So I Drank A Budweiser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zul'jin

Reaction score
Five, actually. They ain't all that bad. They ain't all that good. Weren't the first time or anything. Just the first time in years. When people say they make better beer, they do. It ain't hard too make better beer than regular Budweiser. It's pretty damn easy to make way worse beer too. Way worse.

Way.

But really, it's just that Budweiser doesn't have the complexity of flavors of the beers I'm sure most of us make. It's just... Budweiser. There's nothing there to say, "DAMN I'M A BEER!" It's like, "Hey guys. I'm a Budweiser."

"Oh? Yeah. Well."

"Yeah."

"..."

I think you could make a reasonable facsimile of bud by soaking some 2-row in distilled water for a while, adding a homeopathic amount of hop extract, a bit of vodka for the alcohol and then carbonating it.

It's not bad, it's hardly beer and has absolutely NO flavor to it at all.

The only reason it took me so long to get into beer was because of beers like this getting in my way of the good craft brews. Clouded my mind to how great beer could really be.

I've never liked this style of beer, but I don't hate it. Just mad due to my point above.

I grabbed a 6r of Heilman's Old Style on the way home from the UP this weekend and it wasn't bad! Curiosity got the better of me, but it turned out much more flavorful than I remember Bud being.

Only problem is you gotta drink them fast, cause once the carbonation is gone, they start tasting nasty. I'm used to drinking beer that still tastes good a bit warm and flat.

I had a $10 bud light (buttwipe) at the MLB All Star Game. First one in at least a dozen years. It had no flavor until it warmed up, then it tasted like shiat... it was in a sweet aluminum all-star bottle though...

How funny... I recently had a Bud experience as well. This stuff is all over the shelves of the two local supermarkets, not sure what it is about, but I decided that if I am going to live in New Mexico then I am going in . .. .. . my apologies to Sam Calagione..

budclato.jpg

Did you finish it? Your face looks like the after taste hasn't hit you yet.

I (obviously) prefer either my homebrew or a craft brew, but up here in RI the local macro is Narragansett Lager. I've heard that years ago it was good, and then was bought out by Falstaff or Ballantine and got really really bad. Recently, it was bought back by some locals and they tried to get it back to the original recipe.

My point: It's a macro. It's cheap. It has a huge adjunct percentage to the bill. But...it's actually got a lot of flavor (a lot of corn, but still...corn has more flavor than the rice that Bud uses) And some good character to it. In fact, the Beer Advocate site rates it as one of the best macros on the market. I know, the best of the worst, but still...

I'll always use it as a Saturday BBQ, $8 for a 12ver, please everyone beer. And I'll always choose it over Bud.

Sometimes cheap macros aren't all that bad in the grand scheme of things.

I took one of those bud and clamatos and added some creole seasoning, some crushed garlic, and made some beer butt chicken, turned out pretty tasty, I wouldnt drink one straight, but as a seasoning, it worked.

I haven't had a Bud in ages. I think I'm perfectly okay with that. But if someone offers me a beer and it's a Bud, I'll still definitely have to accept. (That might be the grad student in me...)

It may sound crazy, but I skipped BMC between my Steel Reserve phase and Craft Beer phase.

Ugh . . . Steel Reserve . . . makes me shudder just to think of it.

D.

My Own Opinion, I cannot stand Bud in the Red can. I have drank quite a few of them in the past. I tried a Lone Star a month ago, now I won't drink one of those either (never drank Lone Star and was curious). Just me now, don't flame me. I would rather grab some ice cream and a coke, to shake ANY curiosities to try Bud again. I can choke a Bud Light down (if only thing available).

Vote: BMC NO! >^>^>^><^<^<^< PBR YES!

Life is too short to dance with ugly beer.

You guys are funny! I have turned down free bud, miller, coors, and others like it countless times. When I lived in Denver, at sporting events and concerts, if there was not a craft brew available and I wanted a drink I'd opt for a vodka and tonic rather than pour pisspoor beer into me.

For the record, I dumped it out after tasting, and I only took it on for market research. I moved here to start a brewpub, and found the local stores carrrying this Clamato Chelada thing on their shelves, so yea, I thought, "this stuff sells, it must be a regonal thing, do I need to create a high-quality version for the brewpub?"

In fact, according to a press release that I found on the internets, this type of beer sells well in this part of the country for ethnic reasons:

"Latinos, specifically those of Mexican descent, have been mixing beer with Clamato for decades. Budweiser & Clamato Chelada and Bud Light & Clamato Chelada honor that tradition by combining Anheuser-Busch’s classic American-style lagers with the spicy, invigorating taste of Clamato Tomato Cocktail, made by Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages (CSAB).
Due to their tremendous test market success, adults across the country are clamoring to enjoy this convenient, great-tasting drink. “This is a recipe that combines cultures and flavors,” said Ana Vitrano, product manager, Anheuser-Busch, Inc. “Budweiser, Bud Light and Clamato are all highly respected brands that, when combined, produce the authentic-tasting recipe many Latinos love. It’s la combinación perfecta!”"

I have to tell you, as much as I would like my future taps full of bourbon barrel stouts, ultra-hoppy IPAs, thick cloudy Hefes, and black malty Dopplebocks (MY TASTES), I will have a business that must be profitable. So, I am going to have a pale ale, an amber, an American wheat, a good but not extreme stout, etc.

Plus, if the population expresses a desire for it, maybe a Clamato Chelada mixed on the spot using a craft-brewed pale lager :)
:mug:

Isn't that Bud Lite Clamato rated the worst beer in the world?

That's... impressively nefarious.

hahahah.. found this on Ratebeer, the bud chelada is actually number seven!

score count style
1 Olde English 800 3.2 0.97 51 Malt Liquor
2 Natural Ice 1.02 713 Malt Liquor
3 Natural Light 1.03 1015 Pale Lager
4 Milwaukees Best 1.05 749 Pale Lager
5 Michelob Ultra 1.06 994 Pale Lager
6 Sleeman Clear 1.08 110 Pale Lager
7 Bud Light Chelada 1.08 198 Spice/Herb/Vegetable
8 Budweiser Select 55 1.09 100 Pale Lager
9 Coors Aspen Edge 1.11 197 Pale Lager
10 Gluek Stite Light Lager 1.12 55 Pale Lager

truthfully, a good lager mixed with a can of v8 goes much further towards making a pleasurable beverage. i've had the climato once before, and i'm nearly positive that bud was trying to make it taste awful.

so long as you're using a good hearty and well-spiced tomato juice (and a decent beer, but that almost went without saying), it has a good chance of being enjoyable for some.

truthfully, a good lager mixed with a can of v8 goes much further towards making a pleasurable beverage. i've had the climato once before, and i'm nearly positive that bud was trying to make it taste awful.

so long as you're using a good hearty and well-spiced tomato juice (and a decent beer, but that almost went without saying), it has a good chance of being enjoyable for some.

You bring up a great point, this idea of mixed drinks using a craft beer as a base. I will only have a beer and wine licensed, but would like to offer some version of a bloody mary (as you show can be done) and, due to my location, something that tastes like a great margarita. A crisp, clean, marg that is not overly sweet, not like an artificially flavored wine cooler. I know it can be done.....

I think you could make a reasonable facsimile of bud by soaking some 2-row in distilled water for a while, adding a homeopathic amount of hop extract, a bit of vodka for the alcohol and then carbonating it.

It's not bad, it's hardly beer and has absolutely NO flavor to it at all.

Don't forget corn. You'll want to use at least 40% corn.

My son brought over a bottle of Bud barbecue sauce so I cracked it open first chance. It's OK but I prefer JD.

Back