Mash Paddle from Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Asian species" may be on point as that paddle is made in China.
As for poplar, it's borderline imo. It wouldn't be my choice - which is hard maple. Poplar is typically much softer and comparatively porous.
It also reeks when freshly cut.

To be honest, I'd pass...

Cheers!

I don't use a traditional mash paddle. I have a 24" stainless steel whisk for breaking up dough balls when doughing in, and I use a large stainless spoon to stir the mash when needed. Maybe it's because my batches are never larger than 5.5 gallons, but I've never understood why wooden mash paddles are so prevalent. Is it just tradition, or is there a reason for it?

I don't use a traditional mash paddle. I have a 24" stainless steel whisk for breaking up dough balls when doughing in, and I use a large stainless spoon to stir the mash when needed. Maybe it's because my batches are never larger than 5.5 gallons, but I've never understood why wooden mash paddles are so prevalent. Is it just tradition, or is there a reason for it?
I do it the exact same way.

I also have a stainless paddle that I normally use and do not know the reason for using wood but I just wanted a "traditional" wooden paddle. My local HD and Lowes do not carry maple stock so I might try some oak. Thanks for all the replies.

Early German brewers did not understand the existence of yeast. They brewed with 3 ingredients: water, barley, and hops. The magic of fermentation was added with the wooden mash paddle. The magic in the paddle, used in earlier batches, was called "Godisgood". The paddle carried the yeast from one batch to the next. So sure, there's some tradition there.

As you mentioned, the ubiquitous metal spoon won't work at all in larger mashes - it will bend.

Here's a couple I fashioned from teak.

1610294346541.png

Best "mash paddle" ever:

Just add a cordless drill available from Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, etc.

I'd worry using the drill would scar up my mash tun. I like my stainless shine and scratch free. I can only imagen what that thing would do to plastic.

I have a SS Brewtech stainless mash tun. No problems with scratching, and I admit I sometimes hit the bottom, sides or thermowell with the mixer. I also use it in my Blichmann brew kettle without any noticeable scratching issues. Makes life much easier when doughing in, blending 1st and 2nd runnings for a pre-boil specific gravity reading and when using my immersion chiller.

I noticed a bunch of tiny holes in my first BIAB bag after several uses and realized it was probably my metal spoon. I switched to a wood paddle and it hasn’t happened again. Guessing the whisk would be fine too in that respect.

I noticed a bunch of tiny holes in my first BIAB bag after several uses and realized it was probably my metal spoon. I switched to a wood paddle and it hasn’t happened again. Guessing the whisk would be fine too in that respect.
That was my concern. I have a SS paddle but was worried that it might ruin my BIAB bag. I have been using a plastic paddle for now.

Early German brewers did not understand the existence of yeast. They brewed with 3 ingredients: water, barley, and hops. The magic of fermentation was added with the wooden mash paddle. The magic in the paddle, used in earlier batches, was called "Godisgood". The paddle carried the yeast from one batch to the next. So sure, there's some tradition there.

As you mentioned, the ubiquitous metal spoon won't work at all in larger mashes - it will bend.

Here's a couple I fashioned from teak.

View attachment 713799

I've got one of similar design, plus one of the "rake" style paddles. From some obscure place in the memory banks, I seem to recall also that in addition to carrying yeast between brews, certain woods used in making traditional mash paddles also have obscure antiseptic properties. Not sure if that's factual or just an old wives' tale. I do know that referring to "old wives" earns me a smack on the head from SWMBO'd however 🤕.

I've got one of similar design, plus one of the "rake" style paddles. From some obscure place in the memory banks, I seem to recall also that in addition to carrying yeast between brews, certain woods used in making traditional mash paddles also have obscure antiseptic properties. Not sure if that's factual or just an old wives' tale. I do know that referring to "old wives" earns me a smack on the head from SWMBO'd however 🤕.
how long is her tail? :p

Back