So I'm thinking of building an aeration wand...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also integrate O2 into a CFC.
o2_setup.jpg

customizing is certianly not an issue for me. I need to get a look at these O2 bottles and their regulators and I can probably make just about anything... Bobby- if you give me more details of what you want, I can whip em up like mad... 4 hydraulic engineers can build just about anything... They also work for beer...

Nope, there's no cheaper source out there. I think the last time I checked, williamsbrewing had the best deal. I found one still attached to a red tank at the recycling yard. It was a one in a million shot and I got lucky so I don't really need one. I'm just thinking outside the box for the countless brewers looking for a sub $20 solution to getting O2 from a tank to a hose.

I guess the first issue would be figuring out what threads those bottles use. If you can machine even a simple block of steel that threads on and has a center pin to hit the built in valve, you can get O2 into the block. From there a simple 1/4" NPT tap is fine. Thread in a needle valve with a hose barb on the other end and we're oxygenating....

Machining a block with a male thread would be very expensive... I don't think it would be cost effective... I'm going to my local hardware store to check out what they have...

NoClueBrewMaster said:
Machining a block with a male thread would be very expensive... I don't think it would be cost effective... I'm going to my local hardware store to check out what they have...
Not only that, but it would also need a hollow needle to open the stop on the cylinder and allow flow.

Now that I got everything, I can give an honest break-down of the cost.

$35.49 Oxygen regulator (including shipping)
$12.95 2 micron carb stone
$0.63 7B Oxygen hose nut
$0.63 1/4" Oxygen hose barb
$1.99 (est) 10' of 1/4" hose (I forget exactly how much it was, but it was under $3)
$10 (est) Oxygen cylinder
--------
$61.69

So that's about $50 + the cost of the oxygen cylinder--Not that much cheaper than just buying one of the kits from a retailer, really. I will probably use a corny dip tube for the "wand" or tie a fishing weight to the stone. :D

For those building adapters for regulators, please keep in mind that one of the reasons CGA specifications for regulators include weird threading for Oxygen and other gases is to prevent connecting the wrong kind of regulator. Oxygen is funny stuff, and at high pressure, reacts VERY powerfully with seemingly inert materials like grease and Aluminum.

Sp please, if you're going to fool with it, go slow, and make sure you REALLY know what you're doing. An aluminum adapter with a coating of cutting oil on it on the high-pressure side of an Oxygen bottle is a recipe for a big, huge, deadly disaster. Brew safely.

SixFoFalcon said:
Now that I got everything, I can give an honest break-down of the cost.

$35.49 Oxygen regulator (including shipping)
$12.95 2 micron carb stone

I hope it is not too late, but you want a 0.5 micron stone when pushing pure O2, not a 2 micron stone (those are for aeration pumps). The 2 micron stone will work with an O2 tank, but it isn't nearly as efficient/effective as the finer stone because the bubbles will be larger and won't diffuse into the wort as well.

Hi everyone, I have a O2 setup from Williamsbrewing as well. I have been injecting my chilled wort in the carboy for 15 seconds, pausing, then giving it another 15 seconds at about 3/4 volume. I've had good results so far. Does anyone have any better methods? Is this enough time for the O2 to get dissolved?

FlyGuy said:
I hope it is not too late, but you want a 0.5 micron stone when pushing pure O2, not a 2 micron stone (those are for aeration pumps). The 2 micron stone will work with an O2 tank, but it isn't nearly as efficient/effective as the finer stone because the bubbles will be larger and won't diffuse into the wort as well.
In practice it's not a big deal because even the 2 micron size, while not as efficient, will only require a short period of time to oxygenate the wort to optimum levels. And this way I can also use the same stone for aeration if the need arises. The same is true for carbonation--finer is better, but 2 microns will get the job done.

I'm not planning on building my own regulator... From the sites I have looked at, it is FAR cheaper to buy a setup than build the same thing. While I have a full machine shop at my hands along with experienced hydraulic engineers, its not worth the trouble.

A 40 dollar kit works fine for me...

NoClueBrewMaster said:
Does anyone have an option for me that won't lead to 3 pages of argument?I:mug:

What fun would that be?

Yea, Stay home this Saturday night insted of going out, use the cash you saved for one of these.
S78.JPG

In the long run I bet you will be saving money anyhow. I started by shaking, then the pump, hose and stone, now I have the tank and wand. Works much better and I could have saved the cash I paid for the pump and stone set up if I would have done it that way and probably had better beer to boot :D

I wasn't really suggesting anyone could build a reg cheaply. I was just talking about what it would take. I personally have a medical tank that I suspect will be hard to get filled once it empties.

Latest posts

Back