So, I did a thing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
During a boil on a golden stout, I put ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and cloves in a muslin bag and brought it to a boil in 1/2 a cup of water on the stove. Then added it to the boil. I let the muslin bag steep in the boil also. I guess my question is, will this produce a gingerbread golden stout?

Actually, I’m kegging it. Can I add molasses to the bottom of the keg when transferring? And if so how much? It’s a 3 gallon batch.

2.6 ounces of molasses in 3 gallons of stout will give you 2.0 volumes of CO2 and a little extra sediment at the bottom of your keg. But if you just add the molasses and force carbonate in the cold then I would think that you'll wind up with too much sweetness.

When adding the sugar/molasses, you might want to consider what your actual OG was and if it was spot on with the recipe's predicted OG then adding additional sugar is going to get you a higher ABV and possibly leave you a drier taste or if your yeast can't attenuate fully because of the increased ABV, then it might be too sweet.

Thank you all for the responses. I have about 6 more days of fermentation, so I’ll weigh my options. 🙏

When adding the sugar/molasses, you might want to consider what your actual OG was and if it was spot on with the recipe's predicted OG then adding additional sugar is going to get you a higher ABV and possibly leave you a drier taste or if your yeast can't attenuate fully because of the increased ABV, then it might be too sweet.
Recipe? 😂😎 I actually took info from about 3 recipes . Fingers crossed 🤞

There is free beer software and stuff out there that you can put your recipe in and see what it predicts the OG, FG as well as seeing other info you might like to know about your beer while you are brewing it. They lessen your need to cross your fingers.

At the top of this page is one such that you can use some of it's features for free. Look for Brewing Software in the tabs.

There is free beer software and stuff out there that you can put your recipe in and see what it predicts the OG, FG as well as seeing other info you might like to know about your beer while you are brewing it. They lessen your need to cross your fingers.

At the top of this page is one such that you can use some of it's features for free. Look for Brewing Software in the tabs.
Awesome! Thank you! 🙏
My OG was 1.068
Shooting for a FG of 1.011
So, a abv around 7.4

So… I kegged it, force carbed it, and …. It kinda sucks. It’s too sweet and I’m getting some off flavors. I think it’s the fermenter I used, which was a Brew Demon conical. I’ve heard the lids on the brew demon aren’t the greatest. Everything I’ve brewed in my stainless Anvil has been good. Last batch was great! Probably the best beer I’ve made. oh well, on to the next brew.
Edit- *also I have a 3 gallon Brew Demon for sale cheap. 🫠😎
Edit 2 - it smells like gingerbread.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back