So I bought these kegs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I guess I'm getting in a little over my head, but it's still fun. My first batch EVER is still in the primary but I just bought a kegging setup. I have 3 five gallon kegs, a CO2 tank, regulator, a hose w/ check valve from the regulator to the keg, a picnic tap, and an O ring set for each keg. I'm going to put the first batch in a keg this weekend and try to force carb it. (Who says you have to be patient?) I'm picking up another refrigerator tomorrow that I'm going to convert into a kegerator. I'd like to have 3 taps on the front and a drip pan.

My question:

What do I still need? The kit only came with hoses for one keg. I want 3 taps and I'd like to do all the building tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

More patience, of course.:D If it's been less than a month since you brewed, you WILL regret not waiting.

A 3-way CO2 manifold, gas line, 2 gas disconnects, more taps (with 10 ft of 3/16ths).

And patience.

and shanks to go through the refrigerator wall. Get the perlick faucets, a little more money but the forward design is superior.

I don't think my LHBS has Perlick. Can I get that portion online? They should have everything else, I'll call and check.

While I realize you want this done yesterday, IMO you could start out with 1,2, or 3 inexpensive picnic taps and then take your time to finish your kegerator the way you want it as you learn more. A co2 manifold is the better way to go, but you can also split the lines w/ a simple tee fitting in the "meantime".

you better post pics on that build up and be ready to help me with mine when I get home. Also a question for people who have painted a refrig??? Do you have to use appliance paint or will a couple cans of glossy spray paint do the trick?

don't rush the keezer.

I'm already starting to work on re-designing parts of mine that I wish I'd done differently.

Dude, just slow down. Take your time and do it right the first time and only spend you money once. You'll be happy you did.

You remind me of a teen having sex for the first time. :ban:

It's well on it's way. I'll post some pictures here in a little bit. I got a fridge on craigslist for free, gutted it, painted it, switched handles, bleached out the inside, and now I'm waiting on parts for the rest of the system. I ordered 3 Perlick 525ss's, 3 4" SS shanks, 5/16" and 3/16" tubing, a 3 way manifold, connectors, clamps, and a drip tray. It should be here next week sometime. Now I just need to know where I can find duck/goose hunting tap handles. It's big enough for 3 cornys and the CO2 tank. I had to cut out all the plastic molding on the door that made up the shelves because it wouldn't close without it. I've got the hole saw and I'm ready for the rest of the stuff to get here. I want to be patient, but on the other hand, I'm loving every minute of it. Not to mention I now have an extra freezer for fish and game! If anyone has any tips or any of those "Man, I wish I would have done THAT back then" kinda advice, I'd really appreciate it...

If you can see between the kegerator and the wall, there's just enough room for a 5 gallon carboy. I'm going to get a piece of carpet cut to put on top of the kegerator and put my 2 6.5 gallon primaries on top and then have the secondaries on the ground. I'm hoping the refrigerator doesn't put off too much heat to use that little area, possibly remedied with a fan to circulate it around the other side. Needless to say, after all was said and done (and spent) the wife isn't too entirely pissed off, because now she can have the kitchen back.

I also remind myself of a teen having sex for the first time!!

(Sorry for the poor quality, my hands were spray-painty so I used my phone in stead of the nice camera)
So here's what I started with...
Kegeratorpart1.jpg

And here's a picture of it painted and stickered up, waiting on the rest of the components and then I'll drill out the taps...
Kegeratorpart2notaps.jpg

And here's a picture of the three 5 gallon kegs and the CO2 tank inside the kegerator, not connected, yet, of course...
kegeratorpart3kegsandCO2insidenotse.jpg

Im jealous I really want to making mine right now as well but I will be patient and just let you find out all the headaches before I venture into mine. Ill take the credit for the handle placement:rockin: N e ways looks really good cant wait to come back relax and have a home brew out the new kegerator. Although Hawaii is gonna be nice!!

Im jealous I really want to making mine right now as well but I will be patient and just let you find out all the headaches before I venture into mine. Ill take the credit for the handle placement:rockin: N e ways looks really good cant wait to come back relax and have a home brew out the new kegerator. Although Hawaii is gonna be nice!!

Yeah, when I looked at putting the taps where I had originally planned, it was pretty much impractical. I didn't want to have to lean down or squat every time I wanted a beer. Since I plan on putting decent size tap handles on there, you were right, I wouldn't be able to open the freezer without opening the refrigerator part as well, so I might as well just bolt the handle to both doors. When I come by to rack/bottle your beer when you're gone, I'm gonna pick up that level you got today to drill out the holes for the shanks, Bo.

yea and I pulled out the drill and the saw so go to town its all you there Bo. I was thinking after looking at your pictures if you make a platform and lift your kegs up to the same level as your co2 you will be able to have more room and not have to cut out the door. Just a thought and an idea I saw someone else do on the kegerator section.

yea and I pulled out the drill and the saw so go to town its all you there Bo. I was thinking after looking at your pictures if you make a platform and lift your kegs up to the same level as your co2 you will be able to have more room and not have to cut out the door. Just a thought and an idea I saw someone else do on the kegerator section.

Door's already cut. I like it this way because it leaves a lot of room up top for the manifold and all the tubing that's going to be running to and from the kegs. Check out my tap handle thread. I found the ones I'm gonna use.

Latest posts

Back