so SWMBO's best friend is getting married...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And I've been asked to provide the non-hard alcohol. His wedding is at the end of the summer and he's requested a keg of Edwort's Apfelwein, a keg of something light, and a keg of something dark. SWMBO said I can get whatever I need to make that happen.

My current equipment includes 2 6.5 gal carboys, a 5 gal carboy, and four cornies.

The way I see it, I will need at least one more of each carboys so I can brew the three batches without my own pipeline being interrupted. I will also need three more cornies because I will not have three available kegs for the wedding since I never have three available kegs for my four tap keezer.

I'm going to attempt to justify building a jockey box, but that may be pushing my luck ;-)

Buy cornies and equipment, then say the brew is your wedding gift. Throw in a card. Get everyone toasted at the reception and load up the empty cornies when you leave. Say you'll brew up a batch for the one year annyversary

And I've been asked to provide the non-hard alcohol. His wedding is at the end of the summer and he's requested a keg of Edwort's Apfelwein, a keg of something light, and a keg of something dark. SWMBO said I can get whatever I need to make that happen.

My current equipment includes 2 6.5 gal carboys, a 5 gal carboy, and four cornies.

The way I see it, I will need at least one more of each carboys so I can brew the three batches without my own pipeline being interrupted. I will also need three more cornies because I will not have three available kegs for the wedding since I never have three available kegs for my four tap keezer.

I'm going to attempt to justify building a jockey box, but that may be pushing my luck ;-)

Sounds like a ton of fun! If it was me and the target audience is BMC types I'd probably err on the lighter side of dark going with a nice IPA or a Brown Ale. I know at my wedding I purchased two quarter barrel kegs from the local microbrew, American Wheat & IPA and the Wheat keg was hit pretty hard, while the IPA was barely touched.

Checkout beirmunchers rolling garbage can kegerator. Should be able to find one that will fit 3 cornies and a small co2 tank.

Your wife gave you free reign to make beer for her friends wedding? And you need to ask what to buy? You need 3 beers, so you buy 3 new primary fermentors, 3 secondary fermentors, a 3 tap kegging setup, A 3 tap jockey box, a 20 lb co2 tank, and anything else you can use in the future. Your wife Is giving you carte blanche.....take advantage.....duuuh.

Oh...the brew IS our wedding gift and that's by their request. He and his fiance have drank plenty of my beer in the past and they both agreed that's what they wanted from us.

He brews, too, but not very often. Years ago, he used to brew a lot. He's slowly getting back into it. A few months ago they came to our annual cheese and wine party. I had just kegged te Apfelwein. When Jay tried it, he asked if it was Edwort's. At the time, he was about a week from bottling.

So, yes, this seems to be an excellent opportunity to acquire new equipment while giving a wedding gift.

I would definitely push to build beirmunchers garbage can/kegerator. If you roll into a wedding reception with that......?! I picture your swmbo will be quite proud by the end of the night.

I also agree to stay on the lighter side with your selections.

Oh...and this will not be a BMC crowd at the wedding. Lots of rock climbers and beer snobs. I'm slightly nervous. All I do is extract and I've only got about ten batches or so under my belt. A couple haven't turned out. One had a horrible off-flavor I couldn't put my finger on (I believe it was in primary too long) and the other was a coffee porter that tasted like porter-flavored coffee.

I think I'll go with NB's Carribou Slobber for the lighter, but the dark beer, I'm not sure about, yet.

The Caribou Slobber is too dark IMHO. Go with lighter styles, hopped accordingly for the event. Wit, Hefe, IPA, Kolsch, etc. The eyes are the initial attraction for any newb craft beer drinker. Unless they are not from the US, go with this.

Oh...and this will not be a BMC crowd at the wedding. Lots of rock climbers and beer snobs. I'm slightly nervous. All I do is extract and I've only got about ten batches or so under my belt. A couple haven't turned out. One had a horrible off-flavor I couldn't put my finger on (I believe it was in primary too long) and the other was a coffee porter that tasted like porter-flavored coffee.

I think I'll go with NB's Carribou Slobber for the lighter, but the dark beer, I'm not sure about, yet.

Dont worry about "beer snobs" not liking your beer. If those rock climbing hippies aren't homebrewers they won't be able to tell the difference between an IPA and APA that fermented hot. I was a heavy climber during the late 90's and early 2000's and I know the crowd. Trust me, they will love anything that doesn't put money in "big business's" pocket.
-Jefe-

If you're counting on 3 batches, and you question your brews at all, do at least 4. The peace of mind will be well worth it, plus you can always drink the results.
It also gives you more options if they all turn out good- pick the ones that turned out best!

That's my plan. I typically brew about once a month. I'm gonna try to brew a batch a week for the next 4-5 weeks and the best two will go to the wedding. The rest will go into boosting my pipeline that's gotten a little slim, lately.

We really like the Apfelwein, so I'd like to have a dedicated tap for Apfelwein. I'm gonna get two batches going this weekend...one for the wedding and one for the keezer....

So i take it that

A) It's a SMALL wedding
B) Not a big drinking crowd.
C) Short reception...

Just saying, a half barrel for a wedding, is not alot of beer. With my crowd, that would be kicked a half hour into the reception.

