So Tomorrow, I Cold Hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, @Fedora is out, but that's okay. We have a big tent, and there is a role for everyone. For the next 10 years, when we say "cold hop," we need someone to say, "It's called dry hop, dork."

The payoff comes a couple decades from now, when we need someone to say "dry hop," so we can give them the ole, "Dude, nobody says that anymore. It's cold hop." Can't wait.

Sometimes I'm distracted by unimportant stuff, and I have been neglecting the cold hop revolution. Sorry about that.

As an alternative, how about "slow hop?" "Slow" is sometimes advertised as a positive attribute for products. Slow churned ice cream. Slow roasted pig parts. Slow-brained HBT post. (Couldn't think of a third.) Anyhow... cold hops do their work slowly vs. BK hops, so how about slow hopped?

Personally, I don't like slow hop as well as cold hop, but maybe it would grow on me.

At this point, I think the best strategy is to use whatever term you prefer for cold hopping, other than dry hop. Then we can see what sticks.

I had to explain dry hopping again today. Every time I explain what it is, I say, yeah, I know, it really should be called "cold hopping."

I think we can change the name. I think we should. I think it is our duty, and we must.

You may resist based on a sense of tradition. Tradition. That's why we have the stupid QWERTY keyboard, you know, because it makes people type SLOW enough that manual typewriters don't jam. And that's why we have U.S. customary units of measure. And that's why we have a calendar that can't easily be memorized from month to month and year to year. (Ask about my idea for an improved calendar, if interested... but I won't hold my breath.)

There is probably some ancient dude laughing his a$$ off that he got drunk and accidentally coined the term "dry hopping" by mistake, and now a bunch of sheep just keep saying it, as if it makes sense. Okay, maybe that dude is dead by now, but...

So tomorrow, I cold hop.

Untitled-1.jpg

Count me in on the cold hop revolution! In fact, I'm cold hopping an APA (that kind've turned into an IPA when I put the 10 minute hops in at 60 minutes, oops) right now.

It took several explanations before I understood dry hopping when I started brewing. NOTHING IN THE PROCESS IS DRY, FOLKS! (except the outside of the bucket, I guess)

It's true that dry hopping is a misnomer but cold hopping is equally so. We cool hop, warm hop, and room temp hop but cold hopping just doesn't work. The hop oils won't disperse properly in cold beer. That's why even when we keg hop we leave the hops in at warmer temps for a couple days before chilling the keg.

To convince me you'll have to come up with a term that is a better descriptor of the technique that rolls off the tongue as easily or easier than dry hop. Cold hopping ain't it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion

Well, what was it? What beer? What hops? When you say "cold" hopped, I assume you dumped them in from the freezer?

Cascade and Centennial in 'Redrum- A murderous Red Rye Ale'. Hope it turns out as much as I love the name.
And, but of course (say it with a snobby French accent) the hops went directly from freezer to bucket.

Ok. From the article:

"There is currently no accepted theoretical model that would allow cold fusion to occur."

Whut's your point?

hah my point was just that the word "cold" is relative.

In the case of "cold fusion-" the fusion happens at ~room temp, and sometimes considerably warmer.

In this case; room temp is "cold," so the term "cold hopping" couldn't be discounted purely because "room temp" can't be considered cold.

Personally i couldn't care less about changing the term dry-hopping; yeah it doesn't really make sense which imo makes it take a little more effort to learn about (which I think is a good thing, people should spend more time learning).

Does "Cold hopping" make more sense for the action than "dry hopping?" Perhaps. But when it comes to science(which brewing is) there are countless outdated terms which are firmly in place that don't make sense with what we know today.

Oxidization for example often has nothing to do with oxygen. It has to do with the loss of electrons by molecules, atoms or ions with ionic bonds. ("Reduction" is the exact opposite. When particles gain electrons; which is even more confusing).

I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you- just pointing out that "cold" is relative.

I'm also pointing out that the term "dry hop" might not make perfect sense. But we might as well deal with it. If we wanna go around naming things then we should probably invent new things to name :D

Did you post hop prior to packagin? I would think this is just a later pre-hop addition near the end.

This was a double cold hop, so it required post hopping following removal of pre-existing cold hops. I just don't get the aroma I want from pre-hop hot hops near the end, post boil.

Back