So had bad is it? Transfer issues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marjen

Reaction score
So I just got done doing my first every transfer from bucket to keg. Its my first time brewing, all new equipment. I had a siphon on the bottom of the buckets and a use connected to a ball lock connector that I connected to the out port of the kegs. The first one went fine, no issues at all. Transferred as expected. The other keg was a nightmare. Nothing would feed from the hose into the keg. I have no idea why. Now the parts for the ports are a little different. One keg is an italian keg (the one that worked) the ports had less parts. The other was an indian made keg, that had springs, a little piece that fit in etc. That is the keg that did not work. The ball lock connector would connect to it fine, but again nothing would come out.

So out of desperation in order to try and salvage the beer, I took the top off the keg, removed the ball lock connector from the hose and just fed it into the keg that way, placing the hose all the way at the bottom.

So my main question is now that I let a sh_$)ton of oxygen into the keg and beer, is it going to be ok? I was trying to keep as much O2 out as possible as its a hoppy NE IPA. But that obviously backfired. Once done I got it hooked up to the gas line and its not getting carbonated, but wondering if I killed my beer? :(

I doubt you killed it. I transfer by taking the lid off a purged keg, stick the siphon hose to the bottom and fill it. All I make is IPAS, and I have yet to kill a batch. C02 is heavier than 02, so opening the lid yes will allow some 02 in, but that c02 is not just going to fly away.

Your option 1 is the best way, but the way you did things I bet will be just fine.

Tap both kegs at the same time and compare. See how noticable the oxygen is. Learning experience, not failure:D

Thanks guys. Just kind of frustrating. Was all excited about legging my first batch of my own beer and equipment failure. Hopefully it will be ok.

It will be ok. I transfer all my beers to keg with a siphon hose inserted through the keg lid opening.

I also transfer with an autosiphon with tubing to the bottom of the keg. I don't do anything to reduce oxygen. I then close the lid, connect the co2, purge the headspace by opening the pressure release valve a few times. I have never detected any oxidation.

I also transfer with an autosiphon with tubing to the bottom of the keg. I don't do anything to reduce oxygen. I then close the lid, connect the co2, purge the headspace by opening the pressure release valve a few times. I have never detected any oxidation.

Good to know. I guess I am just nervous as there are soooo many threads on this site about O2 and NE IPAs. I will see how it goes.

Frustrating experience. Taking it all this far then having to compromise.

Dumb question, but did you open the PRV to let the CO2 out while transferring? Or stick an open QD on the gas post to vent it?

Maybe the Indian keg has a different poppet mechanism? Something that needs pressure from the inside to open?

Let us know how the 2 beers compare. Just curious if you can detect a difference later.

Ive kegged both ways. Ive never noticed a ton of difference. IF you can do it a pressurized transfer for IPAs is nice as it seems to keep the aroma around longer. Its hella easier to take the lid off though and siphon to the bottom of the keg and then purge it really good and I still do this most of the time even though I could pressure transfer all of my beer for a couple of reasons. One is so I can see how full the thing is and two co2 isn't dirt cheap and like I said in many beers I don't see much if any real benefit to doing it. I all but gurantee you didn't "ruin" the beer though. Youd have to really splash it around etc to ruin it.

Ive kegged both ways. Ive never noticed a ton of difference. IF you can do it a pressurized transfer for IPAs is nice as it seems to keep the aroma around longer. Its hella easier to take the lid off though and siphon to the bottom of the keg and then purge it really good and I still do this most of the time even though I could pressure transfer all of my beer for a couple of reasons. One is so I can see how full the thing is and two co2 isn't dirt cheap and like I said in many beers I don't see much if any real benefit to doing it. I all but gurantee you didn't "ruin" the beer though. Youd have to really splash it around etc to ruin it.

A dollar wise and 30 dollar foolish?

You may be surprised that a 100% liquid pre-purge can use less gas (cost ~9 gallons of gas at 10 psi) than a good solid purge of the headspace after filling with the lid off. Even more so if your keg isn't filled all the way, thus leaving a larger headspace that needs to be purged.

I hear all this worry about having to purge kegs, the need for closed transfers, oxidized brews when using a bottling bucket if you don't purge it out with co2....

I have never done it, I think the great majority of homebrewers don't and wonder how all of us are not oxidizing our beers.

I seriously think oxidizing you beer is really pretty difficult if you don't slosh your beer around a lot.

Can your beer be better with a closed transfer, etc? - probably but by how much and is it worth the effort and cost of co2? So far it hasn't been for me.

A dollar wise and 30 dollar foolish?

You may be surprised that a 100% liquid pre-purge can use less gas (cost ~9 gallons of gas at 10 psi) than a good solid purge of the headspace after filling with the lid off. Even more so if your keg isn't filled all the way, thus leaving a larger headspace that needs to be purged.

