So I have a 14 cu ft freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, without the controller you'll freeze the ale, but no CO2 makes for a tough draw. I'd go for the CO2 tank and regulator. You can freeze water in plastic jugs in your regular fridge to lower the freezer temperature a bit. And it is surprising how little ice it takes with a good unit.

You could test the installed controller by putting five or six jugs of water in it and turning the control all the way up, but I suspect it will still freeze things.

Get a Ranco as soon as you can.

i use a love digital temperature controller and really like it... i got it from coleparmer, and i believe their product number for it was 93520-00. should be 49 or so plus shipping and tax if applicable.

A 14 Cu Ft freezer is the perfect size. I built a collar for mine, here are the build pics http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brewer007/album?.dir=b5b2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/brewer007/my_photos

Here it is finished.

Collartaps8.jpg

Collartaps91.jpg

Did you make your own tap handles? They look custom. If not, where'd you find them?

I'm thinking of making my own as well. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!:D

Spyk'd said:
Did you make your own tap handles? They look custom. If not, where'd you find them?

The tap handles are simple and cheap. I bought table legs, dowels and wood at Home Depot. I cut the wood to shape for the top and drilled a hole for the dowel. The table leg has a threaded rod in it, I removed it and threaded the wood right onto the tap.

The lables are on plain paper with clear packing tape on both sides. The tape makes them shiney and makes them easy to remove from the handle.

Spyk'd said:

This may be helpful.
right.gif
Tap Handle Insert

Make your own tap-handle by drilling a 1/2" hole to a depth of 5/8". Screw this brass insert into the hole. This provides standard tap-handle threads that will allow your homemade tap handle to fit on any standard faucet.

tap-handle-insert.jpg

http://www.northernbrewer.com/tap-handles.html

Monster Mash said:
The tap handles are simple and cheap. I bought table legs, dowels and wood at Home Depot. I cut the wood to shape for the top and drilled a hole for the dowel. The table leg has a threaded rod in it, I removed it and threaded the wood right onto the tap.

The lables are on plain paper with clear packing tape on both sides. The tape makes them shiney and makes them easy to remove from the handle.

I thought they looked like table or chair legs and they look good, so I didn't want to offend by suggesting such. I love the tops with the signage. The design is exactly what I've been looking to buy, but cannot find them in a six inch handle. Yours look a bit short. Are they 12" or less?

Also, thanks for the link olllllo, I have seen it before that's actually what gave me the idea to make my own to begin with.

If I can't talk my friend into buying a lathe, I may go the prefab leg route.

Thanks guys!

:mug:

I've tried those inserts. I had a hell of a time getting them in straight so I gave up and just threaded the wood. After threading the wood I soak it with thin super glue which makes the wood really hard.

Monster Mash said:
I've tried those inserts. I had a hell of a time getting them in straight so I gave up and just threaded the wood. After threading the wood I soak it with thin super glue which makes the wood really hard.

That's good to know. Never used them, but I did want to make a Tiki Tap from a Tiki statuette.

Back