So i chilled my ale wort too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
Transferred it to a closed bucket at about 85 degrees. Put it in my freezer for a while. Came home and it's about 60. Should I pitch the yeast and let fermentation happen when it gets warmer or wait until it warms up to pitch?

60 isn't all that low, depending on the temp of your yeast when you pitch. If you can get the yeast to 60, just pitch it and let it free rise to your intended fermentation temperature.

What strain are you using and what temp is the yeast stored at now?

Like the previous poster said if it's close to 60 go ahead and pitch and it will be fine.

On Saturday around 3:30pm I pitched 1056 at 61F. By 9:30pm that night it had free risen to 65F and was bubbling just fine. By 9:30pm last night (+2 days), it was already at 65% attenuation and is now finished at 83% attenuation.

Cal Ale will ferment in the low 60s, it's just a bit sluggish. It'll even work away in the high 50s. Any lower and it'll take a nap though.

Back