Best Bang for your buck HERMS build!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElChangoGuero

Reaction score
Best Bang for your Buck HERMS build! :mug:

Hello to all the beer lovers out there, i am here seeking some advice, ive done a lot of research regarding how to do the best HERMS system with the least money amount possible. I will include the total price chart and links to all of the parts ill be using and uploading pictures of the evolution of my built. Feel free to drop all of your suggestions down below, we are all still learning and if someone has a better idea i am happy to hear it.

Built Previoew
Herms.png
Now on this drawing i am already considering converting this to a Electric HERMS ("E-HERMS") for back to back batches but for the time being i will be using 2 Bayou 210K BTU burners

Now since i do want to do big 15 gallon batches i am going with the 100 QT(25 Gallons) Concord Stainless steel kettles, moved the ball valve and thermometer to the same hight due to the fact that if i only want to do a 5 gallon batch i would still like to get accurate temperature reading.

This system will be using x2 stainless steel head chugger pumps and a counterflow wort chiller.

Parts List
  1. Stainless Steel Kettle w/ Lid 100 QT
  2. Chugger High Temperature Stainless Steel Brew Pump
  3. Weldless Thermometer Kit 6" Probe 3" Dial
  4. SS Weldless Valve Kit 1/2"BS with Quick Disconnect Set and bulkhead
  5. Bayou Classic KAB6 High Pressure Banjo Cooker 210k BTU
  6. Deluxe Counterflow Wort Chiller 1/2" Copper Tubing
  7. Weldless Sightglass
  8. False Bottom For 25 Gallon Kettle
  9. Sparge float ball
  10. HERMS 10" Coil with 2 bends 50' x 1/2" OD Tubing 304
  11. HERMS Coil Weldless Bulkhead for 1/2" OD. Tube, 1/2" Male NPT x 1/2" Compression
  12. 1/2" FPT X 3/8" Barb Elbow, Homebrew Hardware, Stainless Steel 304
  13. Greenlee 730BB-13/16 Standard Round Knockout Punch Unit, 13/16-Inch
EHERMS Additional Parts List
  1. EBC III-D Electric Brewery Controller
  2. Heating Element, 5500 Watt 1.5"" TC INTEGRATED ULWD RIPPLE
  3. Stainless Steel 304 Tee - 1/2" Female BSP

ElChango,

My suggestions are:

• In the HLT move the temperature probe to the outlet on a tee. The sight glass temperature will stratify. (on my Mash Tun the glass stays clear water for most of the mash and sparge)
  • In the MT move the temperature probe from the inlet to the outlet. Most HERMS systems end up with about a 1°F approach (the wort exiting the HERMS is within 1°F of the HLT) If you leave the probe at the inlet it will always read the HLT temperature - the approach temperature.
  • I'd add a temperature probe to the BK. With controls it will allow you to raise the BK temp to say 210°F and hold during the sparge to save you time.
  • I'd add a sight glass the the MLT. It is very helpful in balancing the in/out during sparging.
  • I'd consider adding a sight glass to the BK as well.
  • Why the complicated whirlpool arms? I'd go one on the top for the HLT and one on the bottom for the BK.
  • I haven't seen this EBC controller before. For an additional ~$500 you could get an Electric Brewing Panel (what I have, it will be a DIY kit at that price) or one of the Ebrew panels. The PID Ebrew will be similar to the Electric Brewing (which looks similar to the EBC but with more controls), the BCS panel has local controls but uses a very customizable local intranet based PLC. If I had to do this again I would go with the BCS panel. I have a BCS running my fermentation controls and love it.
  • At 15 gallon batches I would look at upgrading to a 50 amp panel and using (2) heating elements, at least in the HLT. Look at this spreadsheet for estimated heating times.

ElChango,

My suggestions are:

• In the HLT move the temperature probe to the outlet on a tee. The sight glass temperature will stratify. (on my Mash Tun the glass stays clear water for most of the mash and sparge)
  • In the MT move the temperature probe from the inlet to the outlet. Most HERMS systems end up with about a 1°F approach (the wort exiting the HERMS is within 1°F of the HLT) If you leave the probe at the inlet it will always read the HLT temperature - the approach temperature.
  • I'd add a temperature probe to the BK. With controls it will allow you to raise the BK temp to say 210°F and hold during the sparge to save you time.
  • I'd add a sight glass the the MLT. It is very helpful in balancing the in/out during sparging.
  • I'd consider adding a sight glass to the BK as well.
  • Why the complicated whirlpool arms? I'd go one on the top for the HLT and one on the bottom for the BK.
  • I haven't seen this EBC controller before. For an additional ~$500 you could get an Electric Brewing Panel (what I have, it will be a DIY kit at that price) or one of the Ebrew panels. The PID Ebrew will be similar to the Electric Brewing (which looks similar to the EBC but with more controls), the BCS panel has local controls but uses a very customizable local intranet based PLC. If I had to do this again I would go with the BCS panel. I have a BCS running my fermentation controls and love it.
  • At 15 gallon batches I would look at upgrading to a 50 amp panel and using (2) heating elements, at least in the HLT. Look at this spreadsheet for estimated heating times.

god damn, the more i get into this brewing the more info there is, ok well i dont think i would like BCS, more of a PID guy, did see some videos, for fermentation definitely BCS, but not for brewing, BUT now i have opened the pandora box of control panels, dont think i can pull off a DIY panel but i am trying to save money, definitely need a 50a so i can run 2 5500w elements (1 in hlt & 1 in BK) at the same time for back to back batches, now that you mentioned having control over the boil this is a must now, so far after much research i think i will go with the 50a kit from ebrewsupply for $1100, hoping that with a little help from some friend i can pull it off

How far have we got on this? Extremely interested. Those pots, have you used any of them before? Are they kinda heavy duty? That's a pretty good price when you can basically build everything yourself.

How far have we got on this? Extremely interested. Those pots, have you used any of them before? Are they kinda heavy duty? That's a pretty good price when you can basically build everything yourself.

Hi, for some reason i cant find where to edit the post, but i have used these pots in the past, i actually went to their warehouse in California and got the pots, originally i got a 50qt but now on my system i want to use x1 80qt for the HLT and x2 120qt for the MT and BK, they are very well made and durable, didnt have any issues making the holes on my kettles.

Hi, for some reason i cant find where to edit the post, but i have used these pots in the past, i actually went to their warehouse in California and got the pots, originally i got a 50qt but now on my system i want to use x1 80qt for the HLT and x2 120qt for the MT and BK, they are very well made and durable, didnt have any issues making the holes on my kettles.

Oh nice okay I may look into picking them up. Didn't want to spend the big money on kettles but if they work well, that's all that matters

Latest posts

Back