So I made a mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

val214

Reaction score
So, I made a mash paddle. I got tired of my plastic spoon bending and flexing like crazy while I poured my grains into my mash tun. I looked for online ideas and direction. I did fall in love and thought about ordering one from wild ones carving. I decided not to since my father in law left behind a garage full of wood working tools. I bought a piece of maple at Home Depot and the project began. By no means is this a great job or a perfect paddle. I was just bored and both of my fermenters were full. Yes, I only have two fermenters. Ere are some pictures of the paddle project. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390358611.354355.jpgpattern outline. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390358648.770164.jpgtraces pattern. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390358674.637487.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390358687.270020.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390358706.070114.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390358820.520229.jpg

That's sweeeeeet!! I have a piece of Oak that I want to make into a paddle, but I can't say it will look as sweeeeeet when I'm done with it. Can't wait to see the finish product!

Thank you guys. I got that pattern from online google Celtic band. There are two that will automatically pop up. I thought about using oak since it is a softer wood. I chose maple because all blogs and post seemed to like the harder maple wood.

Here is another pic with the handle portion cut out. I am almost done just need to carve out some more details and sand it. Since I used a router to gauge out the centers there are a few rough areas. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390425017.770116.jpg

This is awesome. Inspires me to make my own paddle

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

That is so awesome. I cannot imagine doing that design, the inside bits, with my router. Best I've done is my first mash paddle and it was a bit rough.

Back