So how many batches do you get out of a single propane tank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorMag

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, it depends. On average I get four to five. But it depends on the outside ambient temperature, how long the boil is, and the size of the batch, among other things...

Just looking for a quesstimate. I got a Bayou burner, and I am just wondering how often you need to refill your standard propane tank?

The burner I got was this one.

Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP10-High-Pressure-Outdoor/dp/B000291GBQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I've had my eye on that burner. Do you use a pot or a keggle? I've got a 15.5 gallon keggle that I'm using. Tried to borrow a burner from a buddy and it doesn't big enough that the keggle would stay on there.

I've had my eye on that burner. Do you use a pot or a keggle? I've got a 15.5 gallon keggle that I'm using. Tried to borrow a burner from a buddy and it doesn't big enough that the keggle would stay on there.

I use a 12.5 gallon pot worked fantastic. I got the burner for $28 off Amazon. It was a return that the sold through their "Warehouse". It was never even opened by the person who returned it.

I brew all grain 6.5 gallon batches and I get two batches per tank. I use the
Edelmetall[emoji769] Brü Burner.

When starting out I used a lot of stuff I already had. I used a weed torch and got 3 - 4 brews per tank. I switched to electric rather than buy a real propane burner.

Main question people don't ask about batches is do you do extract or all-grain? The general assumption people go by when answering this question is doing ag. You'll get a lot more batches out of extract than you will ag, due to having to heat mash water, heating sparge water, keeping the recirc water hot if you do any recirculating mash, etc. If I do 10 gallon all-grain batches, I get about 4. If I do 5g extract batches, I get probably 8.

I get 3 ag 10 gallon batches out of this one. It's a beast! Can't really beat the price either...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also, I get 4-5 five gallon batches from my ss Blichman burner. Much better on gas consumption, but doesn't have the balls of the one linked above. Lol!

Sometimes I use both burners at the same time, depending on my time constraints. Then I use a ton of propane...

:mug:

I get 5-6 out of my blichman. My previous bayou classic sq14 got 4 max You can weight your tank between brews to get an idea of consumption. Having a backup tank is nice.

Also don't exchange tanks at the store they are only allowed to be fills to 18lbs get your tanks refilled at a station. They fill to 20lbs and it's always cheaper about $5 less for me and that doesn't include the 2 extra pounds of propane.

Also don't exchange tanks at the store they are only allowed to be fills to 18lbs get your tanks refilled at a station. They fill to 20lbs and it's always cheaper about $5 less for me and that doesn't include the 2 extra pounds of propane.

I didn't know this. I always thought the tanks from propane exchange felt lighter. I must admit, the convenience is awesome.

I usually get between 7-8 all grain batches out of my Blichmann. I pre-heat my strike water with an Anova immersion circulator so I'm just using the burner for the actual boil and not for heating the strike water which helps save on the propane.

As an aside I love the Anova, I typically treat my water the day before a brew session, pop the Anova in set to my strike temp and cover the kettle with tinfoil to keep evaporation to a minimum. When I'm ready to brew the next day I'm already at strike temp and ready to brew. It's such a time saver.

Depends on what I'm brewing. I typically get about 4 batches unless I'm doing a long boil for a sour or barleywine or something similar. I have a backup tank just in case.

I go to a local shop which fills by weight and pressure cutoff (like a gas pump)...$14. I'm not sure if that's good or not, but cheaper than those swap and go places here at $19.99.

Latest posts

Back