So I say to my manager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fujieagle

Reaction score
My manager today asked about my home brew hobby. He said that he once bought a kit, made it and it turned out horrible. I showed him pics of my Kal inspired rig. He asked how big of a batch I brew. I told him I only make 5 gallon batches and I have 2 batches fermenting right now. I told him I always try to keep 4 5 gallon kegs on tap.. Then he asks, " What the hell do you do with that much beer?" And I reply, " Well I drink it. What else are you gonna do with that much beer?" The look on his face was epic!!!!!:rockin:

Ha! I had lunch with a retiring friend on Friday. I retired first, but still fill in at the hospital, and it was his last day. (He'll fill in, too, but he's the manager of a different department). We see each other only occasionally but really like each other.

While I was sitting there with tears in my eyes, another guy came and sat with us. He's the manager of yet another different department.

My friend said something about beer- and the other guy's eyes lit up and he asked me if I was familiar with IPAs.

I laughed and said that was my favorite style, and probably 75% of my brews were IPAs or hoppy APAs. I guess he didn't even know I brewed, so the conversation went all beer after that!

Funny, as I thought that pretty much everyone knew I was a huge beer geek, but of course I"ve known the first guy for 30 years. The "new guy" has only been around maybe 5(?) years.

What's so great is that even in my little corner of the Beer Wasteland that is the Northwoods, we are getting more and more beer geeks. :rockin:

I think most people overestimate how much 5 gallons actually is, and way underestimate the time it takes to brew a batch. Drinking 5 gallons over two months isn't even a beer a day. Not to mention what your friends drink, etc...

But no matter what you say, it seems all they hear is "5 gallons of beer," then think, "this guy is a drunk!"

I think most people overestimate how much 5 gallons actually is, and way underestimate the time it takes to brew a batch. Drinking 5 gallons over two months isn't even a beer a day. Not to mention what your friends drink, etc...

But no matter what you say, it seems all they hear is "5 gallons of beer," then think, "this guy is a drunk!"

Yeah, but if you're like me you always have at least two and up to five five gallon batches going at any one time. Makes for plenty of beer to be a drunkard. :mug::drunk:

this whole statement.

I think I over estimated how much 5 gals was. I've gotten anywhere from 37 - 46 12oz bottles from each batch I've brewed. Giving away on average 4 12 oz bottles to 5 people really cuts into the stash. I don't mind at all. I wasn't intending to brew just for me anyway. I'm an over-sharer.

I'm guessing you're going to take him some?

But some beers are dear & others love free beer,home made or no. I had four batches last me all summer,3 5G & 1 6G. All gone now,I'm hoping the FG will be stable on my Cougar Country IPA to dry hop it today with 4 7oz packets left over from the boil in the freezer. 2nd batch of Maori IPA with fresher hops gets it's first FG test today.
The guys that were doing my lawn care started bringin sons in law,sons,etc with them to drink some of my beers after the job was done. It was hot out,they did a good job,& I have no one to drink with anymore. Damn diabetes stopped my wife in her tracks. And she turned into a pretty good lil brewer too...

Sounds like mi BIL's family down in terrehaut. If you ain't got a half barrel keg,GTFO. and at least a case of Pabst for brunch.

I get that a lot too. Five gallons seems like excess to a lot of people. Telling them it's 2 cases makes it worse in their eyes. They think that's an inordinate amount of beer to keep around.

Next time someone asks, tell them "Just a big enough batch to last me a couple weeks, then I'll brew another."

I get that a lot too. Five gallons seems like excess to a lot of people. Telling them it's 2 cases makes it worse in their eyes. They think that's an inordinate amount of beer to keep around.

Next time someone asks, tell them "Just a big enough batch to last me a couple weeks, then I'll brew another."

I was thinking this morning how I could really do with a beer when I get home, but even though I have 45 litres of beer at home I don't have any to drink. 15+15 litres conditioning for a work Oktoberfest party and 15 litre waiting for the other 2 to be transfered into clean cornies so I can transport them to the party.
45 litres of beer and not a drop to drink :( but if I told someone I had 45 litres of beer at home they would not believe me!

Latest posts

Back