So...My kegs are frozen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisjrp4

Reaction score
I just went to pour a beer and got nothing out of the tap. Fearing an empty CO2 tank I opened my fridge and found my two kegs frozen solid. I have had my kegerator for over two years set at the same temperature, and have never gotten below 40 degrees, but somehow since I poured last two days ago the kegs are frozen solid. What is weird is that I have a few bottles in the fridge and although they are a bit slushy, they are still liquid. The kegs are like rocks and when I shake them I hear no liquid splashing at all.

Has this happened to anyone? Is my beer going to be OK?

Time to make icebeer!

I wouldnt see why they wouldnt taste fine after defrosting and a few days/weeks to let the carbonation equalize again.

the kegs are right under the blower. sounds like you may have a temp sensor out. the beers should be better as icebocks, anyway :)

I was pouring homebrew with my club on Saturday at a local beer fest, and I got blasted. Sunday was not a good day, and I felt Monday would be a good grace period.

It is a Sanyo mini fridge that I converted. I never touched the thermometer in 2 years. I guess it could be bad? I did have it turned up all the way.

My kegs froze up as well at some point. Just let the beer defrost, disconnect from the gas, shake up a bit to let the frozen water get back into the beer, reconnect and you can drink them again. With the shaking, the yeast likely will be resuspended again but you will definitely have good beer.

Back