Carribou Slobber for the lighter?? You realize that's a sweet Brown Ale?

I think if you're "only doing extract" and have had a coupe batches that come out bad with out any known issue why, I'd politely decline. If you decide to tackle this anyway, Get temp control for your fermentation, and nix the idea of Apfelwein with only a few months. It's worth a taste a 4 months, worth a couple bottles at 6-8 and best at 1 year.

Are they actual beer enthusiasts or self proclaimed beer snobs? A real beer enthusiast would appreciate Beirmuncher's Centennial Blonde in the summer, whereas a DB snob would turn up his nose at a "Fizzy Yellow Beer".

Good luck. :mug:

So i take it that

A) It's a SMALL wedding
C) Short reception...

Just saying, a half barrel for a wedding, is not alot of beer. With my crowd, that would be kicked a half hour into the reception.

This. My friends and guests kicked the first keg of Miller Lite while the wedding party was still taking picture after the ceremony. They tapped teh second keg as I was going for my first beer.

So i take it that

A) It's a SMALL wedding
C) Short reception...

That was my thought.....5 gallons is ~54 beers so that means ~108 glasses of beer and ~54 of Apfelwein.

They're catering a full service bar with wine and hard liquors. I'm just providing 15 gallons of homebrew. KY laws are stupid so there's a lot of craft brew that's not available, here. One friend is bring a few various cases of New Belgium from Chicago and another is bringing a few cases New Glarus from WI.

Beer snob isn't quite right. Conniseur would be more accurate. Lots of well travelled beer lovers.

The wedding is late August. I think the Apfelwein will be fine, by then. I'm throwing it together, this weekend.

I'll look into Biermuncher's recipe...

Don't get me wrong, I"m not knocking the idea. I just think you don't have nearly enough planned for consumption. A member of my homebrew club has brewed the wedding favors for each of his kids weddings now (3 down, one to go for him). Each person gets 2 beers, and they were not overly large weddings. SOmething on the order of 80-100 people. He brewed 5 gal batch every other week for a year, and had just enough.

Now I understand not everyone is going to drink beer. I get that, but I think you're way short on your three cornies. Unless what I have already stated is true. If what I have stated isn't true (a decent sized wedding list, drink moderatly to heavy, and a typical 4-5 hr reception), you would likely need more carboys, and alot more cooperage (unless you're planning to bottle some). Look at it this way, if you don't drink all of the kegs, you have a pipeline built up.

Personally, I'd be all about trying to step up to at least 10 gal batches (you say SWMBO has given carte blanche, take her up on it!!). Otherwise, you'll be brewing the same thing all the time. My buddy couldn't wait until he could brew for himself again. Just something to think about.

Other thing to think about, people tend to go overboard at weddings. What you would normally consume on a friday night can often times be doubled/trippled at a wedding.

Honestly, your best bet is to contact the caterer for the rest of the wine/liqour. Ask them, based on the wedding list, how much beer they would normally go through. I'm sure they have enough data on hand to know, otherwise they'd be a piss poor caterer. That should give you an idea, on average how much you'd need to have on hand (between your homebrew and your buddies fat tire).

Hey man, I say go for it.

Just do a test batch of a tried and true recipe. Maybe brew 1 or 2 contingency batches for your own pipeline. If something goes wrong, then you have a back up plan.

Instead of apfelwein I would go with something a little quicker like Brandon O's Graff.

People are used to drinking crap beer at weddings, so something different and homebrewed would be exciting. Even if its not your best batch people who aren't in the know will be impressed and will think its a cool idea.

If it were me I would go with a cream ale or blonde ale, ipa, brown ale, graff/cider, and a IIPA hidden under the table for me.

So what do you have in mind for a light beer? Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde? Cream Ale? APA?

Not sure about a dark beer. Moose Drool clone is not a bad idea IMO.

He'll, I'd even consider bottling a few beers off your taps of stuff like Stout and IPA. In case there were a few people bold enough to ask if you have any! You'd be the KING if you reached under the table and pulled out that kind of stuff!

If it was me brewing for a wedding (of any size larger than 40 people), I'd bring my 4 tap system with all 4 full, and at least 3 on standby, carbonate ready to go.

Taps would be

Tap 1: Apfelwein with backup
Tap 2: Chocolate or Coffee Stout or Porter, for the true beer appreciative
Tap 3: APA or IPA. No IIIIPA stuff, With back up, back up can be different, but same style.
Tap 4: Wheat, Kolsch, Cream Ale. Lighter easy drinker. With Back up, same beer.

You may want a back up stout as well, or do something funky like an English Bitter just for grins. Keep a party tap on hand if someone asks about the standbys if they are different.

I brewed for an anniversary party, 35 people. pretty much drained 3 kegs, and it was only for 2.5 hours. However, I was surprised more people commented on my Left Hand Brew Milk Stout Clone and drank more of it than the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone I had. And I thought it was going to be a BMC crowd. Some people stuck with the BL I brought as back up, but a lot of cups were poured of Stout.

BTW, when you bring a setup like that to a party, you become a hero and local legend. Get to brewing. Key to good batches will be keep your stuff clean and sanitized. Start early and let them age.

Primary in large buckets, makes it easy and is cheaper starting out. Your price killer is going to be getting extra kegs.

Back