So my brother in law is making a homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crondog

Reaction score
My brother-in-law is making a homebrew but there is a thick foam at the top that smells kind of funny is there any reason that should happen

image-1099181751.jpg

Kind of looks like an infection. It smells off? How so? How does it taste?

...is there any reason that should happen

Because your yeast is furiously reproducing, consuming sugars, and exuding carbon dioxide, which results in a foamy slurry of yeast cells and CO2 bubbles called "krausen".

Unless you saw krausen form, then drop, then saw a second layer of gunk/bubbles form at least a couple weeks in, your beer is doing exactly what it's supposed to. It's not infected yet... but it will be if you keep popping the top to look at it!

Seriously, unless your fermentation doesn't start after 48-72 hours, that lid should stay closed for at least two weeks while the yeasties do their work.

feinbera said:
Because your yeast is furiously reproducing, consuming sugars, and exuding carbon dioxide, which results in a foamy slurry of yeast cells and CO2 bubbles called "krausen". Unless you saw krausen form, then drop, then saw a second layer of gunk/bubbles form at least a couple weeks in, your beer is doing exactly what it's supposed to. It's not infected yet... but it will be if you keep popping the top to look at it! Seriously, unless your fermentation doesn't start after 48-72 hours, that lid should stay closed for at least two weeks while the yeasties do their work.
thanks for the info will pass it on

Ah, I was thinking this was your finished product. Follow feinbera's advice.

Back