come from buying my grain pre-milled; I've noticed the efficiency varies greatly depending on which store I buy from. Thankfully, I'm getting a grain mill for my birthday, so I should be able to resolve that source of viability...

Bryan

You'll def like the grain mill! My efficiency went up,with less of the poofy,floury part clouding the beer. Get Some Fivestar super moss as well. It's been good stuff to me.
I placed my order with Midwest last Friday,& as of now it's still processing. Damn,I wanted to bottle & clean up after one of my two IPA's Friday,& brew my Whiskely this Saturday.:mad:

Haven't had enough time to do a proper brew for some time, so I am doing a 1-gallon steeped grain and extract IPA with Centennial, Amarillo and Citra. If it turns out good, I will try an all-grain full sized batch. I really hope it turns out, since I just purchased 1 lb. each of those hops...

Well,midwest sent out my order last Monday night,didn't get the tracking number till last night. It'll be here today! So Saturday morning I'll brew up the PM Traditional stout kit & get the American oak chips & bourbon soaking for the secondary. Glad my plans can stay on track to bottle my Cougar Country IPA as well Friday to open up a fermenter for Saturday.

I'm going to brew my first recipe that was derived from the various coconut stout recipes found around here. With a couple slight variations, it should be a toasted coconut sweet stout. I may go pick up ingredients to do a couple 1 gallon brews if I can come up with wacky ideas before then. If not, I'm going to try out a recipe I was screwing with in this post. It seemed like it could actually be good.

I'm mashing right now. It's a light colored (11 SRM) American Pale Ale grain bill, using Tettnanger hops (30 IBU) and racking to a Belgian yeast cake (Wyeast Forbidden Fruit). It should be interesting.

Seeing as I just ran out of two beers, and in danger of running out of two others, my line of experimental new brews will be coming to an end this weekend. I will be rebrewing my saison and my Saison pale ale(APA w/3711).

Just walked outside to pick up my son from job #1 about 2:50pm,& the UPS man shows up. Came back to my 2lb jars of PBW & my PM Traditional stout kit. The fun part is,they gave me duplicate batches of the grains. Too bad they were crushed. Musta forgot to tell'em not to. Now,do I brew 2 batches of my Whiskely,or one batch of Whiskely & a batch of brown ale or porter? Decisions,decisions...

I've got two options for brewing this weekend...

Option 1: Pumpkin Ale #2
Option 2: New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red Clone #1 (Collaboration with local home brew shop)

Benefits and downsides: I have all the ingredients for both. However I don't have the fermentation space for both. (currently have about 17 gallons of cider going). New Glarus Clone is going to require 1 year in primary and 1 year in secondary... So I kinda want that to get underway sooner so I can try it sooner.

Oh and a buddy of mine is going to want to do an IPA to have on tap at my place soon... I think I need more carboys...

I've got two options for brewing this weekend...

Option 1: Pumpkin Ale #2
Option 2: New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red Clone #1 (Collaboration with local home brew shop)

Benefits and downsides: I have all the ingredients for both. However I don't have the fermentation space for both. (currently have about 17 gallons of cider going). New Glarus Clone is going to require 1 year in primary and 1 year in secondary... So I kinda want that to get underway sooner so I can try it sooner.

Oh and a buddy of mine is going to want to do an IPA to have on tap at my place soon... I think I need more carboys...

my vote is the NG!

Hopefully I can get a couple rooms of painting done on Friday, brew up 10 gal of cream ale and smoke some meat Saturday. I only have maybe 5 gallons left total in my keezer. The Breakfast stout is resting for another week and will not be touched without the consent/help of my cousin who helped me brew it. Luckily she lives a couple doors down and will be by to help drink it often.

I'm brewing an all-grain Left Hand Milk Stout clone and an all-grain Ordinary Bitter...made up recipe for a "session ale" that I used leftover ingredients for. Both are 10 gallon batches.

Gonna try to brew this weekend. If I'm lucky I'll get six gallons of 80 shilling into the carboy. If I'm not lucky it'll rain again... maybe I'll drop by the LHBS for some extract supplies I can brew with inside on the kitchen range. :(

Going to brew 2 sunday. Still trying to figure it out so I can get the supplies today and start my starters. Thinking Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Also considering a Belgian Double....but not sure yet. So many choices and only so much space and time!

Yesterday I transferred a vienna lager to keg so the fermenter is open. I picked up all the grain to make my big blonde. At 6.8% abv and very tasty its always a hit with the buds, keg doesnt last long . ;)

Trying to brew both days. West coast iPa and hop juice. Hoping to have 4 cases bottled and the. All 4 carboys working.

Does today count as the weekend. if so I'm brewing a wee heavy just started the mash about ten minutes ago.:ban::drunk:

Gunna boil some water & weigh out some dextrose to make the priming solution for my Cougar Country IPA in a bit. Need to open up a fermenter for a PM Traditional Stout tomorrow morning. Gunna wash the US-05 yeast today to save for a starter for my Snowbound vanilla porter after the other fermenter opens up. Got a Italian spigot for it to replace the too stiff barrel tap on it now.

Back