That may be true. You still gotta get the beer in there then and you have two ways to do that that I can think of, pressurized transfer (more gas to push it), or siphon and then some kind of a purge again.

That may be true. You still gotta get the beer in there then and you have two ways to do that that I can think of, pressurized transfer (more gas to push it), or siphon and then some kind of a purge again.

If you use pressurized transfer into a 100% pre-purged keg, and want to save the gas that takes, you should consider pre-purging another keg by connection it to the in-port of the one you're filling. The PRV remains closed in that case.

When you spend all that money, work, and time on brewing a good beer, then a dollar of gas is really a good investment. Sure, not economical with a 5# tank. Get a larger one, 20# or more. CO2 refills/swaps run $1-1.50 a pound at that size. Even less if you have the right connection.

If you use pressurized transfer into a 100% pre-purged keg, and want to save the gas that takes, you should consider pre-purging another keg by connection it to the in-port of the one you're filling. The PRV remains closed in that case.

When you spend all that money, work, and time on brewing a good beer, then a dollar of gas is really a good investment. Sure, not economical with a 5# tank. Get a larger one, 20# or more. CO2 refills/swaps run $1-1.50 a pound at that size. Even less if you have the right connection.

ya it just depends where ya live as far as I can see. I mean 2 5lb bottles of gas refills cost me 50 bucks here and its my only local gas place.

ya it just depends where ya live as far as I can see. I mean 2 5lb bottles of gas refills cost me 50 bucks here and its my only local gas place.

OUCH! :tank:

Have you asked how much for a 20# or 50# refill? At that price you need to call around. That's ridiculously expensive, there must be better options. Even if you have to drive a bit, it pays to have a large tank (20#+) or a couple of them.

One of my 2 LHBSs charges $3.15 a pound regardless of fill volume. Great for that ultra portable 2.5# tank ($7.88, oh, yes, any time!), borderline for 5# ($15.75) and definitely not for 20# ($63!). Plus 6% sales tax.

In the mean time, I understand you need to be frugal with CO2. You can naturally carbonate, but compare to the price of your priming sugar, although you can use regular sugar, doesn't need to be corn sugar.

Most beers can probably withstand simple siphoning into the bottom of an open keg, as long as you take precautions on how to avoid oxidation. As long as you fill them with 5 gallons, or a quart more, leaving little headspace, you're good to purge without wasting gallons of gas (and $$) each time you pull the PRV. What's that, a quarter a pull on a gallon headspace?

Hoppy beers, NE IPAs, I'd bite the bullet and use a pre-purged keg to avoid losing that fresh hop flavor and aroma. You've got $20 of hops in there!

OUCH! :tank:

Have you asked how much for a 20# or 50# refill? At that price you need to call around. That's ridiculously expensive, there must be better options. Even if you have to drive a bit, it pays to have a large tank (20#+) or a couple of them.

One of my 2 LHBSs charges $3.15 a pound regardless of fill volume. Great for that ultra portable 2.5# tank ($7.88, oh, yes, any time!), borderline for 5# ($15.75) and definitely not for 20# ($63!). Plus 6% sales tax.

In the mean time, I understand you need to be frugal with CO2. You can naturally carbonate, but compare to the price of your priming sugar, although you can use regular sugar, doesn't need to be corn sugar.

Most beers can probably withstand simple siphoning into the bottom of an open keg, as long as you take precautions on how to avoid oxidation. As long as you fill them with 5 gallons, or a quart more, leaving little headspace, you're good to purge without wasting gallons of gas (and $$) each time you pull the PRV. What's that, a quarter a pull on a gallon headspace?

Hoppy beers, NE IPAs, I'd bite the bullet and use a pre-purged keg to avoid losing that fresh hop flavor and aroma. You've got $20 of hops in there!

There is no other place in town. next nearest largest city is 60 miles one way. I guess if I got a 20lb tank from Topeka at a decnt price it might be worth the drive but otherwise no. I do get co2 refills on my paintball tanks at dicks and a 21.5 pound tank is like 5 dollars. I did it that way for awhile even though its not bev gas I never noticed oil or anything in it. It became a PITA. As it is now I kinda do a half n half. I do use corn sugar but since I have a 4 tap keezeer I typically use about 2/3 the amount corn sugar let it sit for two weeks then into the kegerator and hooked to serving pressure. it carbs over a couple days. I have forced carbed stuff when I had to though. Not a big deal.

Thanks guys. Just kind of frustrating. Was all excited about legging my first batch of my own beer and equipment failure. Hopefully it will be ok.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if your new to brewing you have a whole lot of other "frustrations" to work through! :)

Hence the phrase, "relax and have a home brew"!

You should be fine. I have done things that frustrates the hell out of me and somehow or another beer comes out the other end!

Back