So far so good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm brewing my first mead ever. I'm making it quick so it can be sampled on Christmas. I made my must (1 Gallon), and fermented for 2 weeks. The airlock had almost completely stopped at this point. I racked it, and added vanilla and clove to steep and add flavor. I just racked it again and added potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite. I plan to back sweeten it with honey tonight. I KNOW this is super rushed and it'll be cloudy. I've tasted it and it tastes good, but tastes like flavored rum. It's VERY dry. How much honey should I use to sweeten it? And does it sound ok?

I believe it's recommended to add one cup at a time. But you have to be 100% sure it's not fermenting and will not start back up. If it does eeeek.

Yeah I know, that would be bad. Thanks. I'm going to wait till later tonight to add the honey. Let the stabilizers work. Is it uncommon to have a brew this rushed?

It won't be anywhere near ready and there's the possibility you may taint the idea of what a well made mead should taste like to whoever tastes it.

IMO you'd be better placed serving honey/vodka cocktails....

Yeah. I got the idea to try making it far too late. I'm ready to do it better next time! Thanks folks.

Back