so.....I forgot to take an OG reading....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi people.

About 5 days ago I posted up about my first brew. I was very excited, very careful and sanitized everything. FORGOT MY OG!
Fermentation was going well, started to slow a bit on day 4, very very slow on day 5. So just now I thought Id take a hydrometer reading.

Took a small amount into my trail jar and placed in the hydrometer.......bang! That thing sunk like a stone man! My reading is 1.010.
Roughly how strong will this have made the beer? I was aiming for about 4.5 - 5%. I know I forgot the OG but is there anyway to tell?
I follwed the instructions on the kit to the letter as it was my first brew.

Its a EDME SUPERBREW BAVARIAN WEIZEN. With 1kg of dextrose added. Nothing else just the yeast.

What sort of hydrometer do you have mine has a little section on the side that estimates how much sugar there is per liter if you work out how much went in you could gain an approximate reading from that.

Did you brew from a kit....?

If so it is likely that they had an estimated OG, and if you followed their brewing instructions, you can take their estimated OG and you true FG and make an ABV assumption.

Make sense...???

Well if I have done this correctly and you brewed from a kit your hopped malt would have been about 1KG and you added 1KG of additional sugars it works out to 88.1 grams of sugar per liter which would give you roughly a OG of 1.032 hope that helps.

Yes. It was brewed from a kit. A simple open a can, add sugar and water then yeast.

Its my first so I wanted to take baby steps before I move into partial/grain.

Many thanks for your help everybody. I tasted it after I measured the sample. Tastes alright. Like a weizen just a bit less "fuller" if you will.

Will the fact that I didnt do the whole 23 litres affect the strengh drastically? I had read that one easy way to keep the abv up was to put a bit less water into these kits.
It called for 23 litres, I only did twenty in the hope of keeping it up nearer the 5% abv mark.

That will change the ABV as you had more sugar to liquid ratio if you used the whole can of hopped malt the flavor should also be stronger than intended.

Latest posts

Back