So I bought a turkey fryer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mase

Reaction score
I was at Wally Worl last night scoping out some 4 gal kettles for stove top partial batches when I stumbled across a turkey fryer 735 gallon set up for $20 more. :ban: Full boils here I come.

My question is, I know I have to oxidize it by boiling water in it for 30 mins, but does it matter what kind of water I use? I will be using store bought spring water to brew (the water from the tap here in FL taste like dirt) but will tap or hose water suffice for oxidizing?

Also, I'll be getting a wort chiller (copper or steel). Is it good practice to dip that thing in there as well? I know to sanitize I put it in for the last 15 mins of the boil but what about initially using it?

Thanks guys!

any water is fine to get the oxide layer. i used tap, which i also use for brewing, but any water will do.
for the wort chiller, yes, put it in for the last 10-15 mins of the boil to sterilize, but always be careful not to ding it on the edges of the kettle when putting it in or taking it out.

Palmer also says you can build up the aluminum oxide layer by baking dry in an oven for 6 hrs @ 250F. Either method works. Just be careful not to use oxyclean or star san in that aluminum kettle. Could cause corrosion and pitting. A gentle detergent with a few rinses is what I do to clean after the boil. Some people just rinse them out really good as it will boiled the next time.

If WW has 735 gallon aluminum kettles for cheap I might have to go buy one! I'm guessing you meant 7.35 or 7.5?

If WW has 735 gallon aluminum kettles for cheap I might have to go buy one! I'm guessing you meant 7.35 or 7.5?

Haha wow. Yeah I meant 7.5. Darn fat fingers.

That would be one hell of a turkey!

Also, as a note with the wort chiller.. be careful that it doesn't have water in it when you put in the hot wort. Water will have a way of exploding out of the ends and possibly burning you.

I use plain water for putting on the oxide layer as well. If your water tastes fine to drink.. it will also be fine for brewing.. but, I'd certainly suggest you don't use water from a water softener...

Back