So I had to leave town...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThickHead

Reaction score
and my Pale Ale was forced to ferment with a blow-off tube with the same blow-off container sanitizer water for about 3 and a half weeks. The beer has a bit of a sour/stale smell to it that I have not yet experienced in my brewing to this point. My first thought is of course infection, but I have never had one before so I am not certain what kind of flavors and smells they come in. Typically I have never used a blow-off tube for more than a week and even then i would change the sanitizer (iodophor) water at least once a day, if not twice a day since i understand that iodophor solution loses its potency over time. Anyway...my question is: Should I be concerned about infection with this sort of smell? There was no growth or any strange solids really in the fermentation vessel but I know that is not always a sign that there is no infection. Any ideas?

Change the blowoff jug water every day? I have used the same blowoff rig for up to three batches in a row without changing it.

Lol...talk about the other end of the spectrum. I have always been fairly anal about my sanitation. However, what i am really looking for is an opinion on the aroma. It is a bit disturbing to me and is certainly not in line with my recipe.

Well, not having smelled it I can't really help you. Even if I smelled it I probably couldn't help you.

But, I did just tap an amber ale that has a mysterious funky taste. I think it got some wild yeast going in it. Point is, there is no way to really know anything about the beer other than, when the time comes, does it taste like something you want to drink?

Well, not having smelled it I can't really help you. Even if I smelled it I probably couldn't help you.

But, I did just tap an amber ale that has a mysterious funky taste. I think it got some wild yeast going in it. Point is, there is no way to really know anything about the beer other than, when the time comes, does it taste like something you want to drink?

Indeed that is the real question, and I will make that decision in about three weeks time once the bottles that i am filling now have been properly carbonated. However, I have yet to be unimpressed by the amount of archaic knowledge that some brewers here have been able to accumulate during their individual experiences with issues stemming from unexpected or sometimes inexplicable results. So I thought I would ask...

Now that I think on the aroma a bit I am beginning to realize that it may be associated with characteristics of a style that do not exactly care for. Pondering more upon the nose of this brew I have decided that the "sour/stale" smell is something that i have experienced before. In fact, I have experienced it (albeit not to the same degree) in a beer by a much respected microbrewery here in the states. Now...I have tried just about everything that Bell's has put out (and collectively love the lot) , but I have never cared for their Pale Ale as much as their others. And now that i have had time to put my finger on why, I can clearly associate the same undesirable aromatic characteristic that seeps into the back-end flavor of Bell's Pale Ale in my latest brew in question. Hrmmmmmmmmm.....

Back