So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Porter in the tail end of primary at the moment; planning on adding 2 oz. liquid vanilla extract to it this weekend. I hope that 2-oz vanilla will not overpower 5gal batch. I'm looking for a moderate vanilla flavor. Has anyone here used vanilla extract as a flavoring addition to secondary ? If so, how much did you use?

Best Regards,

PS: New to the forum and to brewing.

Two batches on deck (may not get both done this weekend):

- All grain vanilla porter w/ Northern Brewer and Fuggles (3 gallons)
- Partial mash rye IPA w/ Chinook and Tettnang (first wort)

dbj1515 said:
I have a Porter in the tail end of primary at the moment; planning on adding 2 oz. liquid vanilla extract to it this weekend. I hope that 2-oz vanilla will not overpower 5gal batch. I'm looking for a moderate vanilla flavor. Has anyone here used vanilla extract as a flavoring addition to secondary ? If so, how much did you use?

Best Regards,

PS: New to the forum and to brewing.

I used vanilla extract in my spiced winter lager - I used 4oz real vanilla extract in secondary, was not too much.
I think 2oz may not be enough for your porter, but let it sit in secondary and taste it after a couple weeks, and adjust as you see fit - you can always add more at bottling, you cant take it back out. Start with the 2oz - my winter lager was 6.9%abv IIRC, so may have been bigger than your porter is going to be.

I was going to make an amber rye this weekend, but I'm getting sick, so that may have to wait a bit. :(

19 gallons of IPA Wort just beginning to boil.

19GallonsIPAwort.jpg

I've added 1 oz. of Warrior first wort hops, and I'm going to do the rest all late. More Warrior at 20 min, then Centennial at 15 and 5.

doing a dead guy clone tomorrow. Got the pacman starter going. I just got a new grain mill so I'm expecting better conversion. I crushed my grains and they look nothing like what I've been buying 'pre-crushed'. I'm hoping this will help my beer.

doing a dead guy clone tomorrow. Got the pacman starter going. I just got a new grain mill so I'm expecting better conversion. I crushed my grains and they look nothing like what I've been buying 'pre-crushed'. I'm hoping this will help my beer.

My eff. Went up ten points when my awesome wife bought me a mill for no reason. Never broke 70 with precrushed grains and now I average the upper 70's

Chilling my imperial winter ale as we speak. Friday nights have become brew nights these days. Pretty sad what you look forward to when you spend your days chasing a two year old around the house. Getting a little bit brisk for brewing this time of year though. Think I'll throw in the towel when the hose starts freezing.

Sitting in my garage brewing my second batch ever(first still fermenting), drinking a decent store bought beer (can't wait to have some home brew to drink instead). Shaping up to be a good weekend!

Okay first off it's cold, I'm not quite sure that the trade off between quicker boil time and freezing my ass off is worth using my turkey fryer over my stove for a partial boil.

Next thing my garage is on an alley directly across from a bar. Not the best area of town, but i've met some intresting people tonight who come over wondering what i'm "cooking".

Last thing I bought some random beers from the store tonight (still waiting on first batch to ferment so no home brew available) and the german beer Spaten Optimator a Dopplebock was crazy fruity tasted like a banana runt, good thing I had a few before hand.

If my oatmeal stout is finished and I can keg it out of my conical I'll do a 10 gallon batch of Belgian strong dark, along the lines of a Chimay Gran Reserve. I've been working on the starter for 2 weeks now, I have 1/2 inch of slurry in a 2L flask. I'll refresh the wort tonight so that tomorrow it's roaring when I'm ready to pitch it.

AHS Sierra Nevada Celebration mini mash clone. Also picked up a 12 pack of Celebration this am at Target.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

image-3474028611.jpg

I used vanilla extract in my spiced winter lager - I used 4oz real vanilla extract in secondary, was not too much.
I think 2oz may not be enough for your porter, but let it sit in secondary and taste it after a couple weeks, and adjust as you see fit - you can always add more at bottling, you cant take it back out. Start with the 2oz - my winter lager was 6.9%abv IIRC, so may have been bigger than your porter is going to be.

Ahh, ok. Sound advice, I'll go with the 2oz for now and add more if I need it in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

I just started my very first brew yesterday its a batch of Apfelwein I cant wait to see how it comes out. My next batch will be beer either an IPA or Porter

Looks like I'll be bottling my Burton ale tomorrow,as it's spent a week at FG 1.018. & that's after rousing it from 1.020 a couple weeks ago. Should be great by Christmas.

What a weekend. My Dubbel is ready to drink, I just bottled a Berlin Wheat partial mash, and now I'm brewing a partial Trappist Ale. God, I so love this hobby...oh yeah, and weekends when SWMBO is off scrapbooking! I'm also sampling an Ambergeddon, an amber ale brewed by the Ale Asylum out of Madison, WI. They also brew Bedlam ale which is all Citra hops. Outstanding! My next clone!:tank:

Working up a batch of Cherry Wheat featuring this years Flathead Montana Cherries! I then have to wait and compare it to the cherry wheat using Door County Wisconsin Cherries. I predict this to be a tough call...

did a cranberry apple cider..cranberries came fresh from the bogs and watched them press the cider can't wait....

punkrockdave said:
Brewed my first all grain batch, came as a kit, pre measured ingredients. It is an OPS, a b-day gift. Only a gallon of beer, but was a good test to see how it goes.

That was an IPA, man I hate spell check on my phone.

Latest posts

Back