So let's start a discussion of Brew Boss vs. High Gravity systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beavdowg

Reaction score
These are two systems that interest me. I don't have the skills or tools to complete a build of my own electrical system but I know I want to transition to electric brewing. I've been brewing since the mid nineties and all-graining for the last 5 years but am pretty convinced that moving to BIAB is best for me. I'm mostly intrigued by the time savings and simplicity of the process. I've got young kids and taking 5-6 hours to brew is wearing thin on the family and frankly, on me too.

Anyway, I've checked out both systems and would love some constructive discussion on the two systems, pros & cons, opinions, experiences with each, etc.

I'll start out. I think the automation of the BB (Brew Boss) is intriguing, however, I also like to be able to manually control things when I want to. I do want to feel like I'm actually brewing not just pushing a button and out pours beer. Are there limitations to having so much automation? Can you control how much is automated vs how much is manually controlled?

Is there any downside to not having the "infinite" boil control that the HG (High Gravity) system has with the dial vs. what I assume is a percentage power control with the BB system?

:mug:

I don't have any experience with either system in a brew process other than hands on with both systems and the electric BrewEasy at NHC2014, but that's never stopped anyone from commenting before.

The potentiometer on the High Gravity system allows you to turn down element power after boil. The BrewBoss system uses a boil set point of 220 to reach and maintain the boil.

Really, both systems achieve the same thing by different means. It will come down to how the user wants to interact with the process. Would you rather have the software system of the Brew Boss control everything for you or would you rather be making the changes yourself?

but it is through the electronics interface. My first brew on the Brew Boss I did all manual. I turned the coils on and off and adjusted the power levels as well as the pump all through the tablet interface. So it can do as the High Gavity system can. Question is are you more comfortable or feel better with a physical knob and button or is a touch interface just as good. One upside for me witht he Brew Boss is I can look at the brew logs, and after crafting a recipe I can program it in for repeatability. I'm still in control, and can make minor adjustments as needed (wanted) but I can also let it ride and spend more time with my son and wife if I want.

Back