So sometimes you do something so stupid...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bottling an oatmeal vanilla stout last night with a buddy, we decided to bottle half and keg the other half.
So I got it racked to the keg and throw it on the co2 to purge out the air.
So i'm just chattin it up with my buddy goin about my business, keep in mind this corny doesnt have the relief valve on the lid so I have to pull the co2 disconnect off and push in the valve on the post to purge it.
Well I pull it off and i get distracted by something, grab a pen and go to push in the valve and WAMMMMMMM!!! Beer blasts all over my face, ceiling, walls.
I had pushed the valve on the beer post instead of co2. :cross:
Please tell me someone else has done this before. :)

I use the pressure relief valve. But, I have popped the picnic faucet and hose onto the beer post only to find that I forgot to close the tap when I let it hang dry. Thus my suggestion to anyone who wants to listen: keep the picnic tap closed when stored.

Brent

I have done that before. Don't worry. I've also been counter pressure filling some bottles with BierMuncher's Bottle Filler (BMBF) and had the racking cane slip out of the picnic tap and squirt me in the face.

I use the pressure relief valve. But, I have popped the picnic faucet and hose onto the beer post only to find that I forgot to close the tap when I let it hang dry. Thus my suggestion to anyone who wants to listen: keep the picnic tap closed when stored.

Brent

How do you accidentally leave a picnic tap opened? They're spring loaded to close :drunk:

PicnicTap.JPG

Bottling an oatmeal vanilla stout last night with a buddy, we decided to bottle half and keg the other half.
So I got it racked to the keg and throw it on the co2 to purge out the air.
So i'm just chattin it up with my buddy goin about my business, keep in mind this corny doesnt have the relief valve on the lid so I have to pull the co2 disconnect off and push in the valve on the post to purge it.
Well I pull it off and i get distracted by something, grab a pen and go to push in the valve and WAMMMMMMM!!! Beer blasts all over my face, ceiling, walls.
I had pushed the valve on the beer post instead of co2. :cross:
Please tell me someone else has done this before. :)
I've never done anything that stupid. Well, maybe 6 or 10 times over the years:mug:
But I'll never do it again.
Just like I've never left the ball valve on the kettle open while I sparge or forgotten to close the picnic faucet BEFORE I connect it to the keg.

haha no never done that. I've never seen a keg without a pressure relief valve. It's a pretty standard safety feature. What kind of keg do you have?

Must be a converted ball lock or a pin lock? Most of these have the "once and done" style pressure releive valves. Basically a seal that ruptures above a certain pressure, unlike the ring style Pepsi ones that are reset by releasing the valve.

Doesn't sound like fun. I had a primary blow the cover off, giving me "trub art" all over the walls and flooring though. We all have been there.

Back