So what did I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StunnedMonkey

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed my first batch of beer in several years, and first all-grain beer ever. I actually didn't follow a recipe (doh!) or attempt to brew a specific style, but just sort of used a basic combination of ingredients on hand at the LHBS. My wife just asked me what I brewed, and beyond "beer", I'm not sure what to say.

Here's what I used:

10# American 2-row pale malt
1# crystal malt (60)
.75 Perle Hops (8.2) 60 minutes
.75 Perle Hops (8.2) 30 minutes
.5 Kent Goldings (4.5) 10 minutes
.5 Kent Goldings (4.5) 2 minutes
1 tsp irish moss 15 minutes
White Labs English Ale (002) from 1 qt starter

OG was 1.060 (only got 4.5 gallons to fermenter)
ProMash says IBU's should be 52.6
BeerSmith say IBU's should be 45.6

I think the gravity, color, bitterness, and yeast choice points to an ESB. But the American Pale malt seems wrong for an ESB. So I dunno what it is.

The wife is demanding a name for this brew. What style does this look like it should be?

And does it look like it'll suck?

It's right about an ESB, especially with the English yeast. Actually, for the gravity and bittering, it's closer to a traditional English IPA.

ESB is an English brand and an American style.

With the mix of American malt, multi-national hops, and English yeast, how about LIMA (Lost in Mid Atlantic) ESB.

FWIW, I brewed almost the same beer today, but the malt came from England, and the hops from New Zealand and America. I'm saving my EKG's for an upcoming IPA

-a.

Back