So. . . after a blow off what do you do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepFL

ShepFL
Reaction score
for the lost beer? My Christmas ale lost about a 1/2 - 3/4 gallon. Do you top it off or chalk it up to experience and enjoy the balance?

I'd leave it be. Topping it off now, you'd dilute your wort or run the risk of oxidation or contamination.

the angel's share

Understood about the angle's share but what about the devil's cut. Stingy I guess. Hate loosing beer, especially home brew!

Thanks to all who have replied. Just going to go with it. Next time it will have blow off tube, suspected I needed it but took a chance :)

Shed a tear for the lost beer and then change your practice to avoid it in the future. Those really explosive ferments are usually from fermenting a bit warm. That warm ferment also will give you some interesting flavors like banana and bubble gum and hot alcohol. I like to keep my fermenter in the low 60's for the first week and the airlock only bubbles a couple times per second. Once the yeast settle down, you can let it warm up without any off flavors developing.

Clean off the ceiling, and floor, and walls, and sanitize/put the lid back on. Then clean the airlock and sanitize and reinstall it.

Havent had a spectacular blowoff yet though, so that is just what I would/will do if/when it happens.

Clean off the ceiling, and floor, and walls, and sanitize/put the lid back on. Then clean the airlock and sanitize and reinstall it.

Havent had a spectacular blowoff yet though, so that is just what I would/will do if/when it happens.

If you set up a blow off tube the krausen goes into a catch vessel instead of all over the room. Use one and it will save you a lot of clean up and angst about "did my beer get infected?"

I had a massive blowoff this weekend. I chose to put a positive spin on the experience:
1) Clearly I had not underpitched my yeast.
2) Clearly I had oxygenated my wort properly.
3) Thankfully it was in my unfinished basement on sealed cement.
4) Thankfully my wife rarely goes into the basement.
5) Thankfully I only lost a couple of quarts.

Lessons learned:
1) Kids have good ears when they want to. Mine may have heard some choice words when I discovered the mess.
2) Warm water is really good at cleaning the nasty, sticky yeast/sugar gunk up. But it will probably take a lot.
3) Blowoff tubes are better than airlocks, and I'm going to get rid of the little X-thingy in my airlock bases.
4) I will probably start putting my fermentation vessels into some sort of drop pan or tub to catch overflow.

I just make a ris, the first night I lost one gallon, after I put the blow off tube in a sanitized glass bottle and I save 1/4 gallon...
The next time I'm going to put the blow off tube in a bigger container and save all my beer :)

Shed a tear for the lost beer and then change your practice to avoid it in the future. Those really explosive ferments are usually from fermenting a bit warm. That warm ferment also will give you some interesting flavors like banana and bubble gum and hot alcohol. I like to keep my fermenter in the low 60's for the first week and the airlock only bubbles a couple times per second. Once the yeast settle down, you can let it warm up without any off flavors developing.

Agreed on to warm. Knew this in advance but a long day of brewing. Three 5 gallon batches abd got lazy at the end. Top it off it is August in Florida.

